Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Extended reach hedge trimmers….
  • Davesport

I’ve got some substantial hedges round my property that need cutting once a year. They’re big enough to require me to put a scaffolding up to get access to the top and the top part of the sides. The’re six feet across the top in places and it’s lot of graft setting up and moving the scaffolding. I’d be able to get most of it cut with an extended reach pole hedge cutter without the scaffolding.

I’ve got a Stihl dealer nearby and I’ve got other Stihl tools but they’re not the cheapest. Makita also do a small four stroke pole trimmer which is a re-branded Dolmar. It’s half the price of the Stihl which obviously makes it attractive.

Anyone got real life experience of using one of these ?

TIA Dave.

sarawak
    Free Member

https://www.lawnmowers-uk.co.uk/shindaiwa-ah243s-lw-articulating-long-reach-hedgetrimmer?wgu=4583_216402_15610533903793_0c92bae6e1&wgexpiry=1568829390&source=webgains&siteid=216402

I use one of these. Yamaha engine and bomb proof. Split boom so other attachments can he used. I have a long reach chainsaw and strimmer with mine.
    Not sure what your budget is but mine has been going for 20 years and never missed a beat. Buy cheap,buy twice!!!

Davesport

@Sarawak Ta. Budgeting for Stihl hence my interest in the Makita (or anything else) as I could buy two of them.

sarawak
    Free Member

Sorry. I read it that you were looking for cheaper then Stihl.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

How about stilts?

STWer about to start some light pruning

CheesybeanZ

Get someone in to do it for you .

Davesport

Haha….stilts :o) A mate who should have known better sent me a picture of him cutting his hedge. Dining table strapped to the roof of his van with him standing on top of the table, wife driving the van \o/

Cheesy. You don’t know me obvs. I’d rather cut it with nail clippers than pay someone else to do a job i could do meself :o)

Houns

I’ve used Stihl, Echo and Hursq, I’d go Stihl every time. Better made, less vibration and just feel solid. Obviously at a price

Davesport

Ta, I’m going looking today.

sands
    Free Member

Davesport Subscriber
    Anyone got real life experience of using one of these ?

I was using a Makita MM4 yesterday (EX2650LH ‘split shaft’ motor plus 196256-2 Hedge Trimmer). Starts easily, operates any way up, cuts well, good angle adjustment on cutter. I bought this as a special-offer with a brush cutter head as well.

Whatever you buy, my personal recommendation is that you also consider one of the aluminium back frame supports. I use the Stihl RTS harness, which works with both the pole trimmer and the brush cutter. The ‘proper’ tree people seem to like higher ones though.

Davesport

@Sands….Thank you. Will check it out :o)

myti
    Free Member

Get the sthil hla 65 long reach battery hedge trimmer. I use it daily for pro use and it’s excellent. Really light and gives a good cut. Had mine over a year and it’s going strong.

welshfarmer

Davesport

Hmm, hadn’t thought about the battery powered version. I’ll have a look..cheers.

I don’t have a ride-on or I might have given that a go \o/

devbrix
    Free Member

Same problem here for years. 16’ beech and yew hedges with similar width which I replaced some brutal overgrown conifer hedges with a few years back. I use one of these for the top and upper few feet rather than scaffolding. They are light and really sturdy and quick to move https://www.henchman.co.uk/products/platform-tripod-ladders.html and then use an electric long hedge trimmer, pole trimmer, pole chainsaw (for the every four years or so for a harder cut back of the beech) and a long pole lopper. I’ve tried petrol but more knackering to use due to the weight and tricky to use up a ladder and I like the fact that electric is ready to go and you can leave on the top of the hedge as you move the ladder.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Extended reach hedge trimmers….’ is closed to new replies.