Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Facebook: how to remove ‘people you may know suggestions’?
  • strike
    Free Member

<p>This drives me mad seeing complete randoms!  Any way when using fb via an iPhone (but NOT using the app) to remove suggested friends?</p>

IHN

It was once suggested to me that I may know ex-PM and cricket fan, John Major. Amazingly, I don’t.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, I’m get the same shit and I dthink t even post on there.. just use it for surf forecasts.. yet rarely see anyone who is involved in surfing 🤪

prettygreenparrot

Easy. Leave facebook. I left at the beginning of the year and I’ve not looked back.

by the way, they’re not ‘random’. they’re being suggested based upon proximity and clustering in your social network. And if you’ve given facebook access to your address book/contacts list on your phone then you’ve magnified the effect. facebook, like LinkedIn, sucks in all your address book information and uses that to identify even more ‘nodes’ in the social network ‘graph’. It’s why on LinkedIn folks are often surprised that professionally irrelevant people are suggested as potential connections.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1106.2503.pdf

http://social.cs.uiuc.edu/papers/pdfs/Eslami-SocInfo14.pdf

mahalo

id be interested to know this too.

i got tired of all the inane bullshit my ‘friends’ post but still quite enjoy the tailored news feed, so i closed my account and started a new one with the intention of having zero friends but just liking and following pages i can read and comment on anonymously.

facebook cant comprehend this and im barraged with ‘people who i may know’ so much so its more annoying than seeing what Sharon had for tea on Tuesday.

think i will go the way of prettygreenparrot

whitestone
    Free Member

The “suggested friends/contacts” algorithms can be quite amusing at times. I got an email from Google Plus (yes I know) suggesting that I might like to make contact with three people.

The first was my boss who sat next to me. Yep, that’s proximity for you. The next was my best man. The third was a cracker – it was me! Obviously I needed some quality face time with myself. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

got tired of all the inane bullshit my ‘friends’ post but still quite enjoy the tailored news feed, so i closed my account and started a new one with the intention of having zero friends but just liking and following pages i can read and comment on anonymously.

Quite simple, just unfollow them. I generally accept friend requests from anyone I know that sends one, then UF straight away, unless I bike or run with them.

As for the OP, its one line of pics, just scroll past it.

oldnpastit

Don’t use facebook.

Sometimes I feel bad that poor old Mark Zuckerburg might lose a few billion $$$ because of my selfish attitude but I have learned to live with the guilt.

DickBarton

Hit the X in top right of suggested contact or a remove option. They’ll keep coming back based on plenty things including if the suggested person has looked at your profile on Facebook.

Or has been suggested, just scroll past.

Don’t use the app as it harvests everything it can from your phone, just use the website via your browser as it does most things, just not the deep trawl of your device.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Facebook: how to remove ‘people you may know suggestions’?’ is closed to new replies.