• This topic has 82 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by accu.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Eye protection. Do you?
  • RustySpanner

I don’t.
    Never have.
    I know I should.

Have some Bloc sunnies which give me a headache and some Madison D’Arcs which make me feel I’m floating above the bike.

So I don’t wear them.

Do you?
    If yes, what do you wear?

Kuco

Yes all the time cycling. Oakley flackjackets and Adidas Evil Eye with various lenses.

Wear em all day at work and have had plenty of occasions where I’ve been glad of them too.

With flies and flying grit on the bike, I see no reason not to either.

I use various, but try some clear Bolle safety specs

knightrider
    Free Member

Having lost the vision in one eye I’m pretty paranoid about this and have a variety of goggles

mudsoul
    Free Member

I never go out for a ride without eye protection. I have two pairs of Tifosi Snglasses: Dolomite with photochromatic lenses and Logic with interchangeable lenses and they seem to cover all conditions pretty well. Got a pair of cheap goggles for the uplift days, too.

A few months ago my front wheel kicked up a pebble that hit my left lens fairly hard. I have no doubt it would have seriously hurt my eye.

nickjb
    Free Member

I never used to but I do now. Usually clear lenses, don’t really like tinted in the trees. Keeps the rain/flies/grit out.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I do, but then i wear contact lenses when riding so that needs some protection. Mud/grit/bugs etc can really mess your lenses up.

zippykona

Bills safety specs about £8 perfect.

timwillows
    Free Member

Always, tend ti use Bolle safety’s

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup.

Commuting, XC stuff, the lot.

Clear Bolle safety glasses off the bay FTW.

convert

With flies and flying grit on the bike, I see no reason not to either.

This is my usual line – but got undone by some proper Scottish dreich that made glasses useless. Shoved them in my jersey pocket where of course they were not to be found at the end of the ride. I’m now mourning their loss and working out which photochromic replacements I want/can afford.

scaredypants

does anybody make cheap clear bendable safety specs ?

(I have a “special” face that requires a bit of adjustment)

matther01
    Free Member

Yep…clear lenses only though. On 2nd pair of Avenir smokes after my dog ate the first…glad i hadnt forked out on oakleys.

Especially need them at cyb in the wet.

IanW
    Free Member

B&Q clear, yellow, tints. £5.95.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I didnt used to but in the last year or so i have been. Its way better. No getting hit in the eye with something, then riding down the next section with your eyes closed. I dont bother with expensive glasses i dont see the point. Doesnt matter how expensive they are going to get scratched with all the mud and grit thrown about.
    I used these and change them as they get sratched cause scratched lenses are not good for your eyes either.
    http://www.bolle-safety.com/model/contour.
    Mine get donated by work but they are only 8quid a pair in screw fix

Junkyard
    Free Member

never ride without them lost the sigh tin one eye and contact in the other.
    not prepared to take the risk and even some grit can be pretty dangerous for me.
    used various kinds without issue

If using Bolle, I’d usually go for the Contours, but the Spiders are ok too

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just use some clear lens safety specs I got from work for nowt. The amount of time i’ve been whipped in the face by branches and foliage, splatted in the face by dust, grit, stones and mud and stuff getting getting kicked up when clattering down a hill i’m sure I would have lost an eye several times over without them. Safety specs are perfect. They’re lightweight, Polycarbonate lenses, modern ones look good and if you damage them or lose them, which I do all the time, they’ve not cost you anything and are easily replaceable. Also there is no visual distortion through the lenses – the last thing you want when you’re operating machinery or power tools.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Always
    Oakleys – Various.

Northwind

I do- Bolle BL10 safety glasses mostly. Don’t really like riding in sunglasses, very occasionally I do it in setting sun conditions but otherwise I prefer clear. Mostly it’s for the wind, I get runny eyes otherwise, but it’s good for mud etc too, and whippy branches.

And every so often, something like this happens- huck to eyeball at innerleithen:

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If going for the bolle would you recommend clear, esp or shaded?

Nevet worn them before but I do worry about my eyes.

Northwind

<double post>

breadcrumb

Yup, most of the time. Unless I forget. Mostly to stop my eyes watering on descents to be honest, but being able to see is a safety factor too.

MoseyMTB – Member

If going for the bolle would you recommend clear, esp or shaded?

Nevet worn them before but I do worry about my eyes.

esp ok for most daytime riding, clear for night

SiB
    Free Member

Wear them on commute just to stop eyes watering….maybe I’m going toooooo fast??

