Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Facing a shit 9 months – thinking of starting a blog
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In January I will have my remaining right ankle fused. When I had the other bit of my ankle fused a few years back it was successful but a shit 9 months before I could get on a bike or do anything vaguely active. This led to ‘mild’ depression although that is mild on my own scale, never formally checked. I just knew that if on a ship I wouldn’t jump over board but also wouldn’t jump the queue for the life rafts. I count that as mild.

Now I am a month or so away from going through it all again and am not looking forward to it. Anyone who has read my threads will know I am not shy or worried about sharing Sensitive Private Personal Information (SPPI) occasionally so I was wondering if there was any benefit in starting a blog. The aim of the blog is multi-fold.

Primarily it will be to educate/entertain people about what is involved in recovering from another ankle fusion.

Secondarily it will hopefully give be some reason to bother. Bother to do anything, talk to anyone and not be a bastard to my wife because I am bored.

Thirdly it might be fun/useful.

The basic challenge is that I live what I consider a basically normal and boring life and cannot imagine other people being interested. The only counterpoint to this is the way other people refer to me as ‘different’ or ‘unusual’ some times.

What do you want to read in a Blog?
    What do you not want to read in a Blog?
    Lots of photos?

Please post links to blogs you follow so I have some idea what works*.

*If it makes shit loads of money then I will blow it on a party next year. You are invited!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to write a blog, then I discovered Instagram. Much easier for you and any readers, and Ive met a fair few good folks from there now.

thepurist

Your blog doesn’t need to be completely factual and truthful – invent some plot lines and see who calls you out.

jimjam
    Free Member

I like to read. I like the internet. I like to read things on the internet. I follow exactly 0 blogs or bloggers and to be honest I wonder who does.

However I do quite like some youtube channels which are basically video blogs. Vlogs. Consider that.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

doesn’t need to be completely factual and truthful

I have always had an on/off relationship with reality. Ask Chuck Berry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

With your story and history …. absolutely start a blog.

Insta is a good idea, your pretty good at updating us with photos and narrative. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised at the amount of followers you will get. Also, this will focus both thoughts and you’ll need to be inventive with pics (which you are) and include everything to do with coping mechanisms.

Plenty of (in) able bodied folks out there looking for both insight and help with their own issues.

Definitely do this..

IMO.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have some stuff on YouTube. Does this link work?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6_kGwq0qtWnNB7ioM4G6w?view_as=subscriber

I guess I could do it on video instead of text.

What’s Instagram? Does it do words, pictures and text?

garage-dweller

If it’s clear the person is writing from a position of both passion/genuine interest and knowledge but also doesn’t seem to be holding back/over editing out of caution and not allowing their personality to come out that works for me.

A bit of humour is always good and there is nothing wrong with a post being long. BUT if it is then shorter paragraphs, an image or two and good formatting is really important.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Link this blog into SottyGen and I’m sure they’ll help and assist with info and pic opportunities..
    Give them some long needed publicity too.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Link this blog into SottyGen and I’m sure they’ll help and assist with info and pic opportunities..

Check my ankle thread or other injury threads and there are plenty of pics of Xrays, Majors Unit etc…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eggzakerly..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

*Ton to the forum, Ton to the forum*

Jesus, that sounds bad WCA but Ton’s had heart surgery, an ankle fusion & now a hip relacement! If there’s one person who should start a blog It’s you two!

Cougar

I’ll give you one tip, but IMHO it’s a good one.

Write for yourself.

If people want to read it, they will. If not, WGAF? If you’re writing for an audience you’ll be constantly second-guessing yourself and probably ultimately disappointed. If you’re writing for your own pleasure / distraction / whatever, you’re onto a winner.

Do it.

Cougar

What’s Instagram?

Far as I could tell, it’s a platform for making reasonable photos look shit.

pondo

I’ll give you one tip, but IMHO it’s a good one.

Write for yourself.
    Abso-fricken-lutely.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

What’s Instagram?

