• This topic has 1,693 replies, 146 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 1,694 total)
  • F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)
  • hols2
    Free Member

That’s good news for Albon, he seems to be doing well. I heard a rumor that Williams were looking at Tomislav Lubenjak to replace Kubica.

thepurist

Thought Latifi was the hot tip for the Williams seat?

hols2
    Free Member

Lubenjak is pushing very hard, apparently.

Bez

Lubenjak is pushing very hard, apparently.

Probably faster than actually getting in it and driving it 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Watched Le Mans ’66 yesterday, loved it. Had never heard of Ken Miles before, it’s quite the story. Definitely worth a watch!

pondo

Oh yeah, forgot that was out! Cheers, looking forward to it. 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

haas is confusing me

athgray
    Free Member

Watched Le Mans ’66 yesterday, loved it. Had never heard of Ken Miles before, it’s quite the story. Definitely worth a watch!

Just back from this. I thought it was excellent.

andrewh
    Free Member

haas is confusing me

Steiner sounded equally baffled

Kryton57

Wow. Bernie showing an obvious grudge toward Lewis. I wonder why.

Kryton57

Ooof.  Finger boy messes up yet again.  I wonder if we’ll see a punch up in the pits

rOcKeTdOg

That was a cracking race. Super result for Gasly

simondbarnes

Is Sainz going to get promoted to the podium?

retro83
    Free Member

Those last 20 laps

crazy-legs

Ooof. Finger boy messes up yet again. I wonder if we’ll see a punch up in the pits

He’d deserve every punch he got. He can’t be that far off a one-race ban the number of penalty points he’s got. That’d be funny.

retro83
    Free Member

I was kinda hoping Sainz may get promoted if Hamilton took a penalty but the rumours on twitter are that he’s also under investigation for DRS under yellows 🙄

bruneep

Sainz also under investigation for using DRS under double yellow flags

nickewen
    Free Member

I don’t think Hamilton deserves a penalty for that. Door was wide open – every racing car driver would have went for that.

As for Seb.. silly boy. Should have kept right a moment longer and would have been fine. He’s broken rule 1 of racing cars in a team. Still, I’m shocked at the damage form a shunt I didn’t even notice 1st time round!

nickewen
    Free Member

Surprised at that penalty for Hamilton.

retro83
    Free Member

Sainz promoted, hamilton given 5s penalty

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Surprised at the Hamilton penalty but meh. Gutted for Albon as I would have loved to have seen him on the podium.

Excellent viewing watching Ferrari implode on a Sunday afternoon.

Still can’t stand Max, he’s almost as annoying as Horner.

Great drive from Carlos from the back of the grid. What happened to Lando?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to the stewards dishing out all those drs through a yellow flag zone penalties. 😈

Bez

So disappointed for Albon… did an amazing job battling Vettel and would have thoroughly deserved a podium. I was half hoping the second safety car would run to the flag for an all-Hondo podium.

Vettel, though… jeez. Just when you thought he’d finally pulled himself together.

reluctantjumper

I would not like to be Better right now!

The way he’s going right now I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferrari decide to ‘let’ him sit out Abu Dhabi, either that or he’s got to drive a perfect weekend. The Italian press are going to try their level best to destroy him as they can see Leclerc being their best hope for a champion next season.

boomerlives
    Free Member

dishing out all those drs through a yellow flag zone

Including Sainz. This could run and run, the musical podium.

reluctantjumper

I would not like to be Better Vettel right now!

FFS, even spellchecker thinks he needs to improve 😂

Bez

Binotto is being perhaps too diplomatic now. It’s very clear from the camera positioned at turn 4 what happened. Leclerc didn’t just give Vettel space, he was moving away from him before, and when, they touched. I can’t see how this is anything but 100% on Vettel’s shoulders.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.leclerc-and-vettel-apologise-for-race-ending-clash-as-ferrari-boss-reserves.1ou11jq8a0O5Nd2s6qDSsh.html

A fiver says we’re in for a full-on Ferrari meltdown next year.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sooo (in the absence of me seeing the race and being completely confused about what happened in those last two laps), what would have been the likely race position for Hamilton had they not pitted after the Vettel collision (assuming his tyres didn’t fall off the cliff)?

andytherocketeer

So if my maths is right, that also means finger boy has to win in Abu Dhabi, and Leclerc be out of the points for the former world champion to beat his near rookie team mate in the overall standings?

