• This topic has 1,693 replies, 146 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,694 total)
  • F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)
  • andytherocketeer

Think there’s only a couple where they tried slipstreaming in Quali. Monza was clearly one of them. Baku another where there’s an enormous “straight” where a tow is worth something and a double tow is worth more.

The only dilemma to deal with is penalising those who hold up others when on outlaps as well as flying laps. If you go so slow someone behind gets the chequered flag, and don’t let them past, then you get all your times deleted. Something like that might make them think twice.

boblo
    Free Member

@bez you know, I enjoyed reading that up there on page 30. Ta.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Red Bull are ‘bullish’ about their chances in Singapore. I’d like to see a level playing field, no penalties, full bore battle between the new boy (Albon) and the chosen one (Max V)

Max has wound his neck in a bit this year. His (at times) immature approach has been curbed this year and it’s made him a little slower and safer. Albon is fighting for his F1 life

Without interference from the pit wall, it’ll be interesting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Agreed, nicely explained Bez.

I’m sure that that the issue of team mates giving one another a tow during qualifying is not just a recent phenomenon, I guess that it’s inevitable if two cars from the same team (or same family of teams) are on track at the same time. I can’t see that much can be realistically done to fix it.

Track blocking shenanigans have been severely punished in the past (remember Schumacher “parking” his car at Rascasse causing Alonso to abort his flying lap at Monaco?). In short, I have no idea how we prevent drivers from going slowly to stymie a qualifying lap for someone else, given that the stewards were unable to determine whether Hulkenberg fell off the track on purpose…

nickc

….then the post-race discussion ceases to be about the stewarding decisions and instead becomes about whether the move was marginal or not…

Stewarding decisions are based on 2 things; The Offence, what did the driver do/what decision did he make . and 2 The Consequences of that decision/ his actions, and will/should penalise accordingly. It tries to mitigate the “marginal” element

Drivers are briefed accordingly, and have for the last couple of seasons, along with teams, tracks, stewards and marshalls taken a “it’s a race, lets race” attitude. Drivers who pull moves like Leclercs will always plead “It’s racing, and drivers who move like that will always cry foul…

jimster01

Wasn’t the Q3 farce due to Raikkanen binning it, the session being stopped and restarted with a minute or so left, but and everyone reluctant to lead the pack out?
    A one off occurrence surely?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Q3 farce due to Raikkanen binning it, the session being stopped and restarted with a minute or so left, but and everyone reluctant to lead the pack out?
    A one off occurrence surely?

Nope, it was purely as no one wanted to be first in the queue. Hence Mercs stopping at end of pit lane, then Hulk cutting the chicance hoping Stroll and Carlos would come by…but Stroll pretty much slowed to a stop to ensure Hulk rejoined at the front the queue and that backed everyone up. Then they all went slowly trying to maintain their position and not be a the front.

andrewh
    Free Member

How does quality work for Indycars? They must have some rules for ovals where slipstreaming is even more important. Could something similar be applied in F1 or isn’t it necessary?

mashr

Ovals are one car on track at a time – please dont let us go back to that!

MSP

A superpole shootout at a couple of tracks could be interesting, everyone in the final qualifying session gets just one hot lap, no room for mistakes. Also assuming it is better to go later, the top teams would be having to do hot laps in q2, therefore limiting there race strategy tire choices.

At the moment though, as farcical as it was this has only happened once, the tow issue never registered with me in the past couple of years, even though I assume it was there. Maybe with evolving aerodynamics and strategies it just became more obvious to the teams that they need to make use of it this year to stand any chance. Now it has become so obvious though, I can’t see anything changing until the aero rules change again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Meh…. how about this for slipstreaming?!

hols2
    Free Member
    oomidamon

Alonso has burnt his bridges, the top 3 don’t need or want him so he has no chance of getting in a race winning car. No doubt he knows that too but he has always liked to make a bit of mischief.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Of all the places Alonso would be welcome, Ferrari would be bottom of the list.

Amoebic Dysentery would be better received

hols2
    Free Member

Of all the places Alonso would be welcome, Ferrari would be bottom of the list.

Not quite. Red Bull (Honda) are bottom of the list.

Bez

Mercedes would be below Ferrari, too.

Ferrari might not even view him that dimly either, seeing as his successor hasn’t fared better, albeit for slightly opposing reasons: Alonso didn’t seem to help them build a winning car, but he came close to winning championships with an inferior one; Vettel has helped build a more competitive car, but then has failed to do much with it.

Bez

Will Buxton on the black and white flag:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.buxton-why-the-fia-has-got-it-right-with-black-and-white-flag-rule.3orFCtW6X1O69XaYDNFFOM.html

“The ‘conduct’ flag is not a replacement for penalties. It’s not even issued by the same office. It’s not making legal what was illegal. It’s not changing the rules. And it certainly isn’t giving carte blanche to racers to run into each other which, while we’re at it, has to be one of the silliest fears I’ve yet seen.”