Far as I could tell, it’s a platform for making reasonable photos look shit.
    [/quote]

Oh come on.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Me and Ton have privately emailed a few times already

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolutely worth doing for the reasons you posted, benefits to you and to others who may be going through the same thing or have it in their future. (EDIT: what Cougar says – do it for yourself. The rest will just follow naturally)

Personally I am not so interested in tons of pictures (too squimish) what I would care about is how you feel, how you are dealing with the downs, what you are looking forward to, your goals & milestones, your thought process on making treatment choices, the options available etc etc.

You could just write the material or you could record yourself saying it to camera having prepared what you wanted to say

Good luck

Cougar

Oh come on.

Good point. They’re usually not reasonable photos.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Buuuuutttt.. they’re in HDR so Day Is Wiv It.

jimjam
    Free Member

So you’ve obviously just failed to find any of the thousands of great photographers and artists on there.

The app must be rubbish then 😆

Kryton57

I think you should create a WCA beard growth thread, with weekly pictures of you beard.

Be interesting to see how bit it is in 9 months.

juanking

I found the one I started here back in February really helped me a lot. In a way it helped me to get my thoughts and emotions ‘down’ somewhere that I could also share with either those who knew me and I told them about it or folk who didn’t know me from Adam.

I find myself going back to the thread to remind myself of what I was feeling at the time and to be humbled by kind words from strangers.

Do it in whatever way is easiest and convenient.

Cheers.

roger_mellie

Instagram yesterday. Clearly dreadful photos 😉

[/url]

[/img]

ton

Nick, a blog would be good. it is always nice to see how people are getting on.

i tried instagram……hated it. and twitter. i like fb for messaging.
    and tumblr, for other things.

wiggles
    Free Member

I misread the title and thought you were planning to write a blog about a shit you were having in 9 months. Thought it was some weird pregnancy sympathy thing 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

I started one following a rock climbing accident but also used it in the run-up (hobble-up?) to my hip replacement partly as a means of remembering things but also as something to do and let off steam/frustration whilst recuperating. There’s a mixture of odd observations – my fingernails didn’t grow for six weeks – and general musings. Doing something, even if it’s just writing stream of conscious type guff, is better than just being a sponge/sink for everyone else’s moans. As Cougar says: write it for yourself.

Ton: Have you had your op yet?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ok, I have started.

1 post
    2 other pages

https://theworldclassaccident.blogspot.co.uk/

fisha
    Free Member

Go for it. Writing out your thoughts can be cathartic and help you deal with the thoughts you are having rather than bottling them up.

richen987
    Free Member

nice one Nick, bookmarked.
    loved all the youtube vids 🙂
    should link that into your blog too 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks – I will try to keep updating it.

I will be adding some historic content too for those who haven’t been stalking me previously 🙂

That way, if I mention the Big Bike Bash, Southampton Bike Park or the Tarty car people will know what it is.

Any comments or feedback on the blog page is welcome.

ctk
    Free Member

Instagram is worth doing IMO. You can link to your blog & its very easy. I love blogs but they are a dying art form.

ton

Ton: Have you had your op yet?

Bob, yes mate. 10 days ago. managed a 1 mile walk this morning. 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

Brilliant! Keep at it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well done Ton. More than I can do at the moment.

Perhaps you could start a blog?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

With all the good intentions I am trying to update the blog most days if I can think of anything interesting to say.

Once I actually have the op there may be more to write about but for the moment you just get to see what my life is like I guess.

The stats bit are interesting. Seems that some of you are reading it.

Entry http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/facing-a-shit-9-months-thinking-of-starting-a-blog
    Pageviews 42

I wonder how to get a wider audience?
    I wonder if I want one?

brakes
    Free Member

when will it be on Netflix?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

For the 8 of you who visited earlier today I have just posted todays words of wisdom. Sorry it is later than usual but I had to go to the garage to get my car…

http://theworldclassaccident.blogspot.com/2017/12/maintenance-and-collusion-between-toys.html

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wonder how to get a wider audience?

Have you asked in the chub club thread?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Facing a shit 9 months – thinking of starting a blog’ is closed to new replies.