Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Exposure Twentyfour12 rollcall.
  • Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Not seen a thread on this, scant details on the course so far with just a bit of teasing on some old features making a return.

Weather looking not as bad as previous years, which is nice.

Having another go at 24hr pairs but on a short travel 29er this year (Orange Segment, not the 26″ distance muncher), hoping to hit over 320km but that’s if the weather holds.

Anyone else going ?

Premier Icon kuman

I will be there. First timer doing 12hr solo. Didn’t really have any specific training plan but have been riding as much as I could lately (working around family and work).
    Did 11x 10km laps the other day. It took me 9hrs so hoping for 12 steady laps at exposure. Let’s hope the weather holds.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ll be there with a team mate, having a crack at 12 hour pairs for the first time after having a rather splendid time at Mayhem as part of a 24hr team of 4.

I’m kind of getting into this let other people do some work kind of 12 / 24 hr racing lark

Premier Icon jonnyyeti
    Free Member

I am signed up to do the 24 hour solo but just got a new rescue dog not sure if a 24 hour event will be too stressful for him especially as it would be his first weekend camping.

Plus I am not feeling it even though I have done quite a lot of training including sdw in a day and C2C

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

I will be there handing out the free beer to finishers. Might even have a ride too. Must find out the racing kilt

Premier Icon Kryton57

I’m there 12 solo, if my neck and shoulder issues hold out which is unlikely, plus I was diagnosed asthmatic last week plus this is the first time – despite the fact we’ll be camping with a few mates – my 10yo has been camping and will be left to fend for himself for 12hrs and I’m the worrying kind.  I’ve been before so I appreciate the family nature of the event yet still…

With all that going on I suspect an 11-6pm ride is probably all I have to give.      Finishing my annual training plan today with an MTB ride following 140km on the turbo yesterday.   Actually my legs feel pretty good, but which hill will they use?  I’m hoping it’s not that short sharp one…

Premier Icon robcolliver
    Free Member

I thought I’d have a go at the solo 24; never done an organised 24 before…… should be fun, its just learning to empty the tank at the right speed, right?

Premier Icon PrinceJohn

Finishing my annual training plan today with an MTB ride following 140km on the turbo yesterday. Actually my legs feel pretty good, but which hill will they use? I’m hoping it’s not that short sharp one…

140km on the Turbo? How do you manage to stay engaged for that long? I get bored after a couple of minutes on one.
    They’ve put the lap up on Facbook, looks good, the main climb is the tarmac one, with the really crappy through the woods where there was a wasp/bees nest a few years ago. The fun flat out grassy descent back into the arena looks to be back too.

Premier Icon Kryton57

How do you manage to stay engaged for that long?

A Zwift Audax, a constant need to watch the power, and some mental fortitude.   Go news in the course, I think that the version I prefer!

Premier Icon jay_tht
    Free Member

24hr solo for me on old 26er cube hardtail. Last bit of training not gone to plan with cold chest bug and car needing work on.

But kids are looking forward to camping and the kids race. Wife already to put up with me and keep me feed..

Course looks good and good to see the grassy decent in to camp site good to see that back.

Good luck everyone have a good one.

Jay

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Just finished packing for the ferry.

2nd hardest course from a height distance ratio since I bothered recording ( 5 years). Bit longer too, I presume to accommodate the fat bike lads?

Includes that lumpy loop before the big climb (as a heavy lad I prefer the short sharp climb, a great leveller), i kinda loose track of where I am in some of the latter stages from the map. I presume to get the grassy descent (waste of a climb in my opinion) in there is that short git of a climb up near the river?

Mixed feelings on the shorter loops through the campsite, in good weather they are ace, in poor weather they make the baby Jesus cry.

I’ve fitted some Ergon GP2 bar ends, are 840mm bars too wide?

Weather looks just about ok, really want a dryish course as the last two years have sapped my enthusiasm shed loads.

Anyone want to Bob around and say hello, the Celtic corner (Inc longest day, longest ride crew from the isle of man) is where I’ll be drinking.

Good luck everyone, probably doesn’t read it but I’m excited and the giddy kipper feeling is making work hard to be arsed with.

Premier Icon jay_tht
    Free Member

Well that was a dry one.

Hope everyone had a great time..

It was crazy dusty in places through the night like a mist, but pass midnight it went quite.

That climb up though the field seemed to go on and on then the last grassy bit just to. Still the motivation station was in fun swing cheering everyone. 👍🏻

Then the fun was on with just the right mix of trails to keep it fun and cheeky climbs in.

The two lads at the far end of course on the roll down where ace to always well done keep going. 👍🏻

Cottage return was just ace as always do we need to say more about that trail no as it’s just ace..

Trail next to the river fun as to get the sweet line through it.. Climb up the steep bit was a bit painful but I think worth it for the S bend grassy blast down to campsite.

All in all dam fine event great support from riders out on the course and track side.

Oh one more thing hope the rider who had a crash end of the bomb holes in ok to.

