Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • External web cam on a tripod for Teams
  • oldtennisshoes

Any thoughts on external web cams. Mrs OTS wants one to put on a tripod for some training she’s doing.
    Logitech looks like the default answer, but anything else to consider?
    Probably going to be Windows 10 on a Surface Pro if that makes a difference?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah the Logitech cams are generally OK and cheap enough. Assuming she’s delivering the training (not just attending an online course) is she using an external mic as well? Something like a Blue Yeti would be a lot better than any built-in mic on a device (Surface or web-cam). A lot of streamers use ring lights these days to even up the lighting on the face, might be overkill just for someone running training sessions though

richardk
    Free Member

Using a seperate webcam will give you more control over angles, lighting, backgrounds (real ones,not virtual) etc, so they are well worth it.  I’m running a Poly EagleEye mini that’s usually perched on a monitor, but occasionally gets moved to a tripod for webinar presenting.  All the major packages like Teams, Zoom, Webex pick it up without any issues.

Get it positioned so that the presenters top half and hands can be seen by attendees, as this is more natural than just seeing the head.  And don’t forget to sort out audio as well – discrete headset like Poly Voyager 5200 – as you may be further away from the laptop mic and speakers

DrP

I’ve got a logitech streamcam … reduced to £105 now..I paid a bit more.

MUCH better than the built in webcam, and this one is actually screw thread (i.e tripod) mountable as well.

DrP

BigJohn

The good thing about the camera at the top of the laptop screen is that you appear to be looking at the camera when you’re looking at whatever is on the screen.
    One of the YouTube carpentry channels that I watch is Freebird Interiors. The presenter clearly has his notes or image on a tablet to the left of the camera and he’s looking at it while filming himself. He looks dead shifty! I filmed myself playing guitar and singing with the camera on a tripod to the side of the page of music. That looked wrong too.
    Another carpentry channel, Rag ‘n’ Bone Brown, reads from a script so he’s rigged up an autocue which projects his words onto a piece of glass in front of the camera. His voice is wooden but it looks OK!

DrP

However…. a negative is that mostlaptop screents aren’t high enough to have a camera at a decent angle…so you just get a fisheye view of whoever’s nostrils or chin (as i found on my speed awareness course!!!)…

DrP

shuhockey
    Free Member

If you have a normal camera you maybe able to get this working as a webcam. I’ve managed getting my Sony rx100 working as one. You can also use some free software to do overlays ect….

susepic

Problem with some webcams is that you have very little flexibity to zoom in and out and control field of view. I have a lenovo which is great quality but it shows almost the whole office.
    If Mrs OTS is going to be doing lots, than Canon have some software to allow their coolpix and DSLRs to be used as webcams, which has the advantage that they will have a tripod mount.
    For audio a bluetooth earpiece like plantronics is an unobtrusive way to get great sound with teams and zoom etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Got an old phone?

I use an old g5 as a wireless camera, great picture. Really flexible too.

Cougar

If you have a normal camera you maybe able to get this working as a webcam.

Holy crap. You aren’t wrong. Canon dSLR webcam software now installing…

scuttler

Impressed da Cougar. Have a *

TiRed

I have an old cheap Logitech. on top of the monitor is a much better look. If not, place a laptop on either a stand, or a pile of books. Angle makes a HUGE difference. Resolution probably less so.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all. Logitech C925e is on its way!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘External web cam on a tripod for Teams’ is closed to new replies.