• This topic has 1,693 replies, 146 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,694 total)
  • F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)
  • hols2
    Free Member

Any predictions for the next 4 days then?

Alonso to not make a comeback.
    Renault and Red Bull to make snarky comments about each other.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Merc complaining of balance issues, especially Bottas/seat waster (getting his excuses in early?).

Could this be “the Red Baron/Finger Boy’s”  year or will the apprentice become the master?

Will Lewis implode under pressure as the red cars romp away?

Guess who’s just sacked Sky off, brilliant timing Ming, brilliant timing🤬

retro83
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless

Subscriber

Merc complaining of balance issues, especially Bottas/seat waster (getting his excuses in early?).

Gary Anderson said he could see that they had problems with (IIRC) high speed understeer from the onboards.

RickDraper
    Free Member

McLaren seem all at sea again which is a real shame.

the-muffin-man

Well – the morning session over and the Williams doesn’t look a million miles off. And on a middle compound tyre too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Any news on what stopped the McLaren this morning?

Also, Russell in the Williams is showing progress…sixth fastest.

thepurist

McLaren ave apparently said it was loss of hydraulic pressure.  Which covers a whole multitude of possibilities from finger trouble on a fitting to a large mechanical part lunching itself.

Oh and Alonso’s turned up.  Still felling confident hols2?  😀

jamesy01
    Free Member

Disappointing that Sky are not track-side all afternoon this week, in fact a quick browse of the telly guide doesn’t suggest any testing programs!

And is anyone setting up the STW Fantasy F1 this year?

hols2
    Free Member

Oh and Alonso’s turned up.

If he decides to drive, you can bet the McLaren will turn out to be a turd. If he doesn’t, it’ll probably win races.

the-muffin-man

Nothing to see here!

retro83
    Free Member

Mclaren looking quite good today and Vettel’s had a little trip into the wall at turn 3.

mashr

That’s a funny place for someone like Vettel to bin it, looks like he might’ve gone straight in too?

retro83
    Free Member

mashr

That’s a funny place for someone like Vettel to bin it, looks like he might’ve gone straight in too?

Yeah, there was some talk of component failure. Don’t think Ferrari have confirmed anything yet.

vid: https://streamja.com/aowa

ETA: ferrari confirm component failure:

jamesy01
    Free Member

There is a video of the off which seems to show a failure at the rear of the car…perhaps suspension.

<iframe src=”https://streamable.com/s/193rq/lqeost&#8221; frameborder=”0″ width=”100%” height=”100%” allowfullscreen style=”width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;”></iframe></div>”>

the-muffin-man

I would wet myself laughing if McLaren win with the Renault engine this year! 🙂

Mr Horner’s face would be a sight to behold.

PJM1974
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding cautious, I’m trying not to read too much into McLaren’s laptimes this week. Although both Norris and Sainz have set fastest laptimes in the MCL34 using the soft(ish) C4 tyre, I have no idea about comparative fuel loads or engine mapping data. The likelihood is that they represent a “Glory Run” with empty tanks and a pressing need to attract the attention of potential sponsors.

retro83
    Free Member

PJM1974

At the risk of sounding cautious, I’m trying not to read too much into McLaren’s laptimes this week. Although both Norris and Sainz have set fastest laptimes in the MCL34 using the soft(ish) C4 tyre, I have no idea about comparative fuel loads or engine mapping data. The likelihood is that they represent a “Glory Run” with empty tanks and a pressing need to attract the attention of potential sponsors.

True but nonetheless, Sainz has posted a faster time (1:17.144s) than Alonso did for Q3 last year (1:17.721) so they are at least going in the right direction.

thepurist

…or some haterz will no doubt say Alonso was basically phoning it in and isn’t actually that good any more.

And remember #ItsOnlyTesting – no idea if that’s a glory run with low fuel, underwright car etc  IIRC Williams were the pace setters a few years back when they had that nice dark blue testing livery, but then failed to show up for the season.

retro83
    Free Member

Tru dat.

Speaking of williams, they’ve racked up a fair amount of laps the last couple of days, so at least the car is looking reliable. Slow AF so far though, hopefully they’ve not tried for fast laps yet.

hols2
    Free Member

or some haterz will no doubt say Alonso was basically phoning it in and isn’t actually that good any more.

