• This topic has 1,906 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by keithb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,907 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if they just ran one car citing issues with getting someone suitable there tested safely in time.

They have contractual obligations to fulfil for their sponsors. They have to run two cars. Vandoorne is going anyway, but giving Russell a couple of races to see how he stacks up in a good car seems like an obvious thing to do. Hulkenberg is another obvious candidate for a steady hand to support Bottas for 2nd in the championship.

Premier Icon retro83
    Free Member

Remind me where Valteri finished at the weekend. Verstappen is quite capable of winning the last two races.

He had a puncture which dropped him to the back though. (and a second one under the SC at the end!)

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Horrible to see – just so glad it didn’t wedge with the armco covering the cockpit. I don’t think armco is even a suitable barrier that close to the track on a circuit used for F1, it might work fine for a normal car but an F1 car will always pierce through it (at least with the design used in Bahrain).
    One of the fire marshal’s response was a joke – standing like 10ft away pissing his extinguisher into the wind, OK you need balls to get close to something that might blow up but maybe you shouldn’t have volunteered for it in the first place then. I wonder how much training they had and what the quality of it was.
    Having a separate chase car with more fire support in it would make sense for the first lap, even though this type of accident is thankfully a very rare occurrence.
    I wonder if they’ll consider a fire suppression system on the cars, although filling the cockpit with foam is going to make escaping even more confusing.

Premier Icon richmtb

Remind me where Valteri finished at the weekend. Verstappen is quite capable of winning the last two races.

No doubt, but given Bottas is already ahead and has a quicker car you’d put him as favourite.

If there was any room for sentimentality in F1 then they would give the drive to Perez. He doesn’t have a seat for next year and is the definition of a “safe pair of hands”. It might be a chance for him to score a victory right before his F1 career ends.

It will never happen though.

Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Racing Point need Perez to try and grab 3rd spot back from McLaren – he’s going nowhere.

Can’t see what Russell will gain from it either – it’s a car he’ll never drive as his likely step-up will be 2022 in the new breed of cars. Also he’s Williams only hope of grabbing a few points before season end.

I’d say it’ll be Hulk or Vandoorne.

Premier Icon mashr

OK you need balls to get close to something that might blow up but maybe you shouldn’t have volunteered for it in the first place then.

I think you need to give the guy a break tbh. Do you really know how you’d react to a car erupting into a fireball in front of you? Good chance it was nothing to do with “balls” and a lot to do with being overwhelmed by the situation

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Brundle seems to think the fire marshals did valuable work creating a ‘safe’ zone around the cockpit. Both received immediate promotions in the Bahrain army too:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/12147865/martin-brundle-romain-grosjeans-crash-escape-and-the-miracles-of-bahrain

A pity for LH as it brings a few record breaking streaks to a close but hey – I am sure he prefers to have caught it now than before the titles were all wrapped up. Isn’t Anthony Davidson one of their reserve drivers too? Be nice to see him in the car…

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Can’t see what Russell will gain from it either – it’s a car he’ll never drive as his likely step-up will be 2022 in the new breed of cars.

Merc might want to run him against Bottas to see how he goes in a competitive car. He’s looked impressive so far, but so did Kvyat and Albon (and Ocon and Bottas) before they had top level teammates). Any driver on the grid would jump at the chance to drive that Merc, it’s not a question of whether Russell wants it, just whether Merc want him and can persuade Williams to loan him out.

Premier Icon windyg
    Free Member

I think Vettel should drive the Merc as it will be the same car he’ll be driving next year anyway at Aston Martin if you get my drift 🙂 Ferrari i doubt would care.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

I think you need to give the guy a break tbh. Do you really know how you’d react to a car erupting into a fireball in front of you? Good chance it was nothing to do with “balls” and a lot to do with being overwhelmed by the situation

I did think twice about posting that as I knew there would be responses like this and sure in a way you’re right – but then I’m not a fire marshal at an F1 GP. Put it this way – are you telling me you wouldn’t be angry if it was a family member in that car (and the outcome was worse) and one marshal didn’t get close enough to be effective? I would be, but maybe that’s just me.

To me it comes down more to training – you shouldn’t get overwhelmed in that sort of situation if you’ve had proper training. It would be like troops in their first taste of combat panicking and shooting in the air and not supporting fellow soldiers who are closing on the enemy (I’ll probably get more stick for that analogy).

I might even be mistaken in what I saw though – the clip linked to above just shows two fire marshals on the track side of the barrier are both are doing a good job. I just thought I remembered footage of another marshal on the otherside of the barrier being very ineffective. Not bothering to look for clips though as don’t really want to derail this thread further than I have already.

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

He wasn’t very close to the barrier because there was quite a lot of fire on that side of it too

Also, he’s had about 10 seconds to get there, start up his extinguisher and try to do something. And all while probably a bit disorientated from the massive explosion which has just happened right in front of him and which for all he knows might go up again.
    I think the first time combat analogy probably stands though, it’s all very well having loads of training in a relatively safe environment but until something happens for real no-one knows how they will react. The second time you do anything you are always much better at it.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Many moons ago I attended an RACMSA fire marshal training course (for rallying, not F1). Now perhaps my memory has faded a little but I’m pretty sure you don’t stroll into the middle of the fire and then start your extinguisher.

Premier Icon Trimix

They could well be standing on liquid fuel that has not yet ignited.

Premier Icon Sandwich

@tomhoward You are Mike Tyson AICMFP!

Premier Icon tomhoward

Dang, buthted…

Premier Icon Twodogs

Russell in the Merc!

