Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 874 total)
  • Extreme heat warning doom
  • winston
    Free Member

My 15 yr old daughter has been given the choice of wearing her pe kit – scratchy thick man made fibre jersey style top and skort with rubbery undershort thingies or her normal uniform without the blazer but with the tie!

I get that the teachers cant do no uniform as half the kids will turn up looking like Vegas hookers but really – a tie!!!!

jamiemcf

Train lines don’t have expansion gaps anymore, they’re pretensioned and welded together.

It’s so the trains have a whiney whistle as they approach as opposed to clickaty clack.

Does mean The Devine Comedy’s National Express isn’t quite as accurate any more.

j4mie
    Free Member

Anyone saying it’ll “just be a bit warmer like a proper summer” is a complete cretin.

I massively struggled with living in my room oven last week when it was about 30C. I’ve been looking at the forecast for days wondering how I’ll cope. Being in the office is fine (too cold, even) but don’t think I’d cope with the 39C forecast. Luckily I’m heading to my parents in Fife where it’ll be 27C max on Tuesday. My manager had already rejected working from home on Monday (core day when everyone has to be in) and I had already decided to go before upper management told everyone to do what you have to do to cope. Bit of common sense at last.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LAT

Can’t help but think media are making a big deal of it unnecessarily

there was a heat dome over BC last summer. over 600 people died, 4 times the expected number of deaths for that time of year. it was over 40° foot several days in a row, but vulnerable folk will die.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

It might be 40′ but at least it’s not snowing.

Imagine shoveling snow in 40′ heat!

(Sorry)
    🌨️❄️🔥😁

LAT

tumbleweedemoji

sillysilly
    Free Member

Why don’t they just tell people to take electrolyte tablets and a few cold showers or is it something else causing the trouble?

theotherjonv

So by the end of next week hundreds or even thousands will have died because of the heatwave. Unless people listen to the advice and take things seriously, in which case they won’t and then the critics will be falling over themselves to say that we over reacted and it was just liberal wokeness or something?

anagallis_arvensis

Unless people listen to the advice

What is the advice, I’ll be at school trying not to melt, what can I do to help?

wheelsonfire1

Practical advice, the close the curtains, windows, keep the cool in, is good, here’s my contribution –
    If you’re going to squirt someone with a hosepipe make sure the water coming out of the end is cold. Hoses left in the sun get extremely hot and there was a case near us last year of someone getting extremely burnt (scalded) and very poorly.
    Also, the best way to cool someone down is not to douse them in water or chuck them in a pond. This makes blood vessels contract, and core organs bring blood back thinking the body is getting cold. This then raises the core temperature, which is what you’re trying to reduce.
    Put the persons hands and wrists in cool water and this has the effect desired, lowering the body core temperature. This worked best in my “career” even if it was tempting to get someone to blast you with a high pressure hose!
    I’m sure this advice is out there somewhere but all I’ve seen is red alert, stay indoors, check on your neighbours.
    Someone on here must have some more up to date advice?

theotherjonv

So will I (OK, in the office – we need to maintain enough managerial cover for safety and security reasons)

– drink plenty of cool water,

– wear lightweight clothing

– close windows and doors and curtains / blinds particularly on south facing elevations

– run wrists under a cool tap when you can

wheelsonfire1

Will you?!!, only you can answer that question, I’ll also run my wrists under cool water if you need me to..

anagallis_arvensis

I’m sure this advice is out there somewhere but all I’ve seen is red alert, stay indoors,

Does this include staying indoors in a very poorly ventilated room with 30 sweaty teenagers? After I have ridden to work of course!

frankconway

Leave windows fully open at night, if safe to do so, to allow rooms to cool.
    In morning close windows, drop/draw blinds, close curtains.
    Mid evening open windows, blinds, curtains.
    Repeat for as long as necessary.
    Drink more water than alcohol; difficult for some.
    Cool showers/baths.
    Drink lots of tea – helps with sweating.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’d think an MTB club in SW France would be wised up on heat stroke. Well we all failed to recognise the symptoms recently. It was “warm” out but nothing unusual. One guy started lagging and felt crap so decided to go home. Another on an e-bike offered him a push so off they went. At home he felt really crap so took himself to hospital – heatstroke.

Thing is that he never felt thirsty or even hot, just crap.

reeksy

I lived in Melbourne during the heatwave that led to the Black Saturday fires in 2009. In the city all the leaves fell from the trees that morning as temperatures nudged 50.

We lived in a small flat with A/C, so kept a bath of cold water full and would sit in that when it got too much and then just drip dry.

