• This topic has 1,693 replies, 146 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,694 total)
  • F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Leclerc and Verstappen into the first corners could be a bit intense 😁

hols2
    Free Member

Leclerc and Verstappen into the first corners could be a bit intense

Yes, and Bottas will be desperate to close the points gap to Hamilton, so he’ll likely lunge for any gap he sees, plus Norris will be keen to show he can go wheel-to-wheel with the big boys, so first lap might be messy.

dannybgoode

So after KMag’s penalty – Leclerc, Verstappen, Bottas and Lewis. Could be a tasty start!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh! Vettel will be spitting feathers. Nice one Ferrari pit crew…

rOcKeTdOg

Well this is more like it, hope the RB can stay together!

rOcKeTdOg

Wow what a race!

the-muffin-man

They had better not penalize Max for that!!!

Great stuff.

MSP

Some of the best f1 I can recall seeing for a few years.

Racing incident for me, and Vettel did the same to Norris early in the race.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yep that was a fun one. 👌😎

MSP

I think Ferrari **** up the strategy again as well, I would have expected Vettal to catch Bottas if they hadn’t brought him in for the soft tyres. They had the fastest car, but were out raced and out thought again.

Rich_s

Well done Honda! #thealonsoeffect

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes! Good race Max.
    So how long for Binotti at Ferrari?

tomhoward

Ruled a racing incident, as no single driver wholly to blame/at fault. Max wins.

rOcKeTdOg

Right decision imho

retro83
    Free Member

What a race! Superb

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Brilliant. Hard racing, but that’s what we want. Brilliant driving from max. The new generation came of age today – just looked better than the old guard.

When it was first red-introduced, the A-1 ring was considered Mickey Mouse, but it is a great circuit imho. Looks difficult to drive and good for overtaking. Enjoyed that mucho.

chrismac

Can some one tell channel 4 that their commentators are supposed to neutral. I know they are on the red bull payroll but their bias is dreadful

Pook

Billy Monger is a legend though

windyg
    Free Member

Best race of the year so far, nice to see some proper racing and not a predictable outcome.

mashr

Hard racing, but that’s what we want.

Yup, didn’t open the wheel but just decided he didn’t feel like being kind any longer, as it should be.

Feel a bit for Leclerc, but you know he’s got plenty wins to come.

Any word on what Hamilton broke?

convert

Having seen the overtake now I think he should have been penalised. He was going up the inside so knew Leclerc was on the outside. He could have turned tighter but instead deliberately took a line that knowingly meant his opponent had nowhere to go. My go to position is to put a wall in place of a run off zone when looking at moves like that and he would have just driven him into a wall no question.

Also, he’s a dick with a face that’s just aching for a slap so I might be slightly biased.

mashr

Another way of looking at it is that Leclerc could have simply backed out of it and it would’ve been avoided. He could have even cut back inside to have a go at coming back at him

the-muffin-man

Not a fan of Max then convert! 🙂

While were on faces – Leclerc always looks like he’s about to burst into tears at any moment.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The bbc podcast pretty much says it was deliberate and he’d didn’t ever get ahead. When they hit it was front wheel against front wheel. This has really opened up the racing to aggression. Let’s see if that is really what the teams want.
    To be fair to the F1 stewards if they had overturned the win they would probably have not have left the circuit in one piece.

Bez

He could have turned tighter but instead deliberately took a line that knowingly meant his opponent had nowhere to go…

…other than to give up the position and back out of it.

Yup.

That’s racing. And that’s how to win at racing.

convert

…other than to give up the position and back out of it.

I genuinely don’t think he could have. At the point he could see that MVS was coming through and the line he was going to take was such that there was no space for him to go I don’t think he could have braked hard enough mid corner to make a car length of difference and either follow him or go to his inside.

That’s racing. And that’s how to win at racing.

I’d say it’s more mario kart racing than racing racing.

Bez

I genuinely don’t think he could have. At the point he could see that MVS was coming through and the line he was going to take was such that there was no space for him to go I don’t think he could have braked hard enough mid corner to make a car length of difference and either follow him or go to his inside.

But it was clear what was happening way before mid corner.

The previous lap, Leclerc had done an outstanding job of making his car wide on the run up to that turn, but in doing so he compromised his exit slightly and Verstappen went for the cutback to maximise his exit speed and nearly made it work. But with this move he would always be behind all the way through the corner so he had to leave room for Leclerc and go for the drag race down the hill.

But next time round, Leclerc defended all the way to the outside and left the inside open. Max took it, he took it early, and it was obvious what was going to happen. If you come up the inside, you compromise your exit speed, so you ensure you compromise the other guy’s exit too. You can’t compromise your exit speed even further by taking a tight line on entry and exit just to give the other guy a free ride.

Leclerc would have known this well before turning in. It’s not tricky stuff, it’s stuff you pick up when you’re starting out in karts. These two have been racing each other for years and it’s not like Max won’t go for an open door.

The issues we have are twofold: firstly the tarmac runoffs encourage drivers to try and drive round the outside regardless of what’s happening; and secondly the rules mean that whenever anyone’s racing line is compromised they’re obliged to moan about it to try and get points. Both of these things suck.

But once the door was open and Max had committed, his car was always going to end up going deep into the corner, just as it should be.

the-muffin-man
    hols2
    Free Member

Pat Fry to leave McLaren.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-pat-fry-leave-team/4487534/

Hoping Williams can lure him to sort out their problems.

oomidamon

Hoping Williams can lure him to sort out their problems.

And then blame him when he can’t?!

thepurist

Joe saward has been reporting that this was a done deal for months, as well as the continual denials that anything was confirmed. Good news though.

bruneep

😁

shermer75
    Free Member

Rich Energy is such a weird company. Their Wikipedia page has been deleted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Energy_Ltd.

Do they even exist, or are they a marketing stunt by Haas?

pondo

Jesus! I wonder how Haas put it… 🙂

slowoldman

I’m guessing they were losing the case against Whyte.

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’m guessing this comes as a shock to precisely nobody!

Stunk of a con right from the start, just surprised that in F1 people still fall for it.

I wonder if Haas ever saw any money? If not they were probably getting ready to pull the pin anyway.

Hope it doesn’t result in job losses or the team going down the pan.

mesh

I’d love it if Haas just swapped out the RE logos for Whyte on the livery…

retro83
    Free Member

I wonder if Haas ever saw any money? If not they were probably getting ready to pull the pin anyway.

I wondered if it’s a face saving effort, perhaps Rich Energy paid Haas the first amount up front then failed to make the second payment. Then they’ve issued this tweet before Haas have had a chance to announced them being removed from the car for late payment.

Clearly happened quite suddenly as they were tweeting pro-Haas stuff a short while ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,694 total)

The topic ‘F1 2019 (spoilers obviously)’ is closed to new replies.