• This topic has 27 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by hazmo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • EXT Era Fork
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone using the Ext Era?
    How long you had it?
    Any thoughts on setup?
    Ease of lower leg servicing?
    Any problems?

tomhoward

Yep.
    Couple of months.
    Was set up by mojo, it’s insane.
    No idea.
    No.

singlespeedstu

Setting them up is insane?
    Can’t be that difficult. 😉

Ooohh edited there I see

tomhoward

Stealth edit. The performance is insane

singlespeedstu

I get that Tom.

chrishc777
    Free Member

As is the price!

Finally between Yeti Turq, Cane Creek eewings and this fork it is possible to spend £15k building a mountain bike

That is not a complaint, this is what allows the rest of us to get excellent kit down at lower spec

@tomhoward
    , I know it’s hard to explain but what exactly makes them ‘insane’? Can you compare any specific characteristic to a Lyrik or 36 for us poor plebs? 🧐

My old 350NCR for example was waaaay better than same era Pikes on small bump stuff, eliminated arm pump. But that was it, comparable on all else not ‘insane’

singlespeedstu

it is possible to spend £15k building a mountain bike

I have the option of the Era as an upgrade on a new bike that makes it a quite attractive proposition that’ll be no where near that price.

tomhoward

The small bump compliance, compared to the factory 36s they replaced, is staggering, whilst holding up to much bigger hits very well. It’s super smooth, and while it obviously does ramp up, it’s not really noticeable, and feels very linear in operation. Really does feel bottomless.

chrishc777
    Free Member

If I could get a deal on a set of Eras I would not be asking on here, I’d be too busy biting that hand off

If you don’t like them I’ll swap you them for my Pikes, I’ll even give them a fresh service first 🤣

Sounds good tomhoward, kinda what I was expecting. Coil like is what I’ve heard but I suppose you need to try them to get it fully

singlespeedstu

If you don’t like them I’ll swap you them for my Pikes,

In your dreams mate.😂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, for about 5 months now.

I would say they feel as good as a very well set up set of 36’s (properly honed bushes, custom shim stack etc), on a par with my also very well set set up RXF36 M2.

So far, I haven’t managed to get them to creak, unlike every set of 36’s I’ve owned.

I wouldn’t and didn’t pay retail for them, having ridden them, I still wouldn’t pay retail personally. They feel great, not groundbreakingly different & in reality, I don’t go any faster with them.

singlespeedstu

Thanks Hob Nob
    The new style crown and lack of creaking is one of the things that appeals to me.
    I have had enough creaky Fox and RS to last me a lifetime.
    Have you done a lower leg service on them?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t know if the ’21 Fox stuff with the oval steerer will help – I only had a handful of rides on them before I got rid of for the Era. To be honest dealing with Fox is painful enough at the best of times now they are part of the shitshow that is Silverfish, I had to wait over 2 months for a warranty job on a cavitated DPX2 (just a service and seals!) so I was happy to shift them on ASAP.

I haven’t done one yet, i’ve mostly ridden my ebike over winter & these are on my Stumpy, so maybe once a week max, other than the last few weeks. I’ll probably give them a service soon, but I don’t see there being any issue with dropping them & swapping seals etc.

singlespeedstu

Cheers.

singlespeedstu

EXT now ordered.
    Be a shame to not try them at the upgrade price they gave me.

sharkattack

This thread makes me wish I still had access to trade accounts. I haven’t spent a penny on bikes since I got a ‘proper job’ and have to face the absolute brazen obscenity of RRP.

I should be fully EXT’d up by now damn it!

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

My EXT Storia blows my DHX2 away, the 38 is a good improvement over the outgoing 36s in terms of sensitivity and support – but the rear shock is definitely in a class of it’s own.

The Era hasn’t been without it’s issues looking at the MTBR forum, but by the sounds of it Mojo are good at tuning the fork for you and ironing out the setup issues that others have found.

Some of the magic is Mojo Risings tuning I suspect, they’ve certainly got their heads screwed on these days when it comes to damper setup. They used to feel a bit whack in the past sometimes, but the Storias been the best custom tune I’ve ever had done on a shock. They’ve managed to nail that fine balance between giving the shock enough LSC bleed to react sensitively without that hand numbing vibrational harshness and firm on faster harder hits. My DHX2 fell “gatey” – either too harsh or the HSC would open up too quickly and blow off.

singlespeedstu

I already have two Storia shocks and there’ll be another on the new bike to match the fork.
    Agreed that it is such a good shock though.
    I also found it very easy to dial them in from the base settings Paul at Mojo sent them out with.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

The base settings were spot on for me for the conditions I tested my Storia under (working away from home at the moment), either direction felt worse on everything on my test track.

