Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,907 total)
  • F1 2023 (will 100% contain spoilers)
  • johndoh
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see how much has changed on the “new concept” Merc

They are introducing it for the next round, aren’t they?

shermer75
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Roboto, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Arial, ‘Noto Sans’, sans-serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, ‘Apple Color Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Symbol’, ‘Noto Color Emoji’; background-color: #eeeeee;”> I don’t remember the Merc prancing off into the distance so easily, were they really so dominant?</span>

It’s pretty close, but as others have said the main difference is the massive leap forward Red Bull have made this season. It’s hard to imagine another team winning this year, it may well be a Red Bull clean sweep without an intra-team battle to look forward to

the-muffin-man

All I can add is this will never happen between Max and Checo – just won’t be allowed by ‘the management’ of Red Bull – the rivalry between Nico and Lewis was up there with Senna and Prost at times…

multi21
    Free Member

johndohFree Member
    It’ll be interesting to see how much has changed on the “new concept” Merc
    They are introducing it for the next round, aren’t they?

Yeah, I’ve read different things as to the extent of the changes which will be in place at Imola, anywhere from steering and front suspension to steering, front suspension, floor, and bodywork.  George tested the new steering system at Miami I think.

Red Bull and Aston have anti-dive geometry on their front suspension, so will be interesting to see if it is possible to Merc to adopt that within the confines of their current chassis (I assume there is no hope of having budget to homologate another one?)

the-muffin-man

Spyshot of Mercedes B-Spec car concepts…

…now then Toto – Triple Bananas or Bullet Bill!?

multi21
    Free Member

the-muffin-manFull Member
    Spyshot of Mercedes B-Spec car concepts…

yuki in the middle there

Bez

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter – story has gone mainstream now though…

I don’t think you take on a driver of Ricciardo’s calibre to just stick him in the simulator so I’ve always assumed they were lining him up for a race seat. I initially thought that they were going to ditch Perez, but he’s really stepped up this year, so I guess an Alpha Tauri seat makes sense if de Vries doesn’t cut Franz and Marko’s mustard.

thols2
    Free Member

I don’t think you take on a driver of Ricciardo’s calibre to just stick him in the simulator so I’ve always assumed they were lining him up for a race seat.

I don’t normally have much nice to say about Horner and Helmut, but I suspect they like DR and respect him as a driver. I think they were genuinely shocked and disappointed to lose him and they’ve struggled to find a replacement in the same league. They’ve seen how good he is when he has a car that he’s comfortable with, plus their pool of developmental drivers seems to have dried up. My money is on Devries not lasting the season, he reminds me of Brendan Hartley – an obviously accomplished driver who you want to see do well, but just doesn’t seem to be up to the job of F1.

multi21
    Free Member

Re the Imola upgrades, there’s a nice article here about what Gary Anderson thinks is wrong with the Merc.

The comments around the centre of pressure sound quite plausible, I think somebody on STW had commented on Mercs front wing being flexible before. It is quite visible in the onboards.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-what-mercedes-must-prove-with-its-imola-upgrade/

multi21
    Free Member

I reckon there’s a chance they will cancel this race. There’s serious flooding around Imola, and more rainfall predicted.

the-muffin-man

A lot of talk on Twitter about the flooding, but nothing at all on mainstream F1 sites.

Surely they’d have cancelled by now as kit will already have arrived and set-up will be well under way.

multi21
    Free Member

I would think they’ll leave it as late as possible now due to the financial implications of cancelling the race at this late stage.

nickc

Planet F1 have articles on it now. Given the debacle of the Spa race a couple of years back, I think if there’s any chance of heavy rain all weekend, they’ll just cancel it

johndoh
    Free Member

Apparently, the rain is expected to ease as the week progresses, and the race is still scheduled to go ahead.

mashr

nickc
    Planet F1 have articles on it now. Given the debacle of the Spa race a couple of years back, I think if there’s any chance of heavy rain all weekend, they’ll just cancel it

Only if they can find a way to hold on to all the money

multi21
    Free Member

Apparent tweet from the compound (unverified)

🟡 This is how the TV compound is today at the Enzo e Dino Ferrari Autodrome (headquarters of the Emilia-Romagna GP).

https://twitter.com/Armandrums86/status/1658480869542367236

Heavy rain and risk of flooding in Imola. The circuit is evacuated

bruneep

the-muffin-man

There’s a meeting this morning apparently to decide what they’re going to do.

