Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Extending a slot in Titanium plate
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve a Ti frame SS that I love, but need to shorten the chainstay to get an optimum SS ratio by extending the slot in the horizontal dropouts by approx 5mm. There is plenty of material there, the dropouts are approx 5mm thick. What is my best method for doing it – a hand file and take my time, or something else?
    Ta.
    p.s. I don’t want arguments about whether it’s a good idea – just the best / easiest way to do it.

scotroutes

Yep – a hand file file do it.

househusband

Titanium galls so use talcum powder on the file and use a file card, or wire brush, regularly.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips.

argee

As per the file, just make sure it’s a new one, or not been used on other materials prior, always find a round file good for this stuff and not too rough, titanium takes time unfortunately, used to get to work on it as an apprentice, lots of time with files, sandpaper and abrasive stones.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Any guidance on what grade / coarseness of file to use?

dyna-ti

Bastard

tthew

Bastard

Perfect. 🤣

TiRed

Can I ask why you can’t add a link and move the wheel backwards? And horizontal dropouts should accommodate this.

Merak

I once drilled through a 1.5cm titanium cube, What an enjoyable 1.5 hours that was!🤗

JAG

Bear in mind that Titanium alloys ‘work harden’ very easily.

That means the material on the surface becomes harder as you file it.

So work slow and steady and if the rate of metal removal slows down – it’s work hardened. Which means that you’re quite likely going to destroy that nice sharp file while getting the job done.

spooky_b329

I can’t help than think that you are going to end up with a slot that gets wider or wanders off to the side by hand filing…

jezzasnr

I’d be looking for the nearest engineering workshop.
    It’s a pretty straightforward job for them and I’m fairly sure you’ll be happier with the end result.

Brainflex

half link in the chain would be easier.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.