• This topic has 2,076 replies, 155 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by thols2.
Viewing 37 posts - 2,041 through 2,077 (of 2,077 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

So, as I understand it, Renault had until midnight last Sunday to find a race seat for Piastri or he could look elsewhere. Apparently Mark Webber (along with Flavio B, who was Webber’s and Alonso’s manager) was pushing for McLaren to take him so I guess that they must have already signed a deal that McLaren would take him if Renault didn’t give him a contract by the deadline. Which would mean that McLaren would have to have decided to pay Ricciardo off so sending him to Chip Ganassi to drive Indycars in exchange for releasing Palou would seem logical, which would make Ricciardo teammates with Scott Dixon, the second most winning Indycar driver ever.

Premier Icon bruneep

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Alpine insisting they have legal right to Piastri…

Alpine adamant it has legal right to Piastri – so what next?

Premier Icon ads678

I’ve signed Piastri, and so has my wife!

Premier Icon multi21
    Free Member

haha nice

I like Albon – and nice to see someone who had essentially given up on F1 now carving out a decent career.

Premier Icon multi21
    Free Member

the-muffin-man

I like Albon – and nice to see someone who had essentially given up on F1 now carving out a decent career.

Same, I just hope Williams manage to build a decent car next year.

Premier Icon nickc

I like Albon

me to, in fact I think that many of the younger drivers seem to be both talented and [as far as they can be for F1 drivers] modest and likable. Russell, Albon, Schmacher, Norris, Zhou…all seem pretty rounded.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

I agree, the current crop of young hot shots are very pleasingly free of the usual racing driver arrogance

Premier Icon scruffywelder
    Free Member

I agree, the current crop of young hot shots are very pleasingly free of the usual racing driver arrogance

TBF it seems like Max Verstappen got the entirety of the current generations supply of arrogance… probably not enough to go around for all the rest 😉

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Definitely! Lol

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

How come nothings happened in two whole days.

Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

Enforced holidays?

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

How come nothings happened in two whole days

It’s weird that McLaren haven’t made an announcement…

Announcement looming if the rumours are correct…

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-end-ricciardo-deal-piastri-2023/10349014/

…to be honest I’d choose McLaren over Alpine. McLaren are building a huge racing company encompassing all areas of motorsport. Alpine (Renault) just seem to piss about at it, never quite committing.

Premier Icon Bez

McLaren have the advantage of being further down the road from the junction marked “hire Alonso and watch him set everything on fire and walk away” 🙂

Premier Icon richmtb

to be honest I’d choose McLaren over Alpine.

Worth it just for the company car to be honest.

I can’t help feel sorry for Danny Ric though. Sure he’s not exactly covered himself in glory but nor has he engaged in any under the table shenanigans either.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Those poor performance release causes are a bit weird- I wonder if it ever comes down to ‘oo I hope he doesn’t do too well this weekend, we’re so close to being able to replace him’. Imagine hoping that one of your cars does badly!!

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Those poor performance release causes are a bit weird- I wonder if it ever comes down to ‘oo I hope he doesn’t do too well this weekend, we’re so close to being able to replace him’. Imagine hoping that one of your cars does badly!!

Maybe you have stumbled upon the reasons for Ferrari strategy calls?

🙂

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

to be honest I’d choose McLaren over Alpine.

If I was Piastri, I would take the contract guaranteed to give a race seat next year. He’s a rookie so a year or two in an Alpine won’t hurt his career provided he can hold his own against Ocon. If he can’t beat Ocon, I can’t see him beating Norris.

Apparently, Ricciardo’s contract does not have any performance stipulation, they can’t sack him on those grounds. Seems strange but I don’t think anyone expected he would struggle so badly. He’s definitely trying his best but the car just doesn’t suit him. That means that McLaren have to pay him off. It would be ironic if McLaren end up having to pay Alpine to release Piasti, plus pay Ricciardo to not drive, then have Ricciardo move to Renault and get paid by them as well.

Premier Icon richmtb

Apparently, Ricciardo’s contract does not have any performance stipulation, they can’t sack him on those grounds.

It does but its in Ricciardo’s favour, he has a break clause for poor performance from McLaren, not The other way round.

Premier Icon convert

I do wonder where the motivation for someone like Ricciardo comes from from here on in. Unless he lucks in massively he has already driven the most competitive car he ever will drive in F1. He’s now driven for a couple more teams. Wiki says he has had 223 F1 race weekends already. He must have netted enough cash to see him through to his dotage comfortably. Do you search around to try to do more of the same, but probably in increasingly irrelevant cars (under the euphemism of experienced hand helping the team to move forward) or do you go have more adventures elsewhere. Go see what indy car is like, or touring cars. Or Dakar or Rallying. I think I’d be more content in my rocking chair on the veranda in my twilight years having experienced a bit more breadth rather than more of the same.

Premier Icon thepurist

Announcement looming if the rumours are correct…

It used to be the case that a story on motorsport.com from a “source at mclaren” was effectively the same as a mclaren press release, because both were owned by Zak brown. He stepped away from the motorsport network a couple of years ago but I expect there are still some pretty close ties in there.

Premier Icon Twodogs

PlanetF1 (yeah I know) is reporting tha Ric has been told he’s being replaced by Piastri

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

I do wonder where the motivation for someone like Ricciardo comes from from here on in.

Maybe it’s just fun racing an F1 car🤷‍♂️

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Those impressions are so good!!

Premier Icon mashr

Maybe it’s just fun racing an F1 car🤷‍♂️

Drive one of the 20 fastest cars in world, or something much slower. . .

Premier Icon timber

Gasly to Alpine is the newest rumour?
    He’s hit a stale mate with Ref Bull group and the Alpine is a better performing factory team.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

He’s put in some amazing drives, he might flourish once he’s outside of the toxic Red Bull environment

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

How tight is his contract? If any have a getout clause I would expect Gasley’s.
    Ricardo to AT?

It would amaze me if he went to AT – it would be like going back to primary school.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

He’s only just signed a new one, hasn’t he?

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member
    Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

Pictures of next year’s McLaren leaked.

Very good…

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Bet he doesn’t even pay road tax.

Viewing 37 posts - 2,041 through 2,077 (of 2,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.