But looking at the latest videos on Twitter there’s no way this race should run. It would drag resources away from rescue efforts and bring 1000’s into the area when they need to be keeping people away.

multi21
    Free Member

My thoughts are with those in the area, it looks dreadful. 5 missing so far. 😔

Re. the race, even if they ran it would fans, the logistics of setting up the race for the teams will be difficult, they’ve missed a day of setup, plus they need to repair whatever damage has occurred in the pit boxes.

Not to mention the helicopter needs to be available and have good enough weather conditions to take off and land (presuming the roads are still impassable).

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve just read a couple of articles – I don’t see how they can possibly justify allowing it to go ahead given the situation over there.

the-muffin-man

If F1/Liberty have the tiniest bit of conscience they’ll call this off. I have my doubts though. Can see it being a Sat/Sun event.

the-muffin-man

Cancelled!…

I bet all the big car updates will be held over till Spain now. No point trotting them out at Monaco.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, that is a sensible decision.

multi21
    Free Member

Good, right decision.

Gutted not to see all the updates though!

slowoldman

Just heard it announced on the Giro coverage. I hope that’s going to be OK for the big climbs next week.

multi21
    Free Member

slowoldman

Just heard it announced on the Giro coverage. I hope that’s going to be OK for the big climbs next week.

Given the sheer volumes of water involved, I’d be surprised if there aren’t any major landslides.

Looking at the latest videos it seems many peoples homes and cars will have been destroyed. 🙁

Kryton57

This must please Merc, more time to install and test those upgrades.

vlad_the_invader

I wonder what the implications are to the F1 teams cost cap of this? Not sure whether the teams has already arrived – if so, was stuff damaged by the floods?
    I guess any extra cost maybe offset against less mileage the cars and components would have logged…

jimster01
    Free Member

I wonder what the implications are to the F1 teams cost cap of this?

As this is unprecedented, I would like to think that the costs incurred by the teams would be waived by the FIA.

thepurist

I wonder what the implications are to the F1 teams cost cap of this?

They won’t need to provide any sandwiches for their vips this weekend, so big impact for Redbull.

(though seriously I hope any food and drink they have already got on site finds its way to those in need in the area)

chrismac

Definitely the right call. As others have said I’m far more interested in the plight of the locals than the impact on the F1 circus

the-muffin-man

Mercedes are running their new car in Monaco. Suppose it’s the only option as all the spares they have with them will be to the new spec. They’ve already said there will be no side-by-side comparison with original car as they are too different.

multi21
    Free Member

DOTD goes to Yuki

Kryton57

Ferrari donated about €700k as well.

nickc

I read on Twitter that F1 has donated a million euros to the relief fund.

johndoh
    Free Member

(though seriously I hope any food and drink they have already got on site finds its way to those in need in the area)

Yes they have said they are donating all the food locally.

F1 has also arranged for food that would have been used in hospitality to be distributed to those in need.

It has been donated to a group organising food banks and distribution for those affected by the floods.

the-muffin-man

The onboards from N24 are epic and scary!! 😬😳

Live on YouTube for those who are interested.

the-muffin-man

So the Hamilton to Ferrari rumours are doing the rounds again!

As much as I’d love to see him there I can’t see it happening. He’s probably only going to do 2 or 3 more seasons and that isn’t enough time to mould a team like Ferrari to his way of working.

…if this weekends Merc update is a dog though, we may see him having a drink of the Ferrari yacht! :-)

mashr

He’s probably only going to do 2 or 3 more seasons and that isn’t enough time to mould a team like Ferrari to his way of working.

Does that really matter though? Worst case, he finishes at Ferrari and absolutely coins it in with little real pressure as they aren’t currently winning. Best case, he finishes at Ferrari as an absolute hero if he manages to win a championship, and absolutely coins it in. Or the sensible middle, wins a few races, hero to the Tifosi for having a crack, absolutely coins it in.

nickc

He’s probably only going to do 2 or 3 more seasons and that isn’t enough time to mould a team like Ferrari to his way of working.

I think the question Ferrari are asking Hamilton is

How much would it take for you to drive with us for a bit so so that we can say “Hamilton; 7times world champion the Ferrari driver” in our advertising?

I would’ve thought that “X” amount of money is going to be enough at some point.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.