Shame that Lewis and Albon coming together knackered Albon’s chance of outscoring Max in their races as team mates, and outscoring Gasly overall. Least he’s signed already for 2020.

the-muffin-man

Albon can still be ahead of Gasly in the championship.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

And once again Vettel comes over to squeeze Hamilton at the start. When are the FIA going to do something about that or are they just waiting for an accident to happen?

hols2
    Free Member

Yes, next year will be interesting. Here’s Andrew Benson’s view on that:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50455068

Leclerc is likely to finish this year ahead of Vettel on points, on race wins, on pole positions, and on their qualifying head-to-head, despite the advantages Vettel had at the beginning of the year, and despite the fact that he is in his first year with the team and only in his second in F1, against a four-time champion with 53 wins.

To all intents and purposes, Leclerc is now Ferrari’s lead driver, and Binotto cannot go into next year giving Vettel priority. But nor will Vettel accept it being given to Leclerc. He just doesn’t work that way. He believes his status in the sport demands more.

As for Binotto, he has a number of times this year described having two such closely matched and competitive drivers as “a luxury”. Does he still think that way?

“I am still convinced it is a luxury because they are both very good drivers,” he said. “They both represent a benchmark for each other and they have improved during the season.

“Seb in the second half has been very fast. What happened today, I would say it was even lucky it happened this season because there will be an opportunity to clarify with them for it not to happen next year.

“Currently they have a good relations and are going well together. Certainly what happened today may not help. But I don’t think there is a drama at all and I see it more as an opportunity in view of next year to clarify what is needed.”

retro83
    Free Member

Thought this was interesting, a composite of Seb and Charles’ positions as they came down the straight:

Easily avoidable incident, i’d say 70/30 Seb’s fault.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

i’d say 70/30 Seb’s fault.

So a driver pretty much drives in a straight line most of the straight then moves away from the bloke passing him and he’s 30% to blame? How have you come to that conclusion?

Seb can’t race wheel to wheel, he’s shown it many times. I don’t know what it is that’s affecting him but if his relatively rookie team mate can understand how to position a car on a track when overtaking than what’s his excuse?

Bez

Leclerc was moving away from Vettel. Seb just kept coming. Sorry, but it’s 100/0 to me. Of course Leclerc could have moved all the way across to the left hand side of the track, but he’s a racing driver in the top formula.

He gave enough space for Seb to get alongside, and he then gave more space so there was room for error without Vettel either tangling with his car or putting his wheels on the grass.

Compare this to Rosberg and Hamilton in Spain 2016 a couple of pages back. Leclerc did all the right things here: he made Vettel work for it but gave him more than enough space to do so. Vettel simply drove into him: Leclerc rightly left room for error, he just forgot to account for the sheer size of the errors that his team-mate makes.

Kryton57

It’s been said and seen time after time that Vettels MO is to squeeze and bully a driver to get past.   There’s no doubt that’s the cause of this issue and many before.

nickc

Interesting that LeClerc did pretty much the same manoeuvre on Norris on the opening laps, there doesn’t seem to be the same level of vitriol here for that.

retro83
    Free Member

swedishmetal

So a driver pretty much drives in a straight line most of the straight then moves away from the bloke passing him and he’s 30% to blame? How have you come to that conclusion?

Seb can’t race wheel to wheel, he’s shown it many times. I don’t know what it is that’s affecting him but if his relatively rookie team mate can understand how to position a car on a track when overtaking than what’s his excuse?

Because the move is commonly done, and the inside driver usually moves with it. Both drivers were easily able to avoid the collision, but ultimately Seb is to blame as he was doing the squeezing.

And he absolutely can race wheel to wheel, the problem is he can’t control his temper.

nickc

Subscriber

Interesting that LeClerc did pretty much the same manoeuvre on Norris on the opening laps, there doesn’t seem to be the same level of vitriol here for that.

Quite and I think I saw Norris do it to Ricciardo too.

mashr

nickc

Subscriber

Rule 1 – don’t take out your team mate

Kryton57

..and also LeClerc isn’t at the same level of dislike as Vettel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 1,694 total)

The topic ‘F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)’ is closed to new replies.