Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,908 total)
  • F1 2020 (spoilers abound)
  • Pook

Ok now that’s done and dusted….

Who’s putting a fiver on Bottas for next year?

boomerlives
    Free Member

Nobody who has any sense and a fiver would do that.

Leclerc, maybe. Bottas won’t beat Lewis over a season

thepurist

Hoping that Ferrari & RB take a proper fight to Merc (well, Albon & LeClerc – not a fan of Max or Seb), that Williams find some pace and make it through the season, that McLaren start nibbling on the tail of the top 3, that Renault decide to stay in F1 and (most unlikely) that Sky offer C4 a better highlights package than they did this year,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bombjack
    Free Member

2020 Good points – Hamilton to close in on 100 race wins, match Schumacher on 7 titles, soundly beating Bottas (again), probably wrapping up the title by just after the mid season break. If Red Bull keeps Albon then expect him to beat Verstappen soundly, and many toys to be thrown out of the pram.
    2020 Not so good points – All apart from Merc / Ferrari deciding do ditch their 2020 cars asap and develop their 2021 cars to the new rules (even Ferrari to limit development as soon as the percentages go against them). Renault to walk rather than spend cubic dollars developing tech that keeps getting banned, Williams to flounder at the back and probably not make 2021.
    No new manufactures to sign up, probability that Alfa might call it a day as they’ve just canned their 2 potential sports cars.
    But hey, theres 25 races!

scotroutes

Would 2021 be the first season there are more races than cars?

andytherocketeer

probably wrapping up the title by just after the mid season break

that won’t happen, unless practically every other driver scores nearly 0 points in every race

a lead that’s unlikely to be chased perhaps, but a mathematical win can only be much later in the season

I can see Max outscoring Albon in races where they both finish, but Albon outscoring overall due to consistency, and not getting involved in stupid mistakes that lead to DNFs.

hols2
    Free Member

Merc and Hamilton have to be favorites for next year. Ferrari seem to have an excellent engine, two good drivers, and have sorted out their aerodynamic problems, but they just keep dropping the ball. I think they’ll improve next year, but it’s hard to see LeClerk and Vettel not having a falling out if the car is competitive. Hamilton is clearly a better driver then Bottas. Bottas is fast when he gets everything sorted, but Hamilton has been amazing this year. I would say 10 to 1 odds of Hamilton coming out on top again.

Honda and Renault are still a bit behind on the engine front. Hard to see them catching Merc and Ferrari, especially in qualifying mode. I expect Red Bull and McLaren to be closer to the front, but still third and fourth. Sainz versus Norris will be interesting, as well as seeing how Albon stacks up now that he has some experience. Hard to see Renault catching Red Bull. McLaren seem to have overcome their aero problems and are rebuilding, so Renault will have to improve massively to do better than fifth. Ricciardo versus Ocon will be another fascinating one.

As for the rest, bit of a lottery, but Haas are so unpredictable that they could finish anywhere from fourth to last. Hopefully Williams will sort out their problems, but hard to see them finishing anywhere except last again. I assume they will prioritize 2021 over next year.

thepurist

21 races on this season’s calendar, 20 cars on the grid.

the-muffin-man

There are more races than cars now!

thepurist

Oooof – teams reject Pirelli’s 2020 tyres and stick with the ones they didn’t like this year.   That’s a lovely Xmas present for the Pirelli bods who’ve been working on them for the last year or so.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-tyre-2020-spec-teams-vote/4608851/

mashr

ah well, it was always an interim change anyway given what’s going to happen to the tyres in 2021

oomidamon

Ferrari have signed LeClerc for 5 years, I guess they don’t want him going anywhere else. That’ll probably put paid to Lewis joining them for ’21.

mashr

There must be some very interesting assurances and/or clauses to make him sign up for that long this early in his career…..

richmtb

It also puts Vettel in an interesting position.

Surely the guy with a 5 year contract in his pocket is the defacto No 1 driver.

retro83
    Free Member

What’s Seb’s current contract?

scotroutes

Ends next year

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if they sign Vettel again

PJM1974
    Free Member

Leclerc’s five year deal is quite exceptional, enough to keep him in place if Hamilton decides to join for 2021. I can’t see Vettel sticking around beyond 2020, I don’t buy speculation that Mercedes would offer him a contract…pretty sure that they’d be after Verstappen and with Russell in the second car.

Oh and Williams’ woe continues. They’ve signed Ticktum as one of their development drivers. I can’t see this ending well.

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a fair few drivers that could put in a considerably more consistent drive (the kind of consistency that they’ll need to win a constructors championship) at a whopping 90% discount as compared to Vettel including Raikkonen, Hulkenberg, Ricciardo, Sainz and maybe even Perez. That said though, the day Ferrari start making rational decisions will also be the day when Formula 1 becomes a lot less interesting to watch lol

rob2
    Free Member

Red bull all the way.

Someone I work with also works with one of the teams and Ferrari were apparently adjusting the pulsing of the fuel flow sensor, hence dumping in more fuel. Managed to all fit within the weighing tolerances. Hence why they dropped a bit on the last couple of races and likely to be curtailed next year. Allegedly 😉

mashr

They were injecting in between pulses and the rules have already been changed for next year. It came out a coupe of weeks ago

jimster01

Ferrari need strong management/drivers to direct the team. They have the Italian mentality ingrained into the fabric of the team. Even when Schumacher was winning championship after championship they managed to screw it up for Irvine after Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone.

