Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,907 total)
  • F1 2023 (will 100% contain spoilers)
  • mashr

It would be really nice if they tweaked the hybrid rules to suit Cadillac

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl_4vwIouRT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

nickc

I think the obvious that most folks seem to be missing is that Caddy is owned by General Motors.

vlad_the_invader

I think you’ll find it hard looking for laughs if you think they’re going to be a comedy set-up.

Nah, you misunderstand me. If I was any good at Photoshop, I’d be grafting sidepods and wings onto pictures of a pimped out Escalade with 20″ Chrome rims…

thepurist

I think the obvious that most folks seem to be missing is that Caddy is owned by General Motors

Well aware of that, but GM also own Chevrolet who at least make sports cars (well, American sports cars). Their choice to use the Cadillac brand is what puzzles me.

simondbarnes

I think it’s a bit lame that the largest car manufacturer in the US wants to join F1 and use someone else’s power unit. Either do it properly right from the start or don’t bother.

Chew
    Free Member

Still puzzled why F1 want to keep on attracting Car companies to start teams.

Don’t they remember the early 2000’s when they all came in, didn’t win and then exited a few years later, and left the sport in a mess???

nickc

Either do it properly right from the start or don’t bother

best of both worlds for GM. They get to be in F1, the investment is cheap and “not really” a works team, so if it goes pear shaped they just get to walk away. If Andretti is successful, then GM can take the time to build new engines in a few years after they know what they’re doing.

I will bet money that other car firms will watch with interest. Right now it’s a perfect time to get into F1 where there’s an actual return on your investment.

thols2

Their choice to use the Cadillac brand is what puzzles me.

GM slimmed down their brands after the recession 15 years ago. Chevy is their affordable brand, Cadillac is their luxury brand, but that includes performance vehicles to compete with BMW, etc.

Problem for me is that I doubt that GM top management understand what it will take to become competitive. They will basically need to hire someone like Binotto and just give him a billion dollars and five years, then stand back and let him run things as he pleases. I can’t see that happening – they will want quarterly progress updates and probably think they’ll be winning championships within the first two or three years.

rOcKeTdOg

Caddy concept
    FB_IMG_1673106830743

vlad_the_invader

^^^
    Yeah, Vlad approves!

Daffy

Too much mocking of Cadillac. The CTSV was THE best sports saloon of the past decade. Better than Mercedes, BMW and Audi. They can build a great engine and chassis. Let’s see what they come up with.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Cadillac have been competing in Prototype in the IMSA championship, as part of GM Corvette have notable success in Gt endurance racing- including type wins at Le Mans ……. And Andretti are super successful too. Sounds great to me 🤷‍♂️

thols2

Cadillac have been competing in Prototype in the IMSA championship, as part of GM Corvette have notable success in Gt endurance racing- including type wins at Le Mans ……. And Andretti are super successful too.

Indycar runs spec chassis and aero kits, and there are only two engine manufacturers. It still takes a decent amount of tech knowhow to set up the cars and win championships, but F1 is an order of magnitude more complex (and expensive). The last couple of decades have been dominated by Chip Ganassi and Penske (like Red Bull and Merc in F1), with Andretti like Ferrari, McLaren, or Renault – often competitive, winning a championship here and there, but never really delivering on the promise.

The Corvettes are impressive cars, but their engine technology is pretty basic. Nothing in that program will be relevant to setting up an F1 engine program. The Chevy IndyCar engine is build by Ilmor (which is no longer connected to the Mercedes F1 engine program). Ilmor and Honda are struggling to supply the existing Indycar teams, they’ve delayed the introduction of new generation engines because they just don’t have the resources to develop new engines and supply the existing ones. Which means that the existing Ilmor engineers and factory can’t contribute anything to an F1 program.

It’s not impossible that GM and Andretti will succeed in F1, but it will be extremely difficult and their Indycar and IMSA experience won’t really be much use. They will need to hire experienced F1 technical staff, give them the budget to set up a world-class factory, and then give them five years to build a competitive team. I hope they succeed but, realistically, they are more likely to end up like Jaguar, BMW, or Toyota than Mercedes.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

They have to convince F1 first!

the-muffin-man

It’s my understanding that they aren’t planning on building an F1 engine initially, just doing a tie-in (possibly with Honda).

Building a mid-field chassis shouldn’t be too difficult with GMs resources.

the-muffin-man

Decent article as to why Andretti/Cadillac isn’t being greeted with open arms…

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why-f1-and-teams-are-still-not-impressed-by-andrettis-new-team-plans/10418569/

thols2

It’s my understanding that they aren’t planning on building an F1 engine initially, just doing a tie-in (possibly with Honda).

Have Honda actually confirmed that they have any interest in helping GM? Why would they? There is some speculation about that, based on Honda and GM cooperating on road car EV technology, but that has pretty much zero relevance for F1.

Building a mid-field chassis shouldn’t be too difficult with GMs resources.

