Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Extra work for nothing
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So Recently i have been given more work load than my colligues that are at the same level, i have been getting managment jobs that are above my station.

I don’t mind this as i see it as preparation for the next step. However the last few weeks It has got a little over the top i have been doing managment jobs that the people above me should be doing, (in there contract not mine) even though they are at work but doing the work that the lower staff are ment to be doing instead, and there noteven doing that well. they are getting paid alot more than me for this.

I Finaly lost it when i was blaimed for an order that i had signed in but not made today and asked for a meeting with the people involved and the manager, he was not to happy with them.

and informed me the promotion i was working for and doing this extra work for (iwas told about in november) had been prosponed till june due to new starter training,this is the third time this has happened.

What should my next step be,

Do i keep doing the extra work for less money?

Do i Ask for a contract to be writing up on when this is going to happen?

Or do i simply go back to doing my own job well and Cut back the upper Management jobs, and get the pressure put back on them in hope that it makes them realis that promotion is essential for work load. (which it is by company policy for management to staff team sizes).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

improve your writing skills?

yossarian
    Free Member

Keep doing the work, it’s all good on your cv
    Look for another job
    Start a campaign of minor disruption in the office that can’t be traced to you

seba560
    Free Member

I Finaly lost it when i was blaimed for an order that i had signed in but not made today and asked for a meeting with the people involved and the manager, he was not to happy with them.

Learn not to lose it when things go pear shaped, it was part of your training/testing and you failed.
    And what TurnerGuy said.

Junkyard
    Free Member

employers are not your friends and they wll exploit you any time they can – its just what degree they are willing to do this

i doubt very much its impossible for them to promote you as promised so how many times do they need to break their word till you only do what you are paid to do

If it was me i would get the promotion in writing ask fo r 50% of what you are on now and what you will be on and still not believe them that it will happen

Work for free – will they pay me for staying at home ?

nealglover
    Free Member

If you do start enquiring, and use any written correspondence regarding the situation, learn how to spell colleagues 😉

It may weaken your position otherwise 🙂

(Sorry IGMC)

Rscott
    Free Member

You are correct on the spelling and grammar front, never been my strong point. However i will try my best from now on.

Luckily It isn’t part of my Job or the next position up.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

However i will try my best from now on.

Capitalisation…

project
    Free Member

So Recently i have been given more work load than my colligues that are at the same level, i have been getting managment jobs that are above my station.

I don’t mind this as i see it as preparation for the next step. However the last few weeks It has got a little over the top i have been doing managment jobs that the people above me should be doing, (in there contract not mine) even though they are at work but doing the work that the lower staff are ment to be doing instead, and there noteven doing that well. they are getting paid alot more than me for this.

and informed me the promotion i was working for and doing this extra work for (iwas told about in november) had been prosponed till june due to new starter training,this is the third time this has happened.

What should my next step be,

Do i keep doing the extra work for less money?

Look in the miror and see if you can see MUG written accross your forehead,been there and been treated like a mug, all worthless promises,if the comapny fails, just think of the cash theyre saving not promoting you ,but geting you do extra work for a promotion that only exists on paper.

Welcome to the real world of work.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    improve your writing skills?

He was asking about job advice not spelling & grammar ffs,

You need to make it clear that your happy to do the work above your pay scale as long as the remuneration is correct.

Northwind

I spent a year doing jobs above my level, then an annual appraisal rolled around in which I was criticised for not doing enough stuff above my level, but also criticised for not doing as much stuff at my level as my colleagues did, despite spending a third of my time elsewhere. Had to laugh really. So I stopped doing that stuff and my manager ended up going off sick as she couldn’t do her job without the support. Some employers are eejits.

Liftman

Dirty protest, you know it’s the only way 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Belt and braces:

i) cover your arse to the max, so that everything you do over the next few months is by the book perfect
    ii) set your boss up into the position whereby something he was expecting you to do, that he should have done himself, blows up in his face big time, and you can’t be blamed for it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have a good think about what workload is sustainable and learn to politely say no sometimes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He was asking about job advice not spelling & grammar ffs,

maybe he was kept out of the upper management levels because of his poor writing skills?

Kryton57

I’m about to move to a job commensurate with my level instead of being bored. More unfortunately during the Transfer process a pay rise has been denied.

So ill be busier and less bored, doing more for the same cash. However I am being mentored for some new skills which with give me a highly sought after CV. When I’ve done that ill have negotiating power in this company or another – so I see the opportunity as that.

Above all I’ve made that clear to my new boss ie – in year 2 if I’m proving a success w’ell be talking, or I’ll feel free to wave my CV about. He is accepting of that.

Do that politely and honestly I. Non threatening way. Ie thanks for educating me, but when I’m proven, pay me.

smell_it
    Free Member

In a rather shocking chain of events; i was once in a job and took on aspects of the job above me when colleagues wouldn’t. After about 9 months a senior position came up, i applied along with colleagues and external candidates, and got the job. Obviously, this could have been a total coincidence, but it has now happened very similarly for me in subsequent job moves with several different employers. I’m currently on track to ditch working for the ‘man’ before I’m 45, and will just do a few side interests i’ve got on the go.

Junkyard
    Free Member

maybe he was kept out of the upper management levels because of his poor writing skills?

There are times to take the piss and times to be supportive or helpful

I wish you luck learning which is which.

Bregante

Do you work at UK bikestore?

Jamie
    Free Member

*ahem*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Suck it up.

