Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Facebook really is toxic
  • mattyfez

So a ‘friend’ on Facebook posted a video of some chavs in a corsa or something, one leant out of the window and pushed an old man off his bike into a hedge row.
    I unfriended him and reported it to Facebook as ‘promoting violence’. But apparently attempted murder doesn’t breach their community guidelines.

What the actual…

doris5000

that’s odd, I reported a very similar sounding video a couple of years ago, and they did remove it.

But you’re right anyway, FB are still a bunch of shits

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It is indeed.

Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation, you might say.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Rubbish… It is people that are dicks… Gob-book is just a tool.

It is like saying cars are weapons of mass destruction.

Cheers!
    I.

kelvin

The drug of the nation!

Gob-book is just a tool.

No… systems can and do change people.

joepud
    Free Member

To be honest I think its the internet in general. Some awful comments get made here at times too.

ads678

In a way they are…

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yeah… Attacking people on their own…

Sorry, not buying it at all. People are making things as they are. Systems, tools or cars are tools only…

Cheers!
    I.

Dickyboy

Breaks out the blue and white 👍

I have a fb friend from when we were about 8yo to remind me both how lovely and horrible people can be, as they say know your enemy.

matt303uk

To be fair I’m currently finding FB quite a nice place, I’ve it locked down to friends (I don’t add many people to that group) non of which seem to be morons and well moderated groups, mostly cycling and EV stuff.

kelvin

Systems, tools or cars are tools only…

All effect their users behaviour. The more prevalent the use of the system/tool/cars, the more our behaviour is changed yet the harder it is to observe the effect, because it is “normal”.

nickc

I have blood on my hands – says former Facebook employee

Gob-book is just a tool.

Uh-huh, so if you had a tool that chopped people’s fingers off because it was broken or dangerous, you’d do something about it right? Put it behind a guard, regulate it?

mattyfez

I’d have expected him to have his account blocked, or at the very least removal of the post.. But no, just a recommendation that I ignore such behaviour.

For context, the video was posted with him saying that the old boy deserved it accompanied by some laughing emojies.

doomanic

The good thing about arsebook is the way it’s useful in filtering out casual acquaintances that you actually wouldn’t associate with if you knew them better.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sorry, not buying it at all. People are making things as they are. Systems, tools or cars are tools only…

Stanford Prison Experiment.

And, Nazis.

Godwin before page 2.

ElShalimo

It’s 2020, just ditch FB

ads678

Yeah… Attacking people on their own…

But big ass bombs or chemical weapons don’t kill people on their own, they have to be deployed by someone. When it comes to cars WE are the deployers and the victims….

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not getting rid of mine just yet though!

FB is shit though, I got rid about 6 years ago.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I unfriended him and reported it to Facebook as ‘promoting violence’. But apparently attempted murder doesn’t breach their community guidelines.

They let a man blow his head off with a shotgun during a livestream then left the video up for over an hour afterwards even though his friend warned them in advance that he needed help and the police were in attendance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54176205

But they can take down a video that breaches copyright within a matter of minutes.

To believe that social media is anything other than another way to sell you crap you don’t need and to farm data and information from people to sell them more crap they don’t need is naive, and you could ask “well what can they sell from the video of the twonks in the Corsa pushing an old man off his bike?”…….probably ad space for Corsas and bikes.

Social media was a fun experiment, but it seems the swirling cesspool massivley outweighs the good it can do. Also, people are dicks

tjagain

To be fair I’m currently finding FB quite a nice place, I’ve it locked down to friends (I don’t add many people to that group) non of which seem to be morons and well moderated groups, mostly cycling and EV stuff.

Thuis

My facebook is a place of fun, entertainment, positivity and support. Anyone who posts unpleasantness gets blocked.

tomd
    Free Member

Cheers!
    I.

This is a poor analogy.

We know that content that makes people angry or fearful gets more engagement. It just does. Facebook does better the more angry and confrontational content there is. More engagement, more users, more data, more ad revenue. It is genuinely evil. If you remember back, it was you connected with your mates. Now I don’t know any mates that post on there. Just a wasteland of adverts and content for folk to “comment” away on.

For your analogy to hold, car companies would have to somehow profit from people using their cars in bizarre and murderous ways. Which they don’t.

toby1

FB is terrible at so many things, but looking for a rescue dog recently, many of the smaller local places use it to advertise their dogs way before they will update their websites or any other platform. So as much as it sucks and most of it should be ignored there are small pockets of usefulness out there!

cultsdave
    Free Member

Rubbish… It is people that are dicks… Gob-book is just a tool

Guns don’t kill people, Rappers do!

ayjaydoubleyou

Systems, tools or cars are tools only…

Agreed. Someone is by nature an antisocial twit who doesn’t care for the safety and wellbeing of strangers. Giving them a car, or a facebook account reveals that nature to those around them (and can have actual physical effects on people around them) but does not change that the person is a twit who many centuries ago would have ridden their horse recklessly and thrown their chamberpot out of the window without looking.