Taxi for Mr Palmer… 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

“The ‘conduct’ flag is not a replacement for penalties. It’s not even issued by the same office. It’s not making legal what was illegal. It’s not changing the rules. And it certainly isn’t giving carte blanche to racers to run into each other which, while we’re at it, has to be one of the silliest fears I’ve yet seen.”

Taxi for Mr Palmer… 🙂

Well that’s intredasting, because last week the race director himself said it was the stewards decision whether the flag or a penalty was issued:

“It’s ultimately the stewards’ decision if somebody gets penalised or the bad sportsmanship flag, but if the stewards feel there was more to it then we absolutely have the capability of issuing a penalty and that’s exactly where it sits. I think it was hard. The black-and-white was issued for the reason it was there. It’s quite simple for me and a carbon copy of what Pierre [Gasly] did last weekend in Spa. It achieved its purpose.”
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-explain-use-of-f1s-yellow-card-for-leclerc-at-monza.43RcYITisZtxgpPhXn1Gye.html

simondbarnes
    thepurist

Blimey indeed.  Guess the sponsors must get a good return from all the shots of his car crashing.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Looks like Hulkenberg might end up out of F1 next year. Apparently he was asking for a lot of money from Haas so they turned him down.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I honestly can’t believe the decision to keep those two together!
    Obviously Haas know the availabilty on the driver market and what financial deals can be done, but surely there is a better option than Laurel and Hardy driving in to each other at the back of the mdifield?
    Grosjean must have some compromising photos of Gene Haas to get another year in the car.

the-muffin-man

Perhaps Netflix are funding his drive to ensure guaranteed comedy gold scenes! 🙂

the-muffin-man

And he has got 10 podium finishes compared to Hulks big fat zero.

Bez

But then they’ve had different cars. Grosjean got nearly all of his when he was lucky enough to have a highly competitive Lotus in 2012-13, but both years he was inconsistent and was beaten soundly by Raikkonen who also managed to get race wins in both years.

Hulkenberg on the other hand has never been in a race-winning car, and only one of his team-mates has ever put the same car on the podium: Perez managed four third places at Force India. But, Perez aside, he’s mostly consistently beaten his team-mates.

But Grosjean gets on ok with Magnussen…

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Very surprised at the RG announcement. He seems to have gone back to being a liability these past couple of seasons and keeping him and KM together really doesn’t make sense. I would have thought Hulk would be worth a shot there as he is generally a good driver and a bit unlucky to lose his place at Renault. Or Racing Point – but then daddy’s not going to sacrifice his son for a decent driver and they’ve just signed Perez for another couple of years

pocpoc
    Free Member

Kubica to leave Williams

Looks to be the day for announcements.
    This one is less surprising though.

the-muffin-man

Shame about Kubica – we know the car is rubbish, but he’s been hugely outclassed by a Rookie.

Twodogs

who’s in line for the Williams drive now? (if anyone actually wants it!)

mashr

Do know if Williams have anyone lined up? One of those occasions where a combination of a bit of talent and a lot of money would be handy

the-muffin-man

Nicholas Latifi – his father has bucketfulls of cash!!

Currently 2nd in F2 championship, so not a complete dobin.

papamountain
    Free Member

Hopefully hulk to Williams then… A shame he’s never had a decent car to drive.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Hulk to Alfa, Giovinazzi’s had his shot and been outclassed by the grids senior citizen…

the-muffin-man

They’d have to pay Hulk though!! 🙂

bombjack
    Free Member

Defo Lafiti to Williams. He’s been doing the Friday tests at a couple of GPs and hasn’t been completely out of his depth.
    Hulk to Alfa isnt a bad shout – possibility of a Ferrari retainer if they need him when Vettel decides he’s had enough.
    Might be very interesting this weekend if the air quality doesn’t improve and they have to shift the race to Monday. Bernie wouldn’t have stood for such petulance from the weather!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Might be very interesting this weekend if the air quality doesn’t improve and they have to shift the race to Monday. Bernie wouldn’t have stood for such petulance from the weather!

Went to the bbc website to see if there was anything about this, saw a section header “Poor air quality plan…” and found it consists of:

… warning people to “reduce prolonged or strenuous outdoor physical exertion”.

“Race organisers have taken measures to reduce the impact of the haze for the race weekend,” an F1 spokesperson said.

“They have put in place a number of measures, including public information at the circuit.”

Sounds like Bernie is still pulling the strings.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah I thought Hulkenberg was a shoe-in at Haas. But, then again, money!

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s an odd choice to have an inexperienced driver team up with a rookie but I guess, well, Williams innit

P20

Amazed to see Haas duo staying together. I’d take Hulk over Grosjean any day. Not surprised to see Kubica go, though I wish it had happened earlier, he clearly wasn’t on the pace

jimster01

Leclerc on pole again, but in Singapore, who’d have thought it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,694 total)

The topic ‘F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)’ is closed to new replies.