Does GM have an F1 grade wind-tunnel that is sitting idle? Do they have the test rigs and simulators needed to develop an F1 car sitting idle? Do they have an engine factory with hundreds of technicians experienced in developing and building F1 engines sitting idle?

The answer to all those questions is “no.” Which means they have two years to build state of the art facilities and hire staff, then one year to actually build a car to compete in 2026. They are looking at a customer Renault engine deal (because Renault have no customers and will be required to supply engines under the rules). GM can afford to pay for an F1 program, but nothing they are doing now will transfer. They will need to set up new facilities and hire experience technical staff from other teams. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. Running around the back of the field competing with Haas and Williams will not be what GM management expect from a works backed programme.

the-muffin-man

LOL – welcome to F1 Michael – F1 has always been and always will be about greed and self interest! 🙂

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/andretti-says-greed-is-behind-f1-negativity-of-entry-plans/10419102/

shermer75
    Free Member

Former Mercedes Chief Strategist James Vowles to be the new Williams Team Principle. I wish him all the luck and hope he and Williams do well, but I’ll be honest startegy hasn’t always been my favourite part of the Mercedes team

Williams appoint James Vowles as new team principal – https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64260044

oomidamon

Seems like quite a step up from strategist to TP! Good luck to him.

thols2

Seems like quite a step up from strategist to TP! Good luck to him.

There’s no gardening leave which means that Merc have agreed to release him. He was apparently favourite to replace Toto as Merc TP when he eventually steps down. My guess is that this gives Vowles some experience running a team so he’ll be ready to take over at Merc when Toto retires. It’s always possible that Toto is the mystery owner of Williams, of course.

Twodogs

Jenny Gow news

Jenny Gow suffered a stroke 2 weeks ago….hope she recovers fully, I like her input on the radio 5 commentary

simondbarnes

Oh 😢

shermer75
    Free Member

Jenny Gow suffered a stroke 2 weeks ago….hope she recovers fully, I like her input on the radio 5 commentary

Oh wow, that is a shocker. She is very young to have that! Really unlucky, she always seemed like a very likeable person

jimster01

Bugger, that is really bad news, I love the chequered flag podcast with her at the helm.😢

P20

Shocked to hear about Jenny, hope she make a good recovery.

I think it’s a good signing for Williams, though probably no chance of signing Bottas

the-muffin-man

Gossip Monday…

thols2

Christ, Williams the team that turned up for testing without a car, Porche the engine manufacturer that doesn’t have facilities to build an engine. I can see some synergy happening there.

thepurist

Toto would be a tad miffed if he’s released Vowles to go and help Porsche develop an engine. But on the flipside, there’s potential for the best livery on the grid.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Christ, Williams the team that turned up for testing without a car, Porche the engine manufacturer that doesn’t have facilities to build an engine

All they need to do now is to employ the Ferrari Race Strategists for the full house

pocpoc
    Free Member

I watched the Mexico Formula E race on Saturday night. Never really watched it before but new Gen3 cars were getting a bit of news so I thought I’d give it a go. And, even as an F1 fan and all that that entails, I found it incredibly boring and confusing. Very nearly fell asleep at one point and thankfully I was catching up on Youtube so could skip forward.
    A few things that I observed – cars that can follow very closely but seems impossible to overtake. Lucas DiGrassi managed to defend a podium position from about 20% of the way in to the race even though he was clealy slower than everyone else – think Ricciardo in Monaco with a failing car.
    And the “attack mode” – you have to go offline though a virtual gateway to trigger it, during which you’re likely to lose a place because as above, they can follow so close. But then the extra power that attack mode gives you is pointless because all you can do is crawl all over the back of the car in front but not actually overtake it.
    And, I know this is FIA-wide, but every time a car stops on track there’s about 5 laps under full safety car to allow marshalls on track. Yes it’s a safety thing but surely this can be done virtually like F1 and slow them right down by restricting power to make broken car removal a couple of laps shorter? And then to top it off, they add an arbitary number of laps to the end of the race to make up for it like football stoppage time.
    I think I’ll stick with F1 (assuming it’s not another Verstappen single-car championship this year).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bit more involved than I thought if this is true.

Porsche buys Williams

stumpy01

Ah, buggerations. Just seen the news about Jenny Gow. I really hope she recovers well. Sad news.

chrismac

Christ, Williams the team that turned up for testing without a car, Porche the engine manufacturer that doesn’t have facilities to build an engine. I can see some synergy happening there.

It can just change the badge on the Audi engine and use the same facilities

the-muffin-man

…not sure Audi will agree to that! There’s ‘beef’ between the two companies. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I heard that too! Apparently the rivalry is very intense

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I heard that too! Apparently the rivalry is very intense

Surely not. Those cheating, bastard, four ringed stunt weasels are valued members of our big happy family

pondo

Ooo – prettiest F1 car ever, and it’s the one with the interesting history! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.