Tend to wear them on off road rides as a matter of habit from wearing them on commute, feel naked without them, but I’ve never really thought about wearing them for protection (apart from against the wind).

1 pair of blocs which have accompanied me down the Pacific Coast Highway, in French Alps and on every commute daily for last 3 years. Ran over them in car too…they have seen better days but too attached to them to change!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

esp ok for most daytime riding, clear for night

Brilliant, thanks.

amedias
    Free Member

Yep, spent a very uncomfortable couple of weeks recovering from getting a small shard of metal embedded in my cornea not all that long ago, flicked up from a wheel in front while I was commuting home.

A+E was the worst bit, having the nurse say ‘now stay still and try not to move your eye’ when she starts leaning towards you with a needle to, as she put it, ‘persuade it out’, unfortunately she wasn’t persuasive enough and I had to go back the following week for them to dig the last of it and a bit of rust out with some evil whizzy little brush contraption, Was. Not. Fun.

Always wear eye protection now, was pretty good at doing so before, just bloody annoying that one fo the few times I wasn’t was when it happened 🙁

Normally use cheap safety specs for commuting, bolle something or other, have a few pairs as prone to losing them, clear or slightly yellow lenses.

Also have some Arnette sunnies that I had some yellow lenses made up for after the originals met the end of their natural life and use those for racing.

mjsmke

Always wear some kind of eye protection. Normally wear contacts but due to recent problems i’ll be riding with normal glasses for a while.

core

I do most of the time, stops streaming eyes & the bugs & flies, have got some of the aldi specials – £5 with 3 lenses (clear, yellow & dark tint), have abused them pretty bad and not managed to break them, yellow lenses make you look a right tool, but good in overcast conditions.

sgn23
    Free Member

I used to when it got muddy, but since installing a Neoguard last year I haven’t felt the need.

cookeaa

Being spack-eyed and not keen on contacts I have to by default.

Fauxley jawbones with cheap prescription lenses.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I wear Bolle Axis – I started wearing them to stop my contacts drying out and then falling out, but they’ve saved my face from several branches over the last couple of years (sometimes you just don’t see branches especially in low light), so now I’d say they were ‘essentials’. Also useful on dig days when you are using a pick or a mattock.

The Axis are particularly good as the arms are adjustable… you can angle them up and rest them on the plastic part of the lid harness so they don’t press behind your ears. Keeps them on securely without any discomfort.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amedias, just reading that made me wince in pain! Ouch.

stumpy01

Got some Bloc that are heavily tinted and polarised. Normally too dark off road in changing conditions and the rims are a bit too thick on the road bike; they obscure quite a lot.

I’ve recently got some cheap Uvex glasses. SGL204 in clear for using on the road as I was getting concerned about the amount of grit and the number of insects ending up in my eyes.

So far so good.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Always; have a set of Uvex ones with interchangeable lenses. Clear and orange mostly for MTB, dark for sunny road rides. My favourite were some Merida blue ones given away at the MTB marathon a few years ago. Now broken sadly.

My cyclist optician (who should know better) had to have a month off when he got a metal shard in his eye whilst commuting – ouch! He now wears eye protection on the bike.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nope it feels crap. I sometimes wear goggles with my full face if its particularly dusty or muddy. I dont like the “disconnected” feeling you have with something in front of your eyes.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got about 7 pairs of fakelys from deal extreme – cost anywhere between £3 and £15. Normally wear the jawbones with yellow or mirrored lenses. Also got a pair of Specialized glasses and some others.

Commuting is pretty horrendous without them with all the diesel, pullution and dust. Wear them for mountain biking unless it’s dry. Road biking when it’s fast, windy or raining.

Bumble bee strikes scare the bejeesuz out of me.

Euro
    Free Member

Always for me. I wear glasses to see and the odd occasion i put in contacts in there’s generally goggles on top. Feels weird without some sort of protective layer and my specs have saved me from a few nasty eye injuries. I wouldn’t mind a prescription pair of cycle styled aerodynamicky glasses though. The wind blast with ordinary specs can be a nuisance.

Pridds

Contact wearer so always for me. Got a set of M frames with a clear lens and jawbones with transitions and that covers everything

supersaiyan
    Free Member

I commute in specs but MTB in contacts. No eyewear as I’ve never found a pair I got on with, but like OP I guess I should. How do you all keep them from fogging up when you’re sweating like a para in a spelling test? Don’t they wobble around a bit too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Eye protection. Do you?’ is closed to new replies.