Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Extending Ethernet/WiFi
  • petefromearth

Hi all

Hoping there’s a networking wizard on here…

Looking to extend the Ethernet and WiFi for my business.

We have just taken on the property next door, but since the walls are very thick, the is no WiFi signal in there from the router.

Our office is going to be in the new bit, so we need to have a good reliable connection (Ethernet and WiFi).

If I were to run an Ethernet cable all the way from the router to the new office it would need to be about 50m long. It’s doable but then I don’t know what we would use at the other end to extend the WiFi.

I know there are those devices that run via the ring main available in maplin etc however the other property will be on a separate fuseboard. Not sure whether these are suitable in this situation or reliable enough for day to day business.

Recommendations for the easiest, most reliable option? Loaf of bread for the winner 😉

Thanks in advance… 🙂

martinhutch

You can run the ethernet cable then use a second router as a wifi extender/access point.

somouk
    Free Member

Ethernet has about a 100m limit so 50m is fine. Run a cable over to another switch then install a wireless access point off that.

You don’t want a wireless ‘router’ as such, just an access point.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Assuming you’re on the same electrical supply.. by far the easiest setup is one of these kits.. pretty much plug n play.

TP Link

phil5556

Run the cable and get a wireless access point. (For a while I used an old router which was fine-ish).

For some reason the WiFi in my house doesn’t reach from one end to the other, it’s not a very big house, so we have to have an extra access point.

It works really well usually, although it’s playing up a bit at the moment and I haven’t looked in to why yet.

petefromearth

Cheers for the replies

Will look into access points. Are there different sorts or ones that are more idiot-proof or reliable than others?

Also am I cat5e or cat6? Never been a cat person myself! 😀

(Just making clear my level of IT skilz)

gray

Any old WiFi modem/router can usually be used as an access point / router at the end of an ethernet cable by the way – plenty of people have spares knocking about so you might it even need to buy anything.

Depending on how big the new area is, you could even get a mesh setup like BT Whole Home (currently only £100 for a two unit setup) for the new area.

handyman153
    Free Member

As above really, I would run a cable and then switch it out however you needed.

With regards to Cat5 or 6, I would go with 6.
    Chances are you current set-up wont take advantage of the extra cat, but it would be future proof.

I’ve just taken out a load of 50m Cat 6 cables from a install, fire me an email if you want to go down that route and i’ll get you one in the post!

After the cable, a simple router, but try to make sure its rated 10/100/1000 otherwise you may get bottlenecks down the line.

Then depending on how many people will use the Wifi, something like THIS would work perfectly well, and its not expensive!

somouk
    Free Member

If you’re in the Midlands or near, drop me a PM and I’d be happy to help out running the cable and setting up the kit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

With regards to Cat5 or 6, I would go with 6.
    Chances are you current set-up wont take advantage of the extra cat, but it would be future proof.

I think people have been saying this for close to ten years now and it is still utter nonsense.

Cat6 has to be installed with the right terminations, shielding, lack of kinks etc. otherwise it is just very expensive Cat5e. If you don’t know what Cat6 is and what it does then chances are you will never need it. And I sincerely doubt that anyone planning on bunging a WiFi access point on the end ever will need it.

jb72
    Free Member

Without a doubt – run the cable.

Cable is unimportant … use whatever you have. Cat 5e is easier to work with.

You can get an Access Point for very little and they’re easy to setup. Job done.

handyman153
    Free Member

Squirrelking –

You’ve maybe taken what I said in the wrong way, as you have basically typed exactly what I meant!
    I however truley believe that Cat6 will start to float down into more ‘home’ use systems, so my point of view is if your running a ‘long’ cable, you may as well run the best you can at the time.

Anyway!
    Similar to somouk, if you are anywhere around Peterborough way, I’d gladly give you a hand too.
    I’m also more than happy to send you over the kit you’d need FOC (ish). It would obviously be used, and I’d really appreciate some form of donation to either the Ride for Charlie charity, or the Dibbs just giving page.

Just an offer, fire me an email if I can help out!

ajaj
    Free Member

I sincerely doubt that anyone planning on bunging a WiFi access point on the end ever will need it.

As an aside, the new airliners run their WiFi access points off 10gbase-t over cat6a. The weight saved by needing fewer cable runs is apparently worth it.

Also worth mentioning that the quoted cable lengths are for solid core cables not stranded and you’ll need some spare from your 100m budget for the patch cables and connectors. cat5e also has a minimum bend radius (same as cat6, I think), not that you’d notice from most installs.

petefromearth

Thank you guys, very helpful indeed

Handyman I’ll see how I get on and may take you up on the offer 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Extending Ethernet/WiFi’ is closed to new replies.