Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Facebay ???
  • cinnamon_girl

Anyone use this for selling non-bikey items? Don’t, and won’t, have a Facebook account (could ask my kids to use theirs) but not sure whether I want random peeps rockin’ up at my door.

Thanks!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Wouldn’t trust random peeps. They will come back and help themselves. FB is a easy way to track when people go out or on holiday

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

When I saw Facebay, I though Tinder. just me? Carry on.
    😳

GrahamS

There are a couple of local private “Buy, Swap or Give Away” selling Facebook groups for our local area. We use them quite a bit to buy stuff and get rid of assorted stuff we don’t want.

90% of the time we know the buyer/seller anyway.

FB is a easy way to track when people go out or on holiday

You don’t have to Friend people to buy or sell from them.

cinnamon_girl

Graham – that does sound good but I guess you’re knowing the buyers/sellers through having children?

Using Ebay would mean paying fees on low value items so presumably I’ll not end up with much which is rather frustrating as some items are new.

Thanks for the replies!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone use this for selling non-bikey items?

Occasionaly use the local versions on facebook, most well priced stuff dissaperes in minutes/hours, anything overpriced never sells, the market is 2 clicks away from googling what it’s worth or checking ebay, so you won’t get more for it than there.

mrsfry – Member

Wouldn’t trust random peeps. They will come back and help themselves. FB is a easy way to track when people go out or on holiday

As above, how exactly would they figure out when you’re on holliday. Tick the little privacy boxes and all you can see is your name and a photo. It’s about as private as walking down the highstreet with my work ID still round my neck. You’d have an easier time on STW finding more info.

And “random peeps” could just wlak past my house and decide to help themselves. The fact I’ve sold them something isn’t going to change that. It’s not like I go round giving them a tour pointing out the jewlery boxes.

We also use freecycle a lot, yes there’s no money changing hands, but we tend to get as much stuff as we give away (recently set of kitchen units and worktop for the garrage and a garden shredder).

scotroutes

+1. Never had a problem.

mrsfry
    Free Member

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Burglars+target+facbook&oq=Burglars+target+facbook&gs_l=serp.3..0i13i30.19883.26443.0.26697.14.14.0.0.0.0.127.1170.12j2.14.0….0…1c.1.64.serp..0.14.1166.DWb0UwJSLVM

🙁

skids
    Free Member

I have seen people buying random stuff such as phones for silly money on facebook, remember this is the lowest common denominator many people on facebook don’t know how to use the rest of the internet, ebay etc

DezB
    Free Member

Like Gumtree innit? I’ve had random folks come up and collect sideboards, cabinets, a sky dish etc… I sling open my garage, revealing a crop of expensive bikes, hand over the goods, they give me the cash.
    Either they’re biding their time before returning or random folk aren’t as dodgy as some of you scaremongers believe.

trail_rat
    Free Member

want to sell , dont want people coming to your house

sounds like you need a carboot sale…..

meanwhile i generally give low value stuff to charity if family/friends dont want it to avoid this conundrum.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could arrange to meet up somewhere locally, instead of your house, ie outside a local shop or pub. I’ve done this a few times, but mostly because its easier than giving directions to my house.

scotroutes

See, my paranoia is that I’d then be buying stolen goods. I think there’s something a bit shirty with that option

GrahamS

mrsfry: well yes..

People posting public status messages saying things like “Well that’s the whole family off for two weeks in Barbados. Hope the house will be okay. Key is under the mat if there are any problems” *might* get targeted.

But I sincerely doubt any burglars are targeting me based on the second-hand Mondeo roof rack I sold last month for a tenner.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sold a car last year on the local “cars for sale” FB group. Zero cost and it was sold in under 24 hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Facebay ???’ is closed to new replies.