For this reason I can’t see Hamilton going there.

thepurist

Max has extended with RB to 2023, so that confirms him as #1 there with LeClerc as de facto #1 at Ferrari.

Unless there’s a massive reshuffle from the 21 rules that means Merc now offers the only fully competitive seat with a chance of WDC.  Can’t see Hamilton going anywhere else now.

the-muffin-man

I still think Hamilton will go to Ferrari in 2021 and get himself on the company car for life and free lunches forever in Italy scheme! 🙂

No reason to think this season will be any different in the pecking order. He could go to Ferrari with 7 world titles and nothing to prove and isn’t afraid to go up against the best drivers.

oomidamon

Even when Schumacher was winning championship after championship they managed to screw it up for Irvine after Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone.

Schumacher hadn’t won a title for Ferrari at that point, I don’t think Irvine winning one first was in the script or what anyone in Ferrari would have allowed.

mashr

He could go to Ferrari with 7 world titles and nothing to prove and isn’t afraid to go up against the best drivers.

Would he go as #2 or joint #1 (therefore putting Super LeClerc’s nose out of joint)? Both options seem riddled with potential issues

boomerlives
    Free Member

LH would smack down the young pretender without much effort.

Especially if LeClerc hadn’t won a championship by then (unlikely) and Lewis was parachuted in to bring a trophy home to Italy. He would be a national hero from the start.

mashr

Ok Boomer (sorrry, just wanted to be able to say that)

hols2
    Free Member

LH would smack down the young pretender without much effort.

LeClerk has just finished his second year in F1, he made a four-time champion look ordinary in the same car. He will continue to improve as he gets more experience. Hamilton is a truly astonishing driver, but he will start to slow down in the next few years. If you put those two in the same car next year, I would put my money on Hamilton because of his experience, but I think he would have to dig deep. Give LeClerk a couple more years and I would put my money on him. I don’t think Ferrari will be interested in Hamilton given how impressive LeClerk was last year, Hamilton’s too expensive and potentially destabilizing.

the-muffin-man

LeClerk has just finished his second year in F1, he made a four-time champion look ordinary in the same car.

Seb has always been ordinary! 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

No, when Vettel gets the car sorted out the way he likes, he is very fast and qualifies well. He seems to struggle when the car doesn’t suit his driving style, whereas Alonso and Hamilton seem better able to work around a difficult car. I don’t think Vettel is as good as Hamilton, but he’s much better than ordinary. That’s why Red Bull promoted him and Ferrari gave him preferred status.

retro83
    Free Member

Yep. Seb seems to need a very stable rear axle.
    My recollection is when the FIA made some reg changes regarding the diffuser or exhaust blowing around 2012 ish, suddenly Webber closed the gap. As soon as RB got their system working, Seb was out in front again.

jairaj

Oh not sure Hamilton would beat LeClerk easily. He would definitely win but I think he’d have to push hard. LeClerk might also play the role of 2nd driver better if he was teamed up with Hamilton.

It must have been hard for the Ferrari management making LeClerk toe the line. Seb had a rubbish season with mistakes and races where he was simply outclassed by the new guy. Giving LeClerk lots of ammunition to argue he should be promoted. I think Hamilton would be more consistent, faster and bring in the results compared to Seb; giving little leeway for LeClerk to even get a glimpse of being a primary driver.

For sure in a year or two when he’s matured and still has that amazing pace he will be a real contender but by then Hamilton may retire or happy to take the back seat as you know he’ll be an old man by then? 😉

hols2
    Free Member

He would definitely win

I don’t think there’s anything very definite about it.

LeClerk might also play the role of 2nd driver better if he was teamed up with Hamilton.

Or he might see it as an opportunity to assert himself as a racing driver instead of a water boy.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I suspect this will be a much closer, tighter season. It will depend on how competitive the cars are. I still maintain that Ferrari had the better (certainly faster) car for the first half of last season and Vettel messed it up. LeClerc was unlucky in a couple of races and had the luck been with him might have made it a more competitive season – at least in the first half. Agree that Vettel is quick and talented driver but, for me, has shown these past few seasons that he doesn’t have that racers instinct. He is often quite clumsy when it’s time to get the elbows out and you can see that the odds are high that it will go a bit wrong. And as he gets older I don’t see that improving any. Likely to worsen as he probably still thinks in his head he is a great driver. If Ferrari and Red Bull in paerticluar have stronger cars this year then the championship will be a lot closer and I think could go anywhere between Hamilton, LeClerc and Verstappen. Based on the last two seasons I won’t be reading too much into the testing sessions they have though. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Leclerc people. Leclerc! Lol

PJM1974
    Free Member

Verstappen’s contract for 2020-23 is indicative that Honda will commit to Red Bull beyond 2021. Honda made massive progress last year, Honda engines claimed race wins and podiums after having made steady progress during 2018 away from the limelight in a Toro Rosso. The momentum is there to challenge Merc for 2020, a three-way fight for the title would be nice.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been super enjoying the closing up of the gaps between the top teams due to the stability of the engines regs. Great stuff!

andy4d

My money,for the manufacturers title, is on whoever Rich Energy/lightning volt throw there huge financial backing behind. With that sort of financial muscle behind a team they are sure to walk it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Haas certainly would have been faster if they walked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,908 total)

The topic ‘F1 2020 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.