F1 car can drive upside down?

Home Forum Chat Forum F1 car can drive upside down?

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • F1 car can drive upside down?
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

G is a ratio unit used in aeronautics, as well as the constant in physics.

maxtorque

You wouldn’t do it for very long, before the fuel /oil pumps sucked air and you “fell off”……….(………..)

CountZero

It’s possible for a human to run around a complete loop, without falling off, so a high-speed vehicle with enormous amounts of downforce ought to be able to do it.

tomkerton

The sky advert doesn’t show it doing a loop. It shows it driving upside down and claims this is reality. I call BS but I think we have to discount the engine failing upside down. Andy rocketeer has some interesting numbers. I have some aerodynamicists I know working on this! Will report back!

coffeeking

Yes it’s possible, has been for decades. Even the new Maclaren Road car produces 6KN of downforce at full speed, and can go over speed humps.

fr0sty125

If the engine works upside down and the car can get up to speed before gradually turning upside down then yes easy.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

The sky advert doesn’t show it doing a loop. It shows it driving upside down and claims this is reality.

Really?

tomkerton

Slowoldman – yes! A CGI sequence shows the car zipping along inverted and says ‘these cars produce so much downforce they can even drive upside down’.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Even the new Maclaren Road car produces 6KN of downforce at full speed, and can go over speed humps

F1 car needs 14kN to stick to the ceiling just to overcome gravity and have the same downforce (upforce?) as a parked F1 car. Or the same downforce as a car the right way up where all the wings fell off at high speed (I’m assuming that all downforce comes from the wings here, for simplicity). We’ve certainly seen how little braking ability they have in that situation, but never how little drive traction they have when the rear wing falls off.

sharkbait

Downforce gives you grip for corners, but makes you slower on the straights, so its a balance that is adjusted by circuit. Its also why you have thing like DRS so you can reduce the downforce generated by the wing

Downforce has nothing to do with forward speed along a straight section of track. It’s drag that makes you slower going forwards. The wings job is to create downforce but this cannot be done without creating drag at the same time, the trick is to get the balance of the two right. DRS reduces the drag (by effectively making the rear wing smaller but this also reduces the downforce – which it why they only use it on straight sections of the track.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Slowoldman – yes! A CGI sequence shows the car zipping along inverted and says ‘these cars produce so much downforce they can even drive upside down’.

CGI you say? I wonder why they didn’t show actual footage.

yes but the tarmac lorry would need to go upside down too, and they are much much slower.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘F1 car can drive upside down?’ is closed to new replies.