Wearing a wet tshirt to bed was another thing.

In Queensland now we keep ice packs in the freezer. My kids regularly take them to bed as pillows/cold water bottles.

When my wife was in labour with the second child it was mid 40s and I was following her around the house with ice packs and a fan. She hates hospitals so was trying desperately to avoid going until the last possible moment.

theotherjonv

Does this include staying indoors in a very poorly ventilated room with 30 sweaty teenagers?

Tricky one that. The advice is to reverse the normal winter advice of keeping windows and doors closed to keep heat in – keep them closed to keep the heat out now. And embrace the fumes of the teenagers.

I’m also of course aware that ventilating is on the anti-covid advice….. but I guess heatstroke is an immediate ‘kills in hours’ risk at this point.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m also of course aware that ventilating is on the anti-covid advice….. but I guess heatstroke is an immediate ‘kills in hours’ risk at this point.

Luckily for me I had my second dose of COVID 2 weeks ago so should be ok for next week!

dissonance

but I guess heatstroke is an immediate ‘kills in hours’ risk at this point.

What about excessive exposure to lynx body spray?
    More seriously arent some schools considering closing Mon/Tues?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

at the ex-mrs already covid postponed graduation on Monday, ffs

dirtyrider
    Free Member

More seriously arent some schools considering closing Mon/Tues?

term ends Thursday, may as well just shut it down, but at least give notice, I’ve already taken Tuesday off in anticipation, dis back down to 22ish on wednesday, but what are they doing a day out from summer hols? watching films etc, just childcare at this point of the year

MrOvershoot

Great so now I’m in a 39degC area. I’m built for cold this is not funny 🙁

Northwind

I was thinking 34, that’s a bit warm for my scottish blood, but if I go just up the road it’s 21. But then I realised, that’s the sea.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

was at spurn point today at 4, and it appears to have an 18 degree swing to anywhere inland, lets all go

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone care to explain why its peaking in a 25 mile inland diameter of York/Lincoln?

scotroutes
    scotroutes

Edited

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ahhh so the offshore wind cooling has gone,

scotroutes

Aye – and the warm air is crossing over the warm south

dirtyrider
    Free Member

obsessed by that website now

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I know it’s a freak occurrence, but we got the tidal surge a few years ago too, temp literally peaks in my back yard before the wind off the humber stunts it going north

matt_outandabout

The other tip is to try and cover south facing windows, outside, like the European blinds. This is even better than closed curtains or blinds inside.
    Hanging a towel, sheet or cardboard on the window (etc)

theotherjonv

term ends Thursday, may as well just shut it down, but at least give notice, I’ve already taken Tuesday off in anticipation, dis back down to 22ish on wednesday, but what are they doing a day out from summer hols? watching films etc, just childcare at this point of the year

In the vipers nest that is the school parents FB page…… one load of posts complaining that the kids have to go in, another load complaining that if the school closes then parents are supposed to be at work and will need to organise childcare. To summarise

IT’S ALL THE SCHOOL’S FAULT, WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Yak

Schools are shut here Mon/Tues with a nominal amount of work set on google classroom. Fair enough.

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks qwert, I’m going to open all the windows over Monday night and hope someone breaks in and burns the place down!! FFS that is hardly advice is it!!

Schools are shut here Mon/Tues

Sensible, and called early, even better. West Berkshire heads have a zoom meeting this afternoon which seems far too late to actually do much, I am more than happy to go in but think a day in blistering classrooms followed by kids going home in the hottest part of the day is not a good idea and would seem to be against the government advice.

anagallis_arvensis

In the vipers nest that is the school parents FB page…… one load of posts complaining that the kids have to go in, another load complaining that if the school closes then parents are supposed to be at work and will need to organise childcare.

Indeed, parents are a nightmare!!
    I don’t see why any school couldn’t suggest kids stay home but have teachers in to supervise kids who can’t stay home.

molgrips
    Free Member

obsessed by that website now

theweatheroutlook.com – go to the ‘buzz’ section to check the blog. It’s very informative and helps you understand the charts that you can get on there and how weather forecasting is actully done. There’s usually a flurry of posts in advance of possible weather events but not so much this time. He does go in holiday from time to time so maybe that’s it 🙂

scotroutes

Another weather blog about the next few days. Worth reading, especially for the outdoorsy types.

https://www.mwis.org.uk/blog/post/summit-heat-dry-air

martinhutch

Reading the MWIS blog, are we really going to experience ‘dry heat’ rather than our usual humid heat? That wouldn’t be quite as awful. I’ll take 35 dry rather than 28 soggy.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.