• This topic has 2,429 replies, 161 voices, and was last updated 11 hours ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,430 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • Jamze

So are they still tightening up the checking of plank flex after the break? Another variable if so. I think Merc will be pretty strong for the rest of the year.

Kryton57

Russell

Amazing drive from him today, great racing, no stupidity a very mature and skilled effort.

nickc

From 2nd to 6th for LeClerc. that’s going to make for a uncomfortable conversation for the boss and the strategist

imnotverygood

Karen less so.

What’s up with her now?

Well, he seems quite cheerful now.

markgraylish
    Free Member

So, on C4, Karen just mentioned that Red Bull swapped tyres on the grid. Is that a change to regulations?
    I thought the Top 10 had to start the race on the tyre they qualified on (or was it the exact tyre they got the fastest time in Q2?)

multi21
    Free Member

Ferrari strategists pictured earlier:
    hasta la pasta

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought the Top 10 had to start the race on the tyre they qualified on (or was it the exact tyre they got the fastest time in Q2?)

Yep, changed at the start of this season

mashr

Ferrari are really ruining this for all of us. Just as well for them that there aren’t any seat options elsewhere for Leclerc

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just as well for them that there aren’t any seat options elsewhere for Leclerc

Well, Seb’s just handed in his notice at AM…..

Bez

I’ve been watching F1 for knocking on 40 years now and I think apart from the Ross and Michael years it’s been pretty much a given that Ferrari will shoot themselves in the foot at any opportunity, to the point where I’ve genuinely never understood why drivers want to drive for them.

mashr

Well, Seb’s just handed in his notice at AM…..

Same chance of winning the championship I suppose

thols2
    Free Member

it’s been pretty much a given that Ferrari will shoot themselves in the foot at any opportunity, to the point where I’ve genuinely never understood why drivers want to drive for them.

Yes, I was just thinking about Alonso’s decision to quit Ferrari for McLaren. As I recall, he realized that Ferrari were never going to change and a McLaren-Honda must have seemed like the best option given that Merc and Red Bull weren’t interested in him. Sainz and Leclerc must be having similar thoughts right now.

jimster01
    Free Member

Ferrari have always been a strange team, yes they have the prestige, but they haven’t got the records for the prestige.

Bez

It must be like earning enough money to do your weekly shopping at Fortnum and Mason and then continually being delivered hampers of Spam and Pot Noodle.

eddiebaby

More like having hampers of lovely food but delivered by Yodel throwing it your neighbour’s fence.

the-muffin-man

Alonso to Aston! Wasn’t really expecting that…

Alonso to make shock switch to Aston Martin for 2023 F1 season

…Piastri in at Alpine then.

thols2
    Free Member

This seems to be real. Don’t see why he would, maybe they offered a huge salary.

Edit. Damn. 30 seconds too slow. Alpine now guaranteed to be a title contender next year.

Bez

Heh, I was half wondering whether that might happen. I think Alonso just wants a go on all the rides.

Twodogs

Yep…yet another poor career choice by Alonso

tomhoward

Lewis to replace him in a couple of years.

You heard it here first…

Bez

…and last 🙂

Twodogs

I guess he doesn’t like being beaten by Ocon

nickc

Blimey, that seems like Alonso made a considered and measured decision, speaking with many trusted advisors and getting a range of views, and not at all like a snap call in the heat of the moment when offered a vacant seat.

what on earth are Aston thinking? There are any number of talented future F1 stars desperate for a seat. Weird

tomhoward

…and last

Lozza wants to get all the ex WDC’s in to teach the boy how to do it 😉

thols2
    Free Member

what on earth are Aston thinking?

They have aspirations to be a front-running team and are spending serious money on improving their engineering facilities. Vettel, despite his weaknesses, was a top-level driver with four world titles, that’s why they hired him. Alonso is, in my opinion, a better driver than Vettel and he seems to be able to adapt to difficult cars and wring every last bit of performance out of them. With Alonso there, they will know exactly how good or bad their car is.

the-muffin-man

what on earth are Aston thinking? There are any number of talented future F1 stars desperate for a seat. Weird

Takes the pressure off while they restructure. No one expects them to do anything with an old guy and a daddies boy at the wheel.

It’ll be 3 to 4 years before their new factory produces any meaningful results.

eddiebaby

I think Aston wanted a headline name to draw money in from other sponsors.

thols2
    Free Member

nickc

I think Aston wanted a headline name to draw money in from other sponsors.

sure, I’m not certain that hiring Fernando sends that message does it?  – ie looking to the future to build a dominating team – here’s a has been and the team owners son…. It’s not the marketing coup that I’d be hoping for if I was head of sponsors at AM.

multi21
    Free Member

Not hugely surprised about Alonso, him and Otmar had been bickering for a few weeks.

Hopefully they’re in the mix next year, as much as I think he’s a bit of a cabeza de pene, he is a quick and canny racer.

Piastri to Alpine then?

shermer75
    Free Member

My understanding is that Alonso wanted a 2 year deal (as 2024 is more likely to be a competitive year for them), Alpine were offering a 1 year (because Piastri), therefore it does kind of make sense if Aston are offering a multi year deal..

shermer75
    Free Member

AM’s car next year will be Dan Fallow’s (formerly Red Bull’s head of aerodynamics) so it’ll be interesting to see how it does

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

cabeza de pene I had to google it but I will be using this phrase where required from now on

Is Alonso the driver equivalent of the Ferrari team – Massive respect and awe from the fans but no actual results or reason for this in recent memory?

thols2
    Free Member

AM’s car next year will be Dan Fallow’ Adrian Newey’s (formerly currently Red Bull’s head of aerodynamics designer) so it’ll be interesting to see how it does

FTFY.

the-muffin-man

This also opens up a seat at Williams as it was widely expected Piastri would replace Latifi.

Logan Sargeant for that one?

RickDraper

I thought the minute Vettel retired that Alonso would go to AM. When you look at it Renault seem to basically be in F1 on the cheap at the minute and have been for a number of years, saving the millions they pay Alonso for the cheaper Piastri will be seen as a win for the bean counters.

shermer75
    Free Member

Logan Sargeant for that one?

I reckon, he’s part of the Williams driver program and he’s been doing well recently

dawson

The following link has fascinating information on stuff happening in the background

A few thoughts on @alo_oficial, a tug of love over @OscarPiastri, how @AlpineF1Team has been wrong-footed – and former Enstone boss Flavio Briatore’s role in it all…: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/why-alonsos-mega-money-aston-martin-deal-has-turned-f1-driver-market-upside-down

shermer75
    Free Member

That’s a great article! A genuinely interesting silly season this time around

thols2
    Free Member

So, off the top of my head, by next year, Alonso will have driven for 5 of the 10 teams on the grid (Minardi/AT, Renault/Alpine, McLaren, Ferrari, and Aston Marton/Jordan) and all of the current engine suppliers, plus Cosworth. I don’t think any current driver comes close to that, what about retired drivers?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.