Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Failed Hope Disc
  • footstomper
    Free Member

Whilst out on our weekly Tuesday Night ride one of the Lads had a very scary moment on the Decent from Darwen Tower, his rear Hope Sawtooth disc decided to come apart.
    It was on the very fast diagonal down section where you only use your brakes near the bottom or to slow down for walkers & slower riders; thankfully no one was using the path so he managed to use his front brake enough to reduce his speed before the water directional humps.

Nobody in our group has ever come across this before has anyone else had this happen?

It is being sent back to Hope for them to check out!

(As you can see in the photo there was non of the Sawtooth left on the disc)

greeble
    Free Member

i blame the trousers tucked into the socks and the mis matched bling gold that caused the failure

tomhoward

Looks like it took his chainstays wih it!

footstomper
    Free Member

i blame the trousers tucked into the socks

Thats the Darwen equivalent of a Skin Suit for going fast Downhill 😀

br
    Free Member

he managed to use his front brake enough to reduce his speed before the water directional humps.

Overuse of his rear brake maybe 😉 , needs to go up a size?

Can you/he measure the thickness of the rotor to see how worn it is?

footstomper
    Free Member

Looks like it took his chainstays wih it!

Suprisingly no other damage was done.

footstomper
    Free Member

I am sure it was a 200mm disc, I think he will be checking all the dimensions before sending back to Hope.

tinsy
    Free Member

If the disc, is still a disc, where is it? Did he remove it to get back to the car?

I had the bobbins in a front disc all come loose on a Husqvarna Supermoto I had, my pal spotted that some where missing all the other loose, pretty glad he did, I doubt it had another ride before the same thing happened. I never felt comfortable riding that bike after & sold it.

footstomper
    Free Member

If the disc, is still a disc, where is it? Did he remove it to get back to the car?

That is how it looked when he pulled up to check what was wrong. That is what was puzzling us you would have thought the outer brake area would have sheared and caught in the spokes or something but there was nothing left which suggested it had totally disintegrated 🙁

cyclistm
    Free Member

“which suggested it had totally disintegrated”

No chance, more than likely there are some big bits further up the trail

oli31
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a set of hope floating rotors in the classifieds recently described as having some play in the rivets ‘but this is normal for these and nothing to worry about’!

nixie

‘but this is normal for these and nothing to worry about’!

means they are ****! You get a horrible knock as you start to brake when they get like this.

footstomper
    Free Member

“which suggested it had totally disintegrated”

No chance, more than likely there are some big bits further up the trail

disintegrated past participle, past tense of dis·in·te·grate (Verb)
    Verb
    1.Break up into parts, typically as the result of impact or decay.
    2.(of a society, family, or other social group) Weaken or break apart.

No 1 Exactly what I meant 😀

rickt
    Free Member

disc cracked and pealed off around the caliper then.

only takes a split second i guess

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Failed Hope Disc’ is closed to new replies.