Premier Icon bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Can’t wait!!!

How will it work with COVID bubbles etc?

Premier Icon Kryton57

Awesome to see Russell in that car.

Premier Icon pondo

Ooo, that’s interesting! 🙂

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

This will be fun to see. Both drivers knowing that they are effectively competing for the seat, Bottas having to comprehensively beat Russell, Russell having to show that he can handle the pressure without making silly mistakes.

Premier Icon retro83
    Free Member

Russell in the mercedes! 😯
    He was quick on it in testing, gonna be some serious pressure to perform though!

Premier Icon Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing how Russell gets on. In some ways I would have liked to see Hulk given a go but this is the next best thing. Benn very impressed with not only the way Russell has driven this season (sure, he had one moment a few races ago that he will have learned from – but who hasn’t had one?) but also the way he handles himself. This is a great opportunity for him to see what it’s like in the top car and how quickly he can adapt to it. Be fantastic if he gets points – even though it won’t be for Williams. Be embarrassing for Bottas if he outscores him. Either way, something to look forward to in this race

Premier Icon Bez

Very much looking forward to this!!

Premier Icon swavis

Chuffed to bits for Russell. I’ll be grinning broadly if he pwns Verstappen too 😆

Premier Icon Twodogs

and Mick Schumacher confirmed at Haas

Premier Icon mashr

gonna be some serious pressure to perform though!

Kinda, but otoh the team doesn’t need a single point from him. It’s pretty much the best test scenario ever

Premier Icon P20

So happy for Russell

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Kinda, but otoh the team doesn’t need a single point from him. It’s pretty much the best test scenario ever

They just need him between Valtteri and Max. They do NOT need him to win. He is the Bottas wingman for this race.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

My stellar powers of prediction let me down again!! 🙂 🙂

Premier Icon dannybgoode

They do NOT need him to win. He is the Bottas wingman for this race.

I am rather hoping they let them race – see just how good he is. OK it would do nothing for Bottas’s 2nd place chances nor his confidence if Russell handed him his arse on a plate but it would be entertaining at least.

Fair play to Williams for letting him do it as well…

Premier Icon Twodogs

I assume Merc must have given Williams the amount of money they’d have got if they scored a point at the next race!

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Who is going to start writing Bottas’s excuse for not winning the next two races?

That really would be humiliating for him if it is anything other than mechanical issues.

Sad to see Lewis’s unbroken run of GPs since he started in 2007. Is that a record?

Premier Icon pondo

Sad to see Lewis’s unbroken run of GPs since he started in 2007. Is that a record?

Wiki says yes.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Sad to see Lewis’s unbroken run of GPs since he started in 2007

265 race entries and race starts yes.

And also the record for most consecutive finishes of 48 – and all those 48 are in the points too so that’s another streak broken. You see – best car blah blah but 48 consecutive points finishes, the most of all time – the guy is just a machine. And there is only a single race in between something like 80+ consecutive finishes. That’s nearly 4 straight seasons…

Premier Icon b230ftw

I keep looking back at Grosjeans car and the fire and where it was wedged in the fence and I still have no idea how he got out, even more so with so few injuries. The fence is wrapped round the halo. Amazing and so glad he’s ok.

He had some quotes on BBC F1 posts that he had to make the choice to use his hands on burning hot sections of the car but was thinking about Nicki Lauda and his own kids and just made a massive effort to get out as the flames were aroung him.
    Very sobering.

Premier Icon retro83
    Free Member

b230ftw

I keep looking back at Grosjeans car and the fire and where it was wedged in the fence and I still have no idea how he got out, even more so with so few injuries. The fence is wrapped round the halo. Amazing and so glad he’s ok.

He had some quotes on BBC F1 posts that he had to make the choice to use his hands on burning hot sections of the car but was thinking about Nicki Lauda and his own kids and just made a massive effort to get out as the flames were aroung him.
    Very sobering.

Same here, a very lucky escape. I read somewhere that his boot was trapped and was left in the car.

There was a nice message from him on insta

grosjeanromain Verified

This video is incredible.

Look at the professionalism of the fireman, trying to keep the fire away from me in the car.

Look at the action on Ian Roberts and his involvement. I told him he was a hero, he went into the fire as much as he could to save me.

Finally, this is also the moment I realized I was going to live. Extracting my body from the chassis. Yes it burned myself and yes it was painful but that’s nothing compare to the relief I felt as soon as I could get up. I felt Ian’s hands pulling me over the barrier and knew I was safe. I remember every second of it and life will never be the same again, but I’m sure for the best.
    I met with death and that is the worst feeling I ever had. But I’m alive and will enjoy every second of life and every small win in a much better way from now on.

Thank you

Romain

https://www.instagram.com/p/CISWc0Aity0/

Premier Icon mashr

Same here, a very lucky escape. I read somewhere that his boot was trapped and was left in the car.

Definitely lost, there’s a photo kicking around of him with one boot on (or you can see it in the Autosport video)

Premier Icon dannybgoode

I remember every second of it and life will never be the same again, but I’m sure for the best

One of the most compelling interviews I heard was Berger describing his Imola crash. He describes tiny details he remembers; perhaps seeing something on his tyre, a wobble, the bumping across the grass etc. They then played the crash in real-time and the events he described probably lasted less than 1/2 a second when you were expecting a few seconds of footage.

I guess they are that used to analysing at speed that they can remember insane amounts of data and detail and yes, I would expect Grosjean can remember dozens of things that happened in the blink of an eye that make up the impact and the aftermath.

By his own admission he is going to need psychological support as he saw death…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.