Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Exterior woodwork – filling small cracks?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

The exterior woodwork on the house is the next job on the DIY list. I last did it 7 years ago, just after we’d moved in – stripped back to bare (100+ years of paint) and started again. Used Sadolin Superdec, which has survived pretty well – although abraded back a bit as the front of the house is pretty exposed to the prevailing wind.

There’s a bunch of smallish cracks – mostly joints – that have opened up a bit. We’re talking 1mm wide, max, which I’ll struggle to fill reliably using normal woodfiller – especially on the external corners. I could just fill them with paint, but any better options? Something a bit goopy and sticky like No More Nails, Gripfill or similar that I can inject into the gap?

Thanks!

slackalice
    Free Member

You could use an exterior caulk, or 2-pack filler. Squish both in with a flexible filling blade/knife and either wipe or sand away the excess once cured.

mudfish

Grifill,
    no, I think it’s a bodge
    Good decorators I know use either the Ronseal 2 pack exterior wood filler, or 2 pack car filler (cheaper). Of course make sure its well scraped out and properly dry.
    I used some 2 pack epoxy on failing window frames 20 years ago on a house I previously occupied, it seems to be still doing the job, it’s far “better” than wood ;~}

kayak23

Yeah Ronseal Tupac filler, or a bit leftfield, but Milliput epoxy putty.

matt_outandabout

Ronseal Tupac filler

Works well on benches I hear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not so well on the east side either.

alexpalacefan

Another vote for car body 2 pack.
    APF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Exterior woodwork – filling small cracks?’ is closed to new replies.