Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,908 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • hols2
    Free Member

He ‘s now perhaps the perfect excuse, with Ferrari having to take their car back to base 2020 spec

Thing is, even if the car is shit, you still have to beat your teammate. Vettel got schooled by Ricciardo and Leclerc. Hamilton, Alonso, Button, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Piquet, Lauda, etc. all had world champion teammates. None of them wilted the way Vettel did, as I recall.

the-muffin-man

It’ll be interesting to see how Vettel bears up this season. I can’t think of a time when a multiple world champ has been forced out like this before, instead of retiring. Has this happened before?

Mansell was dumped by Williams and promptly went to Indycar and won the championship.

FB-ATB

Ferrari having to take their car back to base 2020 spec

With a track record like this, should stop future rumours of Hamilton going to them!

mashr

Mansell was dumped by Williams and promptly went to Indycar and won the championship.

The only that has ever been reigning F1 and Indycar Champ at the same time

hols2
    Free Member

And whined and moaned so much that he wasn’t wanted in either series.

hols2
    Free Member

Ignore, fail at trying to be clever.

simondbarnes

Nothing about today? Merc fastest but now awaiting verdict of Red Bull DAS protest. The pink Mercs look quick but still think things will be tight in the midfield. Ferrari appear to be struggling at the moment.
    I haven’t seen the forecast but a bit of rain on Sat and / or Sun would be good to spice things up.

wukfit
    Free Member

I liked the nickname “Tracing point”

escrs
    Free Member

DAS is Legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justinbieber

Or rather, DAS ist gut?

hols2
    Free Member

Kryton57

Finger boy out of the top 10 and LeClerc 9th.  Ferrari really are a mess.

rOcKeTdOg

That Merc lawnmower is fast!

hols2
    Free Member

Race for turn 1 tomorrow will be awesome. My bet is for Hamilton and Verstappen to take each other out on lap 1, followed by random crashing of egos, then Ricciardo to educate the kids on how to drive a race car. Bottas, Albon, and Leclerc on podium, Ricciardo 4th.

wukfit
    Free Member

Watching qualifying highlights now and there’s a few things that strike me
    Lots of the teams have custom face masks that just don’t work! (They all look the same design) the don’t seal around the nose, keep slipping a needing readjusting etc.
    The Ferrari seems to have lots of blank space on the car, a lot of missing sponsors

IvanDobski
    Free Member

When the organisers literally pay you to turn up you don’t need sponsers quite as much.

reluctantjumper

Well that was rather fun watching Ferrari implode. They’ve properly dropped the ball with this year’s car. Doesn’t bode well for next year either as the chassis has to be carried forward as part of the cost saving measures. I just hope they sort things out over this season so that LeClerc and Sainz can have a good season in ’21. On the upside watching Vettel struggle and presumably throw his toys out if the pram will be fun.

As for the masks they’re all living in a huge bubble, the masks are mainly for show rather than effectiveness. When they’re back in the garages and in close proximity to each other they have different ones that are presumably more effective.

Mercedes do look absolutely dominant though, if they have that kind of advantage at every circuit they are going to have a season like McLaren did in ’88.

Bez

Norris! Cracking result. Shame we didn’t quite get to see Russell in Q2. Still, looks like they can go racing with Alfa and maybe even Haas.

I’m almost feeling sorry for Ferrari. I’ve almost got bored of watching them, and Seb, implode year after year. Almost, but not quite.

But that Merc is bonkers. Sticking half a second on the field under stable regulations? Mad.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Absolutely superb stuff from Norris to bag P4. Sainz isn’t far behind and McLaren appear to have a pretty sorted car already. Whether or not the qualifying speed translates into race pace remains to be seen, I suspect that Norris and Sainz will finish behind the Racing Points.

Williams appear to have made massive strides too, Russell is starting to show potential.

What went wrong at Ferrari…They weren’t THAT far off the pace during testing, surely? Either the car is draggy and the aero under-performing, or it’s down on power.

reluctantjumper

Ferrari are essentially running their launch car with no updates whatsoever. Everyone else has run updates during pre-season testing and had plenty of time to run a second or third set of updates. Ferrari are basically 3-4 months behind everyone else!

hols2
    Free Member

What went wrong at Ferrari…They weren’t THAT far off the pace during testing, surely?

Theory 1: They realized that this season is a write-off so they decided to put all their resources into updates that will make them competitive next year.

Theor 2: They have utterly ****ed the dog and don’t know what to do about it.

Twodogs

All the Ferrari powered cars are crap…funny that.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

3 place grid penalty for Lewis . Red bull pulling out the stops for a win this weekend. Raising questions for everything Mercedes. Someone really doesnt want Lewis to win this weekend

rOcKeTdOg

What went wrong at Ferrari

The FIA looked at their engine so they had to take out the extra fuel squirts in bit*

*I am not an F1 engineer, can you tell?

bruneep

Someone really doesnt want Lewis to win this weekend

He never lifted under yellow flag, only himself to blame for that

tjagain

Hamilton went past a yellow without lifting. thats a penalty. No excuses.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

True, but Red Bull are really desperate for Max to win here. Home track and all.

Bay as you say Lewis did break the rules.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That’s not what they said yesterday, there were conflicting flag colours.

Kryton57

Lewis had a pop at Bernie this week.

just sayin, even though he’s “not involved…”

tjagain

Merc also have their dodgy steering system which they are allowed to use this year but will be banned from next. IMO Merc and Hamilton get a much easier time from the stewards than others

PJM1974
    Free Member

The FIA looked at their engine so they had to take out the extra fuel squirts in bit*

*I am not an F1 engineer, can you tell?

That would make sense – I suggested that the Ferrari was suffering from an excess of drag – this may have been where the compromise was set using the data from last year’s engine and the expected performance level for this year’s car before the FIA investigated the fuel flow meters.

Where’s the news on Hamilton’s grid drop? The latest from the F1 site shows that Red Bull are appealing the stewards’ decision not to penalise Lewis.

<Edit> Ah – https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1279755721337384960

hols2
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

So we have Bottas’ Merc in Pole position, Verstappen second and a McLaren starting from third on the grid…let that sink in for a moment and think of where the team were in 2017/18. I still expect Racing Point to be quicker on pure race pace than McLaren, but with Ferrari in the doldrums for the foreseeable the battle for third place will be interesting to say the least.

<Edit> Thanks Hols2, that graphic shows how much of a headache Ferrari’s engine dept has right now.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

sorry to say karma for Red bull. I really think Verstappen would’ve been in great shape at the end

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Red Bull

PJM1974
    Free Member

Lap eighteen and it looks as though Perez has the measure of Norris in front. Surprisingly, Stroll is nowhere, obviously struggling for pace and seems to have been passed by Gasly. I didn’t expect that!

Kryton57

Those Ferrari’s are going to be flattered by everyone else’s retirements.  As commentary says, they are the 5th fastest car at best.

PJM1974
    Free Member

And Ricciardo out along with Verstappen. Neither Renault looked anything other than mediocre…and now Stroll has retired!

Two seconds apiece separate Norris, Leclerc, Perez and Sainz.

hols2
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

Magnussen out too, apparently slid off the track defending from Ocon.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,908 total)

The topic ‘F1 2020 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.