• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Face-to-face doctors appointments
  • lunge

Err, has anyone managed to get one recently?
    Just tried my GP as I need them to have a look at something for me, not something that I can think how they can do over the phone, and got told there was no chance of a face-to-face appointment.
    Is this the norm now?

tomhoward

I had one about 6 months ago. Had a phone appt first, where it became clear that the doc needed to see what I was talking about.

tjagain

My gps are doing telephone triage – so the first point is a telephone consultation then the GP decides if a face to face consultation is needed. If they feel its needed then its decided how urgent. I had a face to face the same day as a telephone consult.

brads
    Free Member

Nope. Nae chance here.

Seen a physio though.

iolo
    Free Member

Not a problem here in Austria. Turn u without appointment and wait. Same goes for Dentists. The health care system here is amazing, It was one of the reasons why I left the UK.

TomB

Get a phone appointment, discuss with doc, make a shared plan. It might be something that they can appropriately refer to a specialty with enough history over the phone, or realise that you need a f2f and arrange as needed.

richmars

Yes, but phone appointment first, then face to face.

ahsat

Had first f2f apt in the last year a couple of weeks ago, after a phone call with GP where she decided she needed to do an assessment in person.

Miguelo

As others have said, initially telephone triage by gp then if needed face to face. Video consultation also available and photos can be sent too (for a rash for example) as some patients prefer not to come if possible.

It’s not about the state of the healthcare system iolo , it’s because of the pandemic.

donald
    Free Member

Things that can be dealt with over the phone are being dealt with over the phone here.

UTI? Don’t come in, pick up a course of anti-biotics from the chemist

Weird chest pain? Come in NOW, let’s have a look at you. OK – don’t think you’re going to die right now but we’ll make a telephone apppointment with the cardiologist.

Bleeding mole? Don’t come in. We’ll make an oupatient appointment with the dermatologist.

DrP

Get a phone appointment, discuss with doc, make a shared plan. It might be something that they can appropriately refer to a specialty with enough history over the phone, or realise that you need a f2f and arrange as needed.

This, basically

DrP

Northwind

I haven’t but we had a few home visits for my mum, was never a problem.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I had one last week (UK). Didn’t want to go as I felt terrible, but they needed to prod me. I think it could have been done over the phone with me prodding myself.

slowol

Had a couple of appointments over the last few months. Mainly phone but when they need to see and prod you they arrange an appointment.
    A bit different to ‘usual’ as there is little waiting, even the GP and healthcare assistant wear scrubs, and anything that can be done sensibly by phone or email is (like a lot of workplaces at present).
    This morning I had blood taken for tests. No issues, same surgery staff but you can’t see the smiles or grimaces on all our faces anymore behind the masks.
    Start on the phone and if the doctor needs to see you they will. If it’s a rash or something they may ask you to email photos in the first instance.
    Hope you get sorted soon OP!

brads
    Free Member

I was asked to email pics of some moles in before I get them looked at in person, but not sure when they are actually seeing folk. (for non urgent stuff obv)

goslow

Phone discussion first then face to face. Quite quick too.

Freester

Yup a couple of times. Phone conversation followed by an in person appointment as the GP deemed necessary.

LMT
    Free Member

It’s taken me 2 weeks to get past the receptionist, didn’t believe I had hayfever 2 weeks ago and my eyes where on fire. Even after I told her I had meds on repeat I needed the eye drops the doctor previous year said I couldn’t have anymore i should buy over the counter…pharmacist told me I needed to the ones I had been prescribed the year before, so caught in a daily tug of war, in the end I told the receptionist I had called every day for 2 weeks and she agreed I had, so I ended up threatening to sit on the doctors car until I got a call, got a call that day and eye drops and he asked why I didn’t call earlier….now have them on repeat.

It’s been tough, dentist on the other hand never stopped have had 2 check ups during covid.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Face-to-face doctors appointments’ is closed to new replies.