EDIT – word that is one letter off twit is apparently verbotten.

nickc

Christ, FB users use the same arguments as the bloody NRA “my gun/facebook is totally fine, take away those other people’s guns/facebook, they’re the real bad actors…”

MoreCashThanDash

The good thing about arsebook is the way it’s useful in filtering out casual acquaintances that you actually wouldn’t associate with if you knew them better.

I found cutting my “friends” on FB from 300 to 30 made a huge difference to my quality of life, but Lord, they fill the gaps with some pretty random advertisements

trailwagger
    Free Member

I suggest everyone on this thread go watch “Social Dilemma” on Netflix.

Edit – especially those saying its “just a tool”

kelvin

For those that think that systems can only “reveal” someone’s nature, rather than shaping it, there have been plenty of experiments that suggest you are wrong. Your hunch does not trump the sum of human knowledge. Keep using Facebook, I do, but don’t pretend that it isn’t changing society, it is.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Guns don’t kill people, Rappers do!

I seen that in a documentary on BBC2

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    Drac

I reported a page that is very anti-immigrant and a post on it that mocked a Syrian burning calling it a start. It’s. It against the Facebook guidelines even after an appeal.

Cougar

For context, the video was posted with him saying that the old boy deserved it accompanied by some laughing emojies.

And Facebook made him do that, did it? Who would you blame if you saw it in person from a beer garden, the pub?

The problem isn’t the medium. The problem is people and your lack of quality control over who your “friends” are. A lot of folk treat Facebook like Pokemon. For a while I had “friends” who I knew from school say, but haven’t spoken to since leaving school, haven’t spoken on Facebook ever, and probably never even said more than two words to them when I was actually at school with them at the time.

Get rid of all the morons and build yourself a nice little echo chamber and you’ll never see stuff like that again.

molgrips
    Free Member

People are dicks, yes, their behaviour is very sensitive to lots of factors. Social media (and cars!) bring out the worst in people due to the psychological effects of not being face to face with someone. That’s why people can be nice as pie in the supermarket and act like total bastards as soon as they drive away.

Same with text based communication. When there’s no face, the social parts of our brains aren’t activated and we turn into arseholes. How many times have we heard ‘oh he’s alright in real life’ about forum regulars?

Cougar

… not that I’m saying Facebook itself is a bastion of righteousness, of course. But someone posting a video you don’t like, they’re your “friends.”

Cougar

Same with text based communication. When there’s no face, the social parts of our brains aren’t activated and we turn into arseholes. How many times have we heard ‘oh he’s alright in real life’ about forum regulars?

And the difference there being, as opposed to being on Facebook, as a reader you have no control over that.

(Well, I do, but y’know…😊)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The problem isn’t the medium. The problem is people and your lack of quality control over who your “friends” are.

I think we’re saying the problem is actually the medium.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

And Facebook made him do that, did it?

Milgram’s electrocution experiment; they never “made” the general public give the chap in the chair what they thought was a deadly amount of volts, but almost all of them did it.

People are easily lead.

Facebook leads them.

Daffy

Agreed. Someone is by nature an antisocial twit who doesn’t care for the safety and wellbeing of strangers. Giving them a car, or a facebook account reveals that nature to those around them (and can have actual physical effects on people around them) but does not change that the person is a twit who many centuries ago would have ridden their horse recklessly and thrown their chamberpot out of the window without looking.

That’s not quite true through, is it? Facebook allows people (all people, good or bad) a forum to air their personality and behavior, but the structure of Facebook allows positive reinforcement (which is a far more powerful psychological effect) through the “Like” button, but does not allow for a simplistic dislike. In fact, most people respond to negative behavior through abstention (either saying nothing or unfollowing) meaning that all these people see is those people who share similar tendencies, reinforcing their viewpoint that their own behavior is okay. They don’t include a dislike button because doing so would ultimately reduce user numbers as vile posts are voted down and people leave the site for various reasons.

Yes, facebook is a tool, but it’s not a fair or balanced one, it’s not a blade that cuts equally both ways, it’s an axe which encourages use of one side more than the other as it’s designed explicitly to do that.

sockpuppet

Bit of a faulty analogy, really.

But even cars change the way people act.

The risks of killing and maiming others that folk decide are ok because they’re driving just don’t compare to what they’ll do in other settings.

Pleasant mumsy types who insist on cutting their kids grapes in half to avoid the risk of choking turn into foul mouthed hags yelling out their windows because they decide that someone held them up.

Which is awkward when you’re all going to the same school drop off…

Facebook certainly does influence the way folk act and what they’re willing to agree with, or look the other way over.

And to act as if it’s an innocent third party is naive at best.

tjagain

As above – for me facebook is a place of fun, support and friendship. I don’t see any of this toxic stuff. Its all about how you use it.

kelvin

Get rid of all the morons and build yourself a nice little echo chamber and you’ll never see stuff like that again.

This approach also changes society. It’s as powerful as the “let it all come at me” approach to using Facebook. The doc that Malvern Rider posted has a, not entirely successful, go at explaining why. But the means we use to create silos (I do the the same as you) on Facebook, and how they are used by Facebook itself and those they are selling access to us to, are damaging to ourselves and others.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Facebook really is toxic’ is closed to new replies.