• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • thols2

slowoldman

I last went to Silverstone for the 1981 GP won by John Watson. There was a great atmosphere as the Renaults got sicker and sicker each lap until one by one they dropped out to huge roars from around the circuit leaving Watson to win.

Prior to that I’d only been to Silverstone once before and that was sitting in the stands watching Lola T70s thundering through the old Woodcote corner.

My only other GP was when my Dad took me to Brands Hatch for the 1968 GP. Oulton Park was my “local” circuit though still not exactly close and I still rate Oulton and Brands above Silverstone, though neither could host a GP now.

Spa? Best circuit in the world at the moment.

the-muffin-man

Are general admission tickets still available for F1 races? So you can walk the circuit.

If it’s grandstand only seats I can’t see the appeal. Just watching one or two corners all weekend would bore me senseless.

I’d probably go for Barcelona as a destination as it’s a) likely to be warm and a race will happen! b) you could combine with a city/beach break. 🙂

chrispoffer

Yes I think you can get GA tickets for all circuits, they’re the only ones you can buy for Silverstone for this year as everything else is sold out.

We intend to see as much of Spa as we can on the Friday and Saturday but everything I’ve read suggests that it’s a nightmare to find a spot and walk around on race day – too many folk jammed in deckchairs on the paths etc. So I think we’ll be happy with our seats at Pouchon for the race.

In the scheme of things I’d love to be at the Canadian GP, love a street circuit. Just a bit more awkward to get there and it doesn’t match up with school hols….. Barcelona is out for us for the same reason.

Does anyone remember the Birmingham Superprix? I went to the last one they ran, must have been ’89 or ’90. Touring cars were there, F2 and TVR Tuscans. Great racing and I seem to remember John Cleland having a punchup with someone after getting nerfed off. A bit more ballsy than Lewis and Max giving each other the Paddington Bear hard stares after they’ve cut each other up 😀

thepurist

Seems the FIA have said the Abu Dhabi cover up investigation will produce its first outputs by 3rd Feb, with final ratification at the WMSC meeting on 18th March (the start of the Bahrain race weekend). First test is starting 23 Feb so if Lewis is waiting for the FIA’s review before deciding on his future in F1 it’d mean Merc potentially have 2 or so weeks to publicly sort out a replacement, though I’m guessing they’ve already got someone on standby.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m guessing that the FIA plan will be to do the bare minimum to keep Lewis in the sport, but ultimately to keep Lewis in the sport

the-muffin-man

They just can’t say – ‘yeah, it all went tits-up’ – or they undermine Max’s championship and open themselves up to more ridicule.

They’ll do a deal behind the scenes as is the usual FIA way.

And Lewis will know what he’s doing already. He’ll be back otherwise it looks like he’s having a massive strop approaching Alonso realms of toy-out-of-pram antics! 🤣🤣

scotroutes

Hamilton will be racing this year. All the drivers following him will need full wets though if he doesn’t dry his eyes.

jamesoz

Hamilton will be racing this year. All the drivers following him will need full wets though if he doesn’t dry his eyes.

I bet Red Bull and Max or for that matter any team/driver would be a bit miffed and very vocal with it.

As far as I’m aware Lewis has said nothing publicly, What do you want him to do?

johndoh
    Free Member

I actually want Hamilton to walk away – the F1 Circus needs him more than he needs them. Just walk away, head high and let the shitshow implode.

thols2

shermer75
    Free Member

Honestly thought Ben Dover would get the job tbh

Haha! That started my day with a chuckle 😃

rOcKeTdOg

Max should have 1* on his car with an explanation on the body work

multi21
    Free Member
    thepurist

Budkowski’s departure is more interesting IMO – he was an FIA man, there was a bit of a kerfuffle when he took on a role with a team as he’d seen lots of sensitive info from all the teams. I’m wondering if he’ll pop up in a new FIA role once the whitewash Abu Dhabi review is concluded.

thols2

I haven’t a clue.

sobriety
    Free Member

Brands Hatch.

jairaj

Looks like Brands Hatch to me

stumpy01

Definitely Brands Hatch.

andytherocketeer

My very first job was there at the 1985 European Grand Prix. Used to get to camp there in the forest inside the grand prix loop inside the ticket line, with a press pass, so none of that queuing at 6am to get a good spot to watch 🙂
    So yes, Brands Hatch grand prix circuit rather than the Indy circuit, without a doubt.

bigdaddy

That’s great footage – not much has changed in some respects! Recognise every inch of the track, the perimeter less so!

slowoldman

Best track in the UK. I watched Ford Galaxies race around there, which was, er, interesting. Oh and a Grand Prix.

dc1988

It’s really not changed much compared to the current layout which is quite rare I would assume. Most circuits have had a major redesign.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Ah Brands GP was my favourite circuit from when I raced Formula Ford. The only corners that have really changed are Graham Hill bend and Dingle Dell corner.