He utterly destroyed that other guy who was his teammate last year. Alonso sounds like a right prick, but I don’t think anyone doubts that he massivly outperformed the car last year. Obviously can’t read too much into laptimes from testing, but seems safe to say that the McLaren and Renault engine are a solid improvement over last year.

hols2
    Free Member

McLaren are doomed. Car is pretty much guaranteed to be a dog now.

the-muffin-man

McLaren faster than the Red Bull – both on the softest compound! 🙂

Please, please, please – don’t be running underweight.

#PrayForMclaren

retro83
    Free Member

Albon in the Toro Rosso faster than them both by three tenths 👌

retro83
    Free Member

Starting to see some quick times now, wondering if we’ll see anything in the 1:15 area…

thepurist

Grrr – I’ve always followed testing with the Autosport live feed but this morning it’s popped up with ‘To continue enjoying covereage please register’.  It’s the first time for the entire test that this has happened.  The exact same feed is still available without registering on Motorsport.com but it’s just an example of how Brown’s mob are slowly withdrawing access to features and trying to monetise all their ‘reporting’.  I don’t mind paying for decent content (have subscribed to Joe Saward’s GP+) but a lot of their stuff is just regurgitated press releases and speculative drivel with clickbait titles.  Harrumph.

Anyhow, will we see everyone (including the silver cars) go for quick laps today?  Will that tell us anything about the actual order?

hols2
    Free Member

Karun Chandhok’s adjusted lap times, looks like Ferrari a bit ahead, then a group that are too close to really separate. Obviously, by the time they get to Melbourne, things might look a bit different, Merc and Red Bull will be working pretty hard on improvements.

retro83
    Free Member

thepurist

Subscriber

Grrr – I’ve always followed testing with the Autosport live feed but this morning it’s popped up with ‘To continue enjoying covereage please register’. It’s the first time for the entire test that this has happened. The exact same feed is still available without registering on Motorsport.com but it’s just an example of how Brown’s mob are slowly withdrawing access to features and trying to monetise all their ‘reporting’. I don’t mind paying for decent content (have subscribed to Joe Saward’s GP+) but a lot of their stuff is just regurgitated press releases and speculative drivel with clickbait titles. Harrumph.

Seems to be working for me, maybe they made a mistake when publishing it (or they got a backlash and changed their minds!)

Klunk
    Free Member

seems like mercedes have turned the wick up, running 3 tenths quicker than that adjusted time up ^^ though it doesn’t say what tyre it was on.

retro83
    Free Member

Klunk

seems like mercedes have turned the wick up, running 3 tenths quicker than that adjusted time up ^^ though it doesn’t say what tyre it was on.

They did 16.5 on the C5, however Seb put in a 16.7 on the C3.

thepurist

All depends on what mode the PUs were in too.  We don’t know if Merc are running ‘all day every day’ mode and Ferrari are in ‘we can run it like this but it’ll kill the motor in an hour’ mode, or if Merc are actually in full ‘TURN THIS OFF AFTER ONE LAP’ mode.

Bring on P1 in Oz when we start to see signs of the truth rather than the smokescreen of testing.

Klunk
    Free Member

Vettel 1:16.221 c5
    Hamilton 1:16.224 c5 or perhaps c4

retro83
    Free Member

thepurist

Now, I’m no F1 engineering god but given Honda’s history of tight packaging & heat management in the McLaren, would you be pushing the limits on your first foray with their PU?

You called it.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141872/honda-engine-packaging-a-bit-too-aggressive

PJM1974
    Free Member

Oof. Honda can’t wait for 2021.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Just set up a fantasy F1 league over on grid rivals.com, league name STW.

retro83
    Free Member

jamesy01

Just set up a fantasy F1 league over on grid rivals.com, league name STW.

In!

njee20
    Free Member

I’m in!

retro83
    Free Member

FIA stamps down on Williams for illegal car

The team from Grove were not only late for the test in Barcelona, but it also appears that Paddy Lowes car is illegal and must be changed before the first race in just under two weeks.

The FW42 has had a difficult birth, with TJ13 being told by insiders at the team that a big reason that the car was late happened to be some bad decisions made by upper managers last year when they tried to sack staff, the result of which backfired massively.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Paddy Lowe is taking a “leave of absence” from Williams! Cannot help but think they are in deep, deep shit!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141929/lowe-takes-leave-from-troubled-williams-team

mashr

Remind me: why only 1 car per team at pre-season testing these days?

simondbarnes

Remind me: why only 1 car per team at pre-season testing these days?

Cost cutting.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,694 total)

The topic ‘F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)’ is closed to new replies.