Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 5,338 total)
  • F1 2021 – spoilers here
  • simondbarnes
    Bez

“They don’t expect me to just completely run off the track and then just keep my position – probably they would tell you that you cannot run off the track. So from my side, a bit surprised, yeah, that there is a little bit of a percentage [of responsibility] in there.”

What I think they expect, as James Allison calmly explained, is simply that he doesn’t keep his position. I’m not sure that possibility has entered Max’s head 😉 (Which, of course, would be part of what makes him the formidable adversary he is—but IMO does make him look a bit silly when he says things like that.)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

Red Bull is understood to have presented several pieces of evidence to the stewards which they claim proved Hamilton entered Copse corner at a trajectory and speed which made the collision unavoidable.

Well, that’s bollocks, isn’t it: Max could have braked to allow Hamilton the corner and thus avoided the collision. (Which isn’t necessarily to say that he should have done that—just that “unavoidable” is hyperbole.) When Vettel hoofed him up the gearbox a couple of years ago, that was unavoidable for Max…

dannybgoode

Good. Roll on Hungary and let’s get back to racing 🙂

I can’t help but feel this had been more a distraction to RB than Merc to be honest. Will be interesting to see if they both just knuckle down now and forget about it all.

Twodogs

Stewards dismiss Red Bull’s request for review of Hamilton’s Silverstone penalty, determining the evidence provided was neither new nor significant and had been created rather than discovered.

So…the stewards deemed that Red Bull were making sh!t up 😂

crazy-legs

I can’t help but feel this had been more a distraction to RB than Merc to be honest. Will be interesting to see if they both just knuckle down now and forget about it all.

The teams forgetting about it (or at least “putting it aside for the duration”) is one thing but the bloody media will be banging on about it for weeks more yet. It’ll be in every interview with every Merc & RB driver and staffer (and probably a question asked of every other driver as well – “who do you think was at fault…?”), there’ll be endless punditry about it, it’ll be mentioned in every part of commentary when MV and LH are racing and there’ll be wild speculation about how much impact that 25 points will have.

Twodogs

However, the final paragraph of the report does bring a further layer of controversy to this case through the mention of concerning “allegations” made in a letter from Red Bull, of which those slides were a part of.

“The stewards note, with some concern, certain allegations made in the Competitor’s above letter,” the report states.

“Such allegations may or may not have been relevant to the stewards if the Petition for Review had been granted.

“The stewards may have addressed these allegations directly in any decision that would have followed. The petition having been dismissed, the stewards make no comments on those allegations.”

Interesting…

Bez

Reading between the lines, perhaps they were trying to claim that Hamilton deliberately tried to punt Verstappen off.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/29/mercedes-accuse-red-bull-management-of-attacking-hamiltons-reputation/

Aside from anything, Hamilton would have to have a brain the size of a pea to do that, given that such a move would have had a high chance of ending both their races and he was 33 points behind at the time.

The content of the FIA’s statement seems like a fairly stiff middle finger to Red Bull:

They’re really coming out of this looking like a proper bucket of dicks. Shame, really. I always liked the fact that I was relatively impartial about F1. Not any more 😂

endomick
    Free Member

Toto couldn’t even be arsed to attend, classic.
    Hdgaf.

Bez

Would have been extra hilarious if he’d just sent Ron Meadows and a couple of the catering staff 😂

dakuan
    Free Member
    Bez

But, at the risk of labouring the point, why go to the bother of getting Albon to create something that would look convincingly like a desperate and ill-judged lunge up the inside with an inevitable collision, when they could have simply discovered the on-board footage from Max’s car at Portimao? 🙂

dakuan
    Free Member

😂😂😂😂

b230ftw
    Free Member

From the motorsport.com link they appear to think that maybe RedBull have criticised the stewards/FIA?? If that’s true that’s a REALLY bad move on RedBulls part. Throw mud around at other teams – they probable don’t mind – but criticise the governing body is really some thing way beyond that.

I hope someone leaks those “accusations”!!!!

Oh and BTW some of the memes on that Twitter thread are COMEDY GOLD.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Like this one.

b230ftw
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

😄

thols2

I’m just utterly bewildered as to what Red Bull think they could have achieved by all this nonsense. Feeling aggrieved by Hamilton winning after Max crashed is perfectly understandable, having a bit of a moan for a couple of days would be pretty normal. This “new evidence” stunt was just dumb – did they really expect anyone to take them seriously about this? The entire pitlane must be laughing their arses off.

andrewh
    Free Member

Stewards dismiss Red Bull’s request for review of Hamilton’s Silverstone penalty, determining the evidence provided was neither new nor significant and had been created rather than discovered.

Apparently that was getting Albon to mimic Hamilton’s speed and line on the simulator. He never made the corner.
    This therefore proves that Albon in a Red Bull with their aero package and brake force/balance, on a simulation of the tyre wear and track conditions could not make the corner.
    What this says about Hamilton in a totaly different car with tyres they can’t possibly know about I’m not sure…
    Possibly a little desperate 🤣

thepurist

I’m looking forward to Coulthard (and maybe Webber) “interviewing” Karen Horner about this whole fiasco on the C4 coverage sponsored by RedBull.