First time that’s ever happened as well.

batman11
    Free Member

The ERA from what a mate has said is almost pure get it set up and forget it way better than the 36 he bought and he also has the stories on his Pinner so fully EXT up.
    Would  love to try but for reasons unknown if I’m gonna lay that amount of cash out!

I’ve got a hankering to try the intend inverted fork! Can’t say why just wanna see if there good lol tried the trust message was good but did beat my old an wrists up sadly and I thought they looked cool.

Not to everyone’s taste which I totally understand.
    bit just always wanted to try an inverted fork, one day I hope 😁

tomhoward

I would have got an Intend fork but for the mediocre (independent) reviews, and Cornelius throwing a tantrum, saying he’s not sending stuff for review anymore. He gets everything he needs from sponsored riders and influencers now apparently.

Tried a couple of USD forks, they flexed a LOT.

jimmy748

I have 36 Grip 2’s with a Luffekappe and a Storia on my G16. I have been looking at the MORC conversion but currently that not available for Grip 2 and I’m not sure about the Luffekappe, now I’m thinking of keeping the 36’s for my Hardtail and getting the ERA’s. But a friend has the Formula Selva in his G1 and raves about it, and I’ve now been looking at the Formula Nero R Dual Crowns, they are only 600g heavier than the 36’s.

Has anyone here tried the Nero’s?

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

No but the Axle to Crown length of those 29er Nero forks looks perfect to mullet my Supreme SX whilst keeping 180mm of travel and preserving the geometry (almost).

mboy
    Free Member

Still fiddling with settings on mine, so far pretty good but there’s a lot of fine tuning to be done and as you’d expect, small adjustments make a lot of difference.

Paul @ Mojo set mine up for me initially, felt really good for grip and feedback, but I just couldn’t get any pop out of them. The bike was stuck to the ground basically! I’ve since wound a bit of rebound off, altered pressures in the + and ++ slightly to make it slightly softer off the top with a little more progression… We are talking very small changes, but getting there. It’s certainly not as easy to dial in as the Storia shock.

Problem is, I’ve come from a heavily modified Fox 36 on my other bike, and with a custom tuned GRIP2 damper and a Diaz Runt in it (and still no creaking so far touch wood), it’s as good as I’ve ridden… There’s a setup in the ERA to match I’m sure though and I’ll probably pop back and see Paul for a bit more of a tweak soon hopefully to get there.

The ERA is noticeably stiffer than the 36 though, as you’d expect…

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Paul @ Mojo set mine up for me initially, felt really good for grip and feedback, but I just couldn’t get any pop out of them. The bike was stuck to the ground basically! I’ve since wound a bit of rebound off, altered pressures in the + and ++ slightly to make it slightly softer off the top with a little more progression… We are talking very small changes, but getting there. It’s certainly not as easy to dial in as the Storia shock.

It’s a race fork designed for people hitting stuff faster, it’s not meant to pop. Neither does my Storia in comparison to an air shock or even a DHX2.

Not sure why one would expect the Era to be stiffer apart from perhaps the single piece crown design? Didn’t Ohlins move away from that idea as they were cracking instead of creaking, seem to remember Steve from Vorsprung talking about stress risers caused by that design.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s a race fork designed for people hitting stuff faster, it’s not meant to pop. Neither does my Storia in comparison to an air shock or even a DHX2.

Agreed, they are definitely what I would call a ‘racey’ tune.

Which shouldn’t be confused with harsh & stiff – they feel quite heavily damped at lower/low normal speeds, but really good the faster you go. I’m finding now i’m running a bit more pressure than the suggested settings, as it’s now bone dry, rough & fast as hell here.

They can be reshimmed to lighten the tune if it is too damped for the sort of stuff & different speeds people ride though 🙂

SirHC

Fitted a set of Era’s to the front of my G1, where did people end up with pressures against their weight?

Starting at 80/115psi, 7hs/7ls and 12rebound. 92kg with backpack and riding gear.
    Had a quick spin round the local stuff and they feel a little soft compared with the lyrik thats come off, but a lot more support (was running the lyrik with 95-100psi)

hazmo

I’m a similar weight to you and started life with recommended pressures of 75psi + and 115psi ++ with 6-6-10 (high-low-rebound). More recently I have dropped the + a touch and upped the ++. It seems really really supple off the top and holds up in the travel well. TBH with such dry and grippy trails, I could probably do with upping the + a touch, but overall, the front end grip/tracking is ace.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘EXT Era Fork’ is closed to new replies.