• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • nickc

Current Indycars are nearly 2m wide also and they have no trouble overtaking.

Current F1 cars have no problem overtaking either, But Verstappen is driving a faster and better handling car than Sainz, and that’s pretty much the start middle and finish of the story. Even with the benefit of DRS giving the ferrari about 15-20kph advantage down the ‘straights’

I don’t think that makes Sainz a bad driver.

slowoldman

Look at those cars? aren’t they skinny? and those skinny wheels!

That looks like a very distorted video.

multi21
    Free Member

thols2

I used to loath Piquet back in the 80s, he came across as an utter **** out of the car. Then after a couple of decades I came to respect him a bit more as a driver and figured that maybe I’d been too harsh on him. But, no, he’s back to being a **** again.

Daffy

Saint’s problem was his lack of consistency. He was slightly faster than Max in those last laps, but kept losing time through very small mistakes every 3rd lap. This is where Verstappen excels.

Daffy

I’ve just read what Piquet said about Lewis Hamilton – how can anyone think it’s fine, even in private (and this wasn’t) to talk this?

It’s absolutely unacceptable. He should be banned from the paddock.

thols2

I’ve just read what Piquet said about Lewis Hamilton – how can anyone think it’s fine, even in private (and this wasn’t) to talk this?

It’s absolutely unacceptable. He should be banned from the paddock.

I think the Piquet has always basically been a troll – he’d just say offensive things to get people riled up for his own amusement. There are people who think that’s funny, to them, anyone who gets offended just needs to lighten up and get a sense of humour. The internet is awash with toxic garbage like that so there’s a big audience for that (this is what Donald Trump realized years ago).

I can’t imagine that anyone in F1 will want to be seen in public with Piquet. He has ties to the Verstappens but I doubt that Red Bull will want him hanging around as their guest. Shit like that is just a huge distraction that the team managers won’t want to have to keep answering questions about.

jodafett

I can’t imagine that anyone in F1 will want to be seen in public with Piquet. He has ties to the Verstappens but I doubt that Red Bull will want him hanging around as their guest. Shit like that is just a huge distraction that the team managers won’t want to have to keep answering questions about.

I think you underestimate how low Horner would stoop to upset Hamilton or Wolff. Piquet is probably on a First Class flight to Silverstone as we speak!

nickc

I doubt that Red Bull will want him hanging around as their guest.

Especially as they’ve just had to sack their F2 driver Juri Vips for exactly the same thing

PJM1974
    Free Member

I know that Piquet has a long history of saying controversial things, but this is beyond acceptable.

chrismac

I didnt realise that his daughter is Max’s girlfriend. I know we arent responsible for the stupid things our parents say and do but its all a bit close to home. I wonder if RB have a view on this

imnotverygood

I didnt realise that his daughter is Max’s girlfriend. I know we arent responsible for the stupid things our parents say and do but its all a bit close to home. I wonder if RB have a view on this

What, you mean tell him he has to ditch his girlfriend because of something her dad said?

nickc

TBH it must be a constant nightmare for the RB PR team, with both Jos and Nelson knocking about just waiting for either on of them to say something monstrously stupid must be the stuff of nightmares…I’d be willing to bet that a chance to lock at least one of them out of the garage for a weekend would be a relief for everyone.

multi21
    Free Member

imnotverygood

What, you mean tell him he has to ditch his girlfriend because of something her dad said?

Mate, her dad said racist shit about lewis, her uncle then posts on instagram, doubling-down on it, saying that it’s not offensive because their grandma always called them the n-word when they were little. 🙄 You might expect Kelly to distance herself but no, instead she liked this post using her public instagram profile. It’s **** up.

andrewh
    Free Member

No one mentioned Nelson’s relationship with Nelson Jr yet?
    Nothing to do with crashgate, AIUI he’s basically cut him off because he races electric cars. Very odd

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Verstappen seems to have done a great job of surrounding himself with bell ends.

slowoldman

Having been brought up by a bell end it’s probably where he feels most comfortable.

multi21
    Free Member

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Verstappen seems to have done a great job of surrounding himself with bell ends.

lol, max himself used the term ‘mongol’ in public, had it pointed out that it was offensive for more than one reason. His answer “it’s not my problem if people get offended”. He then uses the word in public again a couple of years later, i.e. his earlier comment wasn’t face saving, he’s genuinely learnt nothing.

Pricks the lot of them.

stcolin
    Free Member

Anyway, what are the predictions for the race?

I think all the hype about Merc doing well with a potential win will end up being a podium for George or Lewis at best, with Max and Charles P1/P2.

andrewh
    Free Member

I would love to see McLaren magic another 1-2 out of nowhere with maybe Gazly or Perez third and Albon getting some big points.
    But yes, Verstappen, LeClerc, Russell does seem more likely.

multi21
    Free Member

Would love a Ferrari or Merc win but I think Max will win, Leclerc second, Perez third.