Twodogs

Apparently that was getting Albon to mimic Hamilton’s speed and line on the simulator. He never made the corner.

Not on the sim…actually at Silverstone in a private test in a RB17 (?)

What a waste of money

Bez

What a waste of money

And second time this month that they‘ve forked out for an absolute car crash.

Mind you, it’s the Budapest cinemas I feel sorry for. I can’t imagine they can get hold of popcorn for love nor money right now.

nickc

Interesting…

I think that RB insinuated that Hamilton was let off as the stewards (at the British GP) were biased towards Hamilton (a British driver) and further, that they were biased against Verstappen. I think they cited the fact that Russell was given a 3 place grid penalty for his collision with Sainz…

Slightly undermined by the fact (obviously) that Russell is in fact; British…Desperate times indeed.

retro83
    Free Member

RB17

It was the RB15 (2019)

What a waste of money

Yep!

boblo
    Free Member

thepurist
    I’m looking forward to Coulthard (and maybe Webber) “interviewing” Karen Horner about this whole fiasco

Christ I’m not. The way those two handled the commentary live was excruciating. It was left to ‘fluffy filler’ Steve Jones to ask Karen the awkward questions at the wrap up whilst the two OAP Red Bull(shit) employees looked on like naughty schoolboys.

thols2

I think that RB insinuated that Hamilton was let off as the stewards (at the British GP) were biased towards Hamilton (a British driver) and further, that they were biased against Verstappen.

The stewards’ decision was signed by Nish Shetty, Dennis Dean, Loic Bacquelaine, Emanuele Pirro, and Eric Cowcill. Do a Google search and see how many were British. RB might be right that they don’t like Verstappen though, he’s a difficult person to actually like rather than respect as a driver.

pondo

What a waste of money

I wonder how much change it left out of £1.3 million?

nickc

Do a Google search and see how many were British

I know they’re not British, I think RB insinuation is that they were influenced by the fact it’s a British driver and a British GP…It’s incoherent, and I think shows the bottom of the barrel has well and truly been been reached.

thols2

It’s incoherent, and I think shows the bottom of the barrel has well and truly been been reached.

It is incoherent. There are always more barrels under the current barrel.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m not really enjoying the anti-Max sentiment or suggestions that the stewards might be biased TBH, Max is a racing driver paid to do a job.

One thing that did occur to me was that Max was the obvious candidate to replace Lewis at Merc, right up until Lewis signed a new two year contract…Red Bull’s knobbery may have something to do with ensuring that particular bridge is burned.

fatbrad
    Free Member

If the stewards decided that RBR had created the information and not discovered it. Isn’t that lying so bringing the sport into disrepute? Isn’t there something like a £100m fine for that?

Although if rumours are to be believed the £100m fine was made up of £1m for the actual offence and $£99m because Max Mosley though Ron Dennis was a bit of a c***

pondo

Well, he wasn’t wrong about that. 🙂

dannybgoode

Although if rumours are to be believed the £100m fine was made up of £1m for the actual offence and $£99m because Max Mosley though Ron Dennis was a bit of a c***

FTFY

Twodogs

I think they meant that by getting Albon to attempt to drive the same GPS track that the stewards already had, all they’d achieved was creating a video attempting to show what would have happened to Hamilton. (Albeit driven by a different driver, in a different car, in different conditions..)

thols2

One thing that did occur to me was that Max was the obvious candidate to replace Lewis at Merc, right up until Lewis signed a new two year contract…Red Bull’s knobbery may have something to do with ensuring that particular bridge is burned.

As far as hiring drivers goes, Merc will take whoever is fastest. Something like this wouldn’t come into it except that Max basically threw away the race by not yielding – he had a faster car so letting Hamilton past was much smarter than risking an accident. Saying dumb stuff after a crash isn’t really going to come into hiring decisions.

Thing is, there was never any serious possibility of Hamilton retiring/going to Ferrari/etc. With Hamilton still at the top of his game and being a massive marketing asset with his anti-racism work, Merc have no need for Max. Max knew that so he signed a multi-year deal with Red Bull.

martinhutch

Hope they put the right soundtrack to intro Albon’s reenactment.

thols2

Just not getting better for Red Bull.

No idea if this is genuine, but Red Bull have an image problem either way.

Bez

Mm, Horner is doing a fine line in saying he’s letting it go while not letting it go, casually listing the pile of chips on his shoulder while saying the matter’s closed.

Also still adopting his own version of the truth…

“We’ve lost a car in its entirety under a budget cap environment for something that the stewards didn’t deem to be Max’s fault.

Except the engine seems to be working fine, and the stewards didn’t say Hamilton was fully at fault, the implication being that they deemed Verstappen to be to some extent at faul.

“So there’s nothing personal about it. But even a seven-time world champion can sometimes make mistakes, or misjudgements. That’s just a fact of life, but at no point has this been personal about Lewis.”

Right, so comments like “I hope he can sleep tonight after what he’s done” don’t imply anything personal?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 5,338 total)

The topic ‘F1 2021 – spoilers here’ is closed to new replies.