Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • F1 testing
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Is anyone else laughing at the problems Red Bull are having yet still convinced that Mr Finger will be on the top step of the podium next November?
    Those numbers on the laps that the different engines have completed are interesting, but of course this is testing and designed to find these weak points. I still can’t understand how something that costs so much to build and develope can fail in its trip down the pit lane. Don’t they ever fire these things up at the factory on a rolling road?

tomhoward

Don’t they ever fire these things up at the factory on a rolling road?

Not allowed IIRC. Though engines do go on a dyno.

Red Bull are always crap at tests, don’t let that fool you.

stumpy01

How are you watching it? Online feed?

Would be interested to have a peek….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just the beeb text updates. There is a live feed if you Google sky f1 live feed you will find it.

stumpy01

Ooooh. Beeb text updates sounds like the way forward.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Quote from Christian Horner:”The power unit is such a fundamental change and so complicated that it is a game changer in Formula 1. We will be relying extremely heavily on our engine partner. Power unit and reliability will be the decisive factors this season.”

Maybe Renault will be this year’s Pirelli

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Also going by the numbers it Looks like Lotus haven’t missed out on too much. The should get all the same upgrades as the other Renault users without all the sitting around in Jerez.

thepurist

IMO I reckon the RedBull problem is partly linked to all their KERS issues in the past. They seem to package things very tightly in the car and so have struggled with cooling of the KERS system, and now the rules have mandated the position of the batteries under the fuel cell (as opposed to the gearbox area where RBR used to have them) they’ve got more work to do to keep the more powerful, more important ERS system happy.

Caterham have done more laps than RBR on the Renault so far, and the things stopping them running more seem to be more mundane than smoke pouring out of the car…

back2basics
    Free Member

Does the sister team of RBR run renault too? or ferrari?

Would RBR dump renault mid season if its a disaster? merc engines in the back?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m also liking the paranoia in some of the tests on the BBC site where Bernie’s suggestions of 3 double points races at the end of the season are seen as an attempt to be certain that if Red Bull have a slow start to the season then they can still win. personally I’d give double points to the first race as well to reward those who did their research and design as much as those who did their development.

BTW: big Maclaren, Button and Alonso fan here. Just to set out my bias.

thepurist

Bernie’s suggestion of 3 double points races are probably there to get people talking about F1 testing in the news and to stop them talking about his pending court case in Germany. AFAICS the teams, drivers and fans all thing double points is stupid, yet still it didn’t get voted down at the last meeting.

legend
    Free Member

Would RBR dump renault mid season if its a disaster?

Very unlikely for a few reasons, one of which being that another engine probably wouldn’t fit without a massive re-design.

People also seem to be forgetting that Renault have an amazing history in F1, I would be wary of under-estimating them.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Horner setting is stall out and ready to blame Renault should things not go their way though.

I’m sure they’ll get a reasonable level of reliability but still encounter a few French electrical gremlins during the season.

retro83
    Free Member

back2basics – Member

Does the sister team of RBR run renault too? or ferrari?

Would RBR dump renault mid season if its a disaster? merc engines in the back?

legend – Member

Very unlikely for a few reasons, one of which being that another engine probably wouldn’t fit without a massive re-design.

People also seem to be forgetting that Renault have an amazing history in F1, I would be wary of under-estimating them.

Also Renault have been very helpful to RB with their engines over the last few years, mapping tricks, off throttle blowing etc. Can’t imagine merc or ferrari being to helpful to them in the same way. Honda maybe in 2015 though.

honeybadgerx

So, McLaren or Mercedes for 2014 constructors champ? Both cars seem to be fairly quick, plus, going on Magnussen’s times today, good driver pairings. Or possibly Ferrari? – Not quite convinced they’ll be back in the game this year though.

shermer75
    Free Member

I would say that the BBC coverage is really lacking the depth of knowledge that Gary Anderson normally provides. Such a shame they’ve given him the boot! When’s Alan McNish gonna start giving his tuppence worth?

thepurist

I would say that the BBC coverage is really lacking the depth of knowledge that Gary Anderson normally provides

Ross Brawn’s got a bit of time on his hands. That’d be quite some signing for the Beeb tho!

Edit – McNish did some of the FP1/2 commentary last year & was pretty good as a driver pundit, but obviously can’t explain a Coanda exhaust using a notepad and a Bic biro like GA could.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, shame they couldn’t have Scarbs or somebody like that instead. Nothing against McNish but a techy is needed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quote from Christian Horner:”The power unit is such a fundamental change and so complicated that it is a game changer in Formula 1. We will be relying extremely heavily on our engine partner blaming someone else.

Fixed that for him.

clubber
    Free Member

I read it that way too…

Sandwich

Don’t they ever fire these things up at the factory on a rolling road?

It would take off, probably! 😉
    Or not, what do we all think?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’d be OK if they put the rolling road on the ceiling,

Probably.

Or a conveyor belt.

scotroutes
    dannybgoode

I don’t think RB are sand bagging. With such massive rule changes they all want as much track time as possible.

If they were actually on the track they may not show their true pace but they at least one to be on it.

I think after today Renault powered cars have done something like 40 laps and Merc powered cars well over 300. That is a very significant difference and if the Renault cars don’t get some good running tomorrow they will start getting a bit twitchy.

As for changing powerplants mid-season I don’t think they could. The systems are not interchangeable and the Merc plant would not fit on to the RB floor without the whole car being redesigned so they would be stuffed for at least a season.

The Bahrain tests could be very interesting!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘F1 testing’ is closed to new replies.