I loved the Hawthorns/Westfield/Dingle Dell areas, Hawthorns in particular was a quick lift and lob it in at about 120mph. Very addictive! The turn in to Dingle Dell is totally blind with the car going light over the crest – real heart in mouth every time.

I really miss it!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Well, that was easy as Silverstone doesn’t have any elevation change or trees even if you’re not familiar with Brands Hatch….

thols2

WTF??? No live timing from the first test, just best lap times of the day.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-2022-pre-season-testing-dates-in-barcelona-and-bahrain-confirmed.3ZwPqa2c9GFqg7mFTDubau.html

mashr

That’s bizarre. I guess they’re looking to not repeat the drama of the first hybrid era test, but this change in regs is absolutely nothing like that. Good to see they are being much more open with the public following last years mess…..

Struggling to believe any team is happy with that unless they are really worried about their own car

multi21
    Free Member

yeah Bahrain paid to be the first event with coverage
    At least the new f1 theme song is good though

the-muffin-man

Heard this may be the case a few weeks ago. So much for F1’s new ‘show-and-tell’ culture! 🤦‍♂️

multi21
    Free Member

the-muffin-man

Heard this may be the case a few weeks ago. So much for F1’s new ‘show-and-tell’ culture! 🤦‍♂️
    Posted 48 minutes ago
    Reply | Report

Yeah I heard about the TV a few weeks back but I think it’s the first time that no fans and no live timing has been confirmed though?

It’s a real shame, i love the bit with new regs where somebody has found something and the others all scramble to bodge implement it into their cars

pondo

Bit of a kick in the dick for the back of the grid and mid-pack teams, time was when they’d run underweight on qualies while everyone else was pounding race sims, just to try and attract sponsors.

mashr

Having just read the Autosport article, I’m not actually that miffed anymore. I’d forgotten there would only have been 1 test this year under normal circumstances, and the press will still be there (and it’s the highlights i’ll watch anyway) so it’s not really that bad.

However, as its F1 they seem to have gone about it all the wrong way as usual. The test in February is much more exciting than the one a week before the season opener

keithb

Goddamit!  Pre-season testing is where all the excitement in when a new set of rules are being implemented!

Trying to judge the pecking order from testing times, seeing how the cars look and what changes are being brought to the track, waiting for the first race to see if what appeared from testing is representative of true performance or were teams sand-bagging/runnign light….,

Massive, massive own-goal by F1 here.  Total failure to grasp the overall excitemnt that a new rule-set can bring to keep the old skool, die hard fans happy, and tempt new ones in before the first race even begins.  More for the tech-heads I admit, but it can spill out across the media and raise awareness and interest.

Total Fail by the management.

edited for typos.

matt303uk

Massive, massive own-goal by F1 here. Total failure to grasp the overall excitemnt that a new rule-set can bring to keep the old skool, die hard fans happy, and tempt new ones in before the first race even begins.

NASCAR have been hyping up their new 2022 cars like crazy over the off season, every test session, simulated racing, testing different setup rules to see what gives the beast racing on different circuit types, everything up on YouTube. We’ve waited an extra year for the new F1 cars and they mess it all up.

the-muffin-man

And the Barcelona test is the ones most fans would have gone to. There’ll just be a few ex. pat’s in Bahrain.

Again it’s all about the $$$$$!

They really are the ‘oh, we didn’t think of that’ organisation! The running by Ferrari this week. As there is such a massive rule change Ferrari asked if they could run last seasons car over the 4 days. Seems the FIA didn’t think teams would ask that and by the sound of it couldn’t be bothered to let Ferrari know in a decent time-frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

How am I supposed to sulk and not watch something that’s not even being broadcast!! Pfffft total bullshit

shermer75
    Free Member

I suppose the big question is if Hamilton will be there

andrewh
    Free Member

I suppose the big question is if Hamilton will be there

He won’t be. Latest rumour is Wolfe has Pastor Maldonado ready to make a comeback and take his spot. He arrived to sign the contract this morning.
    gwehje

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha!

slowoldman

Excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.