Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Extending wireless network by bridging two wireles routers….?
  • Olly
    Free Member

the network wifi, at the house im living in, doesnt quite reach my room, due to the thick stone walls.

i have a spare router, and a friend of mine seems to think i can use this second router as a “bridge” or, i suppose a “two way repeater”

are there any IT bods around here who can point me in a more definative direction as to what im doing?

many spanks team

IA

Google “bridge” and the model of your spare router, or – shock horror – read its manual! (probably find it online).

samuri
    Free Member

not all home routers bridge, as IA has pointed out, it’s RTFM time.

amosridl
    Free Member

Your looking for something called WDS.

If they have this then it should be okay.

You should also look itno the Apple Airport express which can work as a wifi extender and remote speaker connection, printer server amongst other things.

Spongebob
    Free Member

If you set the wifi router to bridge mode, it won’t be available for wifi connections from a PC. i.e the two routers talk only to each other. You can only connect via ethernet port.

What you have to do is run an ethernet cable from the master wifi router on one of the ethernet ports to the slave wifi router. The master will be your original router.

You then set up the slave with a different SSID. Then on your laptop(s)/wifi devices, add to your saved networks the secondary network settings.

beanum

If you can’t physically run a cable between the two you could try a Powerline Ethernet setup. It uses your domestic wiring to pass the network signal. I’ve used it and it works really well. If you put the receiver in your room, you could just plug your PC into it, rather than mess around configuring the second access point..

They’re not cheap though..
    Powerline Ethernet

coffeeking
    Free Member

Should you not be able to link the two routers by cable, then set it to relay the DHCP server address of the other router? I can do that with my wireless and wired routers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Extending wireless network by bridging two wireles routers….?’ is closed to new replies.