If it’s that bad get the promotion elsewhere.

Rscott
    Free Member

TurnerGuy I take your point and said I would try from now on, That does not mean it will be perfect. It means exactly what the word try means.

Bregante I don’t work for Uk Bike Store

Some interesting Idea’s I would be more than happy to do the work and take full responsibility for the work without a pay rise, the issue is the contract, the Job description and compulsory training that comes with this, that I am not currently getting, yet being expected to do the samework.

CountZero

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

compulsory training that comes with this, that I am not currently getting, yet being expected to do the samework.

Oh, I do pray that you’ve gone to made sure that your requests for this training are on email, pointing out repeatedly to your boss that you’ve not had the compulsory training.

CYA!

Rscott
    Free Member

Zulu I have requested this several times and made sure it has been recorded, I also will always get a upper management member to sign off my work, so it cannot back fire on me, But it would be nice to get the credit myself.

But well pointed out I had never thought that that could back fire on me.

dannyh
    Free Member

employers are not your friends and they wll exploit you any time they can

Wow! I bet you’re a real joy to have as a colleague. You are quite right that employment is not a friendship, but nor does it have to be an endless battle between the perceived oppressor and their serfs.

How about the happy medium where you work conscientiously and hard, perhaps going the extra mile quite often, and take home your pay and be satisfied that you have learnt it? I have been working my ass off for about 8 solid months, but so has everyone in my team. We have all had a moan at some point, and there have been a couple of bust ups, but we all still get on due to common purpose.

Am I a mug? Maybe, but I don’t allow myself to be held back by a monumental chip on my shoulder.

If you don’t like your employer, then leave and work for someone else.

richmars

What dannyh says.
    I feel sorry for some of you that hate work so much.
    I’m happy to work longer hours because I enjoy my work and like the people I work with and for, and I want the company (and therefore me) to do well.
    You’ve got to work for, say, 50 years. If you don’t enjoy it, move on.

walla24
    Free Member

set your boss up into the position whereby something he was expecting you to do, that he should have done himself, blows up in his face big time, and you can’t be blamed for it.

THIS!

troglodyte
    Free Member

Improve your pedantry so you can be like other thrusting executives in this thread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I feel sorry for some of you that hate work so much.
    I’m happy to work longer hours because I enjoy my work and like the people I work with and for

I like my friends and family more than my colleagues and hobbies more than my work.

Each to their own though.

richmars

I like my friends and family more than my colleagues and hobbies more than my work.

So do I, but they don’t pay the bills. Like most things, it’s a balance.
    A few minutes, or even hours, a week, is, I think, worth it, so I can do a better job. Not only for the evil company, but for my own satisfaction.

But each to their own.

officialtob
    Free Member

Improve your pedantry so you can be like other thrusting wannabe executives in this thread.

FTFY

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

employers are not your friends and they wll exploit you any time they can

but it is often not just your employers but work colleagues or managers trying to gain a political advantage, or just plain exploiting you to get as much work as they can because they don’t really care if you leave in the future, just that you are working your ass off now. Anybody who thinks otherwise is naive.

Get it in writing when the promotion is going to happen, and keep doing the extra work until then.

The extra work is all experience of those management tasks, so if the promotion doesn’t come and you decide to move on then you will still have all that experience under your belt, which is worth something, rather than the nothing of just doing your normal job.

shortcut

Love this thread – some observations.

Turnerguy has made some good points. Not in the most subtle manner perhaps but certainly good points.

As to getting it in writing – the easy/best way to do this is to drop your chief an email outlining your understanding of what you need to achieve to get promotion and when this will happen – ask for confirmation of this understanding. Boss needs to send a 3 letter email “Yes” to confirm so easy and he will!

If you are sending anything important and want to make a good impression write it in word, usual spelling and grammar check! Then copy and paste once correct.

HTH and stick at it.

andyrm
    Free Member

As has been posted on here, I have risen through the ranks quickly in all my jobs as a direct result of taking on extra responsibility, showing enthusiasm and being visibly keen to get on.

Employment and work doesn’t need to be a battle between boss and employee – and if the employee has that mindset, they need to get out of the 1970s.

The way I would suggest you handle this to maximise your advantage is as follows:

Sit down with your boss, say that you are really enjoying taking the extra responsibility and opportunity to develop yourself within the business. Explain that you are committed to being with them for the long term and want to get ahead in the business and be as useful to them as possible. To enable you to progress, develop and ultimately add more value to the business, you want some training or mentoring, and some kind of review process so you can monitor progress.

Bear in mind that you might not be able to get more money at the moment, times are hard and the company might not have the funds to increase wage costs. But if you make yourself more valuable to the company, there will come a time when you are rewarded.

I think it’s very sad that this country has such a “not my job” culture, where people don’t want to work hard and get ahead unless they are specifically told (and paid) to do it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Learn to capitalise yourself if you are to criticise others, otherwise you make yourself look like a tool…

wrecker
    Free Member

Isn’t “tool” a noun when used as an insult? 😀

bland

What exactly do you do if its a “management job to sign for parcels?”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Learn to capitalise

why have you used a capital L, as you are not starting a sentence at that point?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why have you used a capital L, as you are not starting a sentence at that point?

Two points
    1. You have not capitalised your sentence

2. Why have you capitalised your l, as you are not starting a sentence

I think you will get away with the edinburgh defence here 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Extra work for nothing’ is closed to new replies.