James did have a certain glint in his eye when asked about the upgrades though…

the-muffin-man

James did have a certain glint in his eye when asked about the upgrades though…

…would be great if Mercedes rolled out a Red Bull style sidepod – Horner would self-combust!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bez

Let’s see… maybe Max and Charles have an epic ding-dong like 2019, then in the closing stages Max dives up the inside of Charles into Copse sending them both out, Horner complains about Charles turning in on Max, Sainz has an off day and winds up in the minor points, Perez’s engine blows up, and it’s a Russell-Hamilton-Norris podium, track invasion, etc etc. That’s all definitely going to happen.

multi21
    Free Member

the-muffin-man

…would be great if Mercedes rolled out a Red Bull style sidepod – Horner would self-combust!!

😀

As an aside, apparently Williams are bringing a big upgrade for Albon’s car, Chris Medland saying it’s apparently following the RB concept.

yetidave
    Free Member

That’s all definitely going to happen

oh i hope so, my wife will be wearing her “I love Norris” t-shirt just incase…

shermer75
    Free Member

At least it’s easy to spot who the bad guys are

multi21
    Free Member

Horner complains about Charles turning in on Max

God this would be delicious.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s really not cool to call out Max Verstappen with regard Nelson Piquet’s abhorrent comments.

and it’s a Russell-Hamilton-Norris podium, track invasion, etc etc. That’s all definitely going to happen.

This would be quite something wouldn’t it?

Bez

God this would be delicious.

Well, he’s already got form from Portugal 2020, but Hypocrisy Popcorn tastes better when it comes from a higher-profile incident 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s really not cool to call out Max Verstappen with regard Nelson Piquet’s abhorrent comments

Eh?

ads678

It’s really not cool to call out Max Verstappen with regard Nelson Piquet’s abhorrent comments.

Couple of quotes form an article on the BBC:

Piquet said he “made no defence” of the remarks, but added the term he used “is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend”.

So he’d use the same term for a white ‘guy’ as well then….

Sources in F1 have said that Piquet, who won the 1981, 1983 and 1987 world titles, will not be allowed back into an F1 paddock following his comments.

and

Red Bull, whose driver Max Verstappen is the partner of Piquet’s daughter Kelly, have not commented.

F1 is taking it seriously, but Red Bull not so much. I think it’s ok to call out MV until he or his team distances themselves from Piquets comment.

Bez

Piquet said he “made no defence” of the remarks, but added the term he used “is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend”.

Ah, “I make no defence, but my defence is blah blah blah.”

Classic use of the “asshole’s but” gambit: the bit before the “but” is where you should have stopped if it was truly what you meant, and the bit after the “but” is what reveals the asshole that you undoubtedly are.

I’m (regrettably) kind of impressed that three WDCs counts for nothing when it comes to shutting the door on racists. Fair play. But then I guess when you’ve taken over the reins from Bernie and Max you’ve got a bit of PR to do.

thols2

Anyway, what are the predictions for the race?

The fastest car/driver will start at the front. Strategy will be important. Especially for drivers starting from behind – they need to go faster than the cars in front of them or they will finish behind so their strategy needs to focus on driving really fast and passing the cars in front of them. For the cars starting in front, they need to adopt strategies of finishing the race as fast as they can – the faster the race, the fewer chances the guys behind have to pass them. Also, luck and reliability might affect results so it’s difficult to make predictions.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jesus thols2!
    Spoiler alert next time please.

😀

nickc

but added the term he used “is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend”.

It’s the sort of word that needs much context, ‘sometimes’ it’s what Nelson says, ie a bit of bantz, but not in the way he used it.  It’s a lot like the other N word that’s similar, black inner city kids can use it about other black inner city kids. Ex F1 drivers about current F1 drivers who are rivals with his daughter’s partner…not so much.

argee

The fastest car/driver will start at the front. Strategy will be important. Especially for drivers starting from behind – they need to go faster than the cars in front of them or they will finish behind so their strategy needs to focus on driving really fast and passing the cars in front of them. For the cars starting in front, they need to adopt strategies of finishing the race as fast as they can – the faster the race, the fewer chances the guys behind have to pass them. Also, luck and reliability might affect results so it’s difficult to make predictions.

You forgot the ‘and the safety car will come out, bring everyone back together and whoever was lucky enough to pit at the right time gets a higher position’.

andrewh
    Free Member

whoever was lucky enough to pit at the right time gets a higher position

This can be amended if required.

Bez

Yeah, yeah… but WILL IT RAIN? 🙂

Bez

The fastest car/driver will start at the front…

Basically it’s down to whoever does the best sportsing on the day…

shermer75
    Free Member

Basically it’s down to whoever does the best sportsing on the day…

This is very funny!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.