Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Extract rp23 from Canyon Strive?
  • crundi
    Free Member

The top eye has Allen key slots, the bottom looks like a steel tube. How do I take the shock out for a service?

crundi
    Free Member

Do I just un-screw the adjoining pinch bolts and poke the steel tube through the eye of the shock? I understand they’re ‘needle bearings’ am I being over cautious with all my questions?

Twin
    Free Member

You’ve got it. Undo and poke through is the solution.

crundi
    Free Member

Thanks Twin, I presume all the needles won’t fall out?

DeeW
    Free Member

The needle rollers should stay put if you are careful: they will be stuck in with whatever grease is in there.

While you are at it, you might want to check all your pivot bearings. I’ve had my Strive since July last year (though it was an ‘ex-demo’), and one of the bearings on the rocker, and one of the main pivot bearings were completely shot.

crundi
    Free Member

Thanks DeeW, sorry to ask but what exactly should I be looking for?…. movement in the linkage or just grinding pivot noises?

marco
    Free Member

I have just had to replace all the bearings (10) on my strive. Had it 18 months so not too bad.
    Word of warning though: keep an eye out for the washers. One on either side of each bearing, lost around 4/5 whilst rushing and still slight movement in swingarm

crundi
    Free Member

Did you get the bearings from canyon?

marco
    Free Member

I got them locally (Spen bearings in halifax)
    Quoted £60 plus £10 postage from Canyon
    Paid around £40 here

crundi
    Free Member

After 2 months I’m back… Right, I’ve completely unscrewed the top Allen key, the nuts off but the shocks not budging. Do I just knock the bolt out with hammer and screwdriver? Thanks in advance.

b45her
    Free Member

to be honest crundi if your mechanically inept enough to be unsure how to remove a shock it’s probably best you get a shop to take care of it for you.

crundi
    Free Member

True I’m no Greace Monkey, but to be fair – none of the how-to videos appear to resemble what I am dealing with on the Canyon Strive. I always try to learn how to do things and ask politely for advice before sending it to a bike shop.

crundi
    Free Member

All sorted. To anyone with a Strive that needs to extract their shock, ‘tap’ the bolts out of both upper and lower outlets (I just used the end of an Allen key to punch it through). WD40 helps too. Cheers

theblackmount
    Free Member

Err to anyone with a Strive that needs to do likewise – the shock and pivot fasteners are all alu. Well worth checking they are all properly greased and will come undone ok. I have one where the top shock bolt is seized solid – I’ve rounded out the cap bolt trying to undo it. Probably due to lack of grease / alu oxidisation.

I should add that Canyon have been very helpful and are sending out a replacement kit. Careful drilling here we come….

Pukeko
    Free Member

theblackmount, so you recommend remove and check / grease all fastners? prob good tip. will check. cheers

theblackmount
    Free Member

Probably just unlucky / a one off. However alu is much softer obviously than HT steel / SS so very much easier to round out Allen bolts if they are over tightened or seized.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Extract rp23 from Canyon Strive?’ is closed to new replies.