Jay

Premier Icon Kryton57

Copying my post from the duplicate thread…

Yup.  Raced 12h solo and surprised myself my coming 12th as I’ve been flat all year – I was 9th until 22:57 grrr!   Despite Bronchitis 3 weeks ago, puking up an espresso gel on a ruined lap at the bottom of Cottage return and my neck pain arriving with a vengeance at 7h:30 I felt pretty strong in my legs.   Very much a case of “if only” with regard to putting in one more lap .   Kudos to the girls at the top on the Motivation Station.

My kids first time camping also resulted in 2 podiums in the kids racing so he’s really enjoyed himself this weekend also.

However, I’d say the event felt a bit flat this year.   I appreciate they were huge numbers and therefore funds down but compromises on things like toilets, Jelly Belly not turning up, no big screen and added to that a general emptiness to the event arena wasn’t great.

My biggest thumbs up goes to Simon and his team stoically dishing out pizzas and bacon rolls fuelled by Rioja all weekend 😉

Well done also to Mrs Yak and Steve B77 both picking up podiums this weekend,

hope the rider who had a crash end of the bomb holes in ok to

Yes that that looked pretty bad, get well soon mate.  Oh, and the guy in flouro green who decided to barge me off the trail at full chat before the bomb holes after being told there was a rider lying on the trail, with the smug “yeah yeah whatever” comment after I shouted at you for being such an arse, I hope Karma catches up with you and one day you are lying on the ground when some uncaring knob comes screaming past your head for the sake of a few extra seconds.  Knob.

Premier Icon Nobby

I’d echo some of Kryton’s points – it seemed a bit ‘budget’ this year with things like toilets & showers (if it has rained they’d never have coped),mthe arena/stands etc.

Course was one of the better ones although having escaped sheep barrelling towards you early in the climb was an added dimension & hats off to the lad on the quad who rounded ‘em back up. The bridge back into the campsite was proof that some modern handlebars are just too wide 😆

Premier Icon kuman

My first time 12hr solo and only managed 4laps. Went otb at the top section through the woods. Silly pedal strike, lack of focus for 2seconds and bruised my thigh so bad that couldn’t carry on.
    On the plus side I started drinking beer at 4pm to numb the pain.
    Still enjoyed weekend camping with family.
    Well done all.

Premier Icon Gunz

My first go at 24 solo this year but managed a paltry amount of laps (13) and had to stop at 22 hours. A bit disappointing considering the amount of training I put in but at 48 yo I suppose I have to accept the inevitable at some point. If you were one of those that asked after my welfare as I had a lie down after the roll down, thank you, I was waiting for a gel to kick in.
    Echo the thoughts on the support crews at motivation station and the lads just after the roll down seemed quite young but always kept up the encouragement. Trackside shouts to keep going also really helped. I’ll be back.

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Does anyone know who the photographers were this year?

Dave Hayward is the regular one with some great shots on his site. But does anyone have a link to the others?

Premier Icon Gunz

The photos are in progress at http://www.ak47art.com

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Thanks for the link.

This was my 6th year there and was my favourite so far. It was a shame it was so much quieter this year but the conditions were perfect. Managed 9 laps in 12 hours which was a big improvement on my performance last year. No idea where that ranked but not really bothered about that. Just wanted to improve and have fun. Had a trackside camp just by the bridge before the climb.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Well it appears a week of drinking, eating, surfing and lying on the beach is pretty good race prep.

I went into 12hr pairs with my mate with vague chat of a podium, so we went and blasted out the first few hours, got ourselves nicely positioned and then knocked out steady laps after that and bagged 2nd place and a little star trophy.

The course was ace (it’s the first time I’ve raced there) and the whole event was nicely chilled I thought, low key, but chilled. Good to bump into a lot of the usual 24/12 hr racing crowd again as well.

I’ll tell you what though, I reckon pairs could well be harder than solo’ing.

The chap who binned it on the bumholes 🤣 is my mate, he’s a bit banged up with a touch of concussion, but the big accident prone chopper will be ok.

Premier Icon Gunz

Steve, good to hear he’s OK, he was groaning quite a lot when I crept past him and well done to those who were helping him and warning others further up the trail.

Premier Icon Yak

Loved it again. Dry and dusty – woohoo!
    Yeah, course was great and ran well being a bit longer than last year.

Kids did well with my lad winning the u12 stage race. Mrs Yak put together a decent race for the 24hr solo win and 7th overall solo. She was running in about 4th or 5th for quite a bit but lost some time early am.

Good job by my kids pitting for her for the first 12hrs as I was in the vet 12r pairs. 4th which we are chuffed with as my mate had only done 3 rides this year and was a bit sore from a stack before the race. All good though.
    Good to see everyone – kryton and steve_b77 – good riding.

Premier Icon jay_tht
    Free Member

Steve good to hear a update on your mate. Never nice to see and good to get a update he ok well done to all the people who stopped to help out.

Did seem to be not as big turn out this year and did notice less toilets to.

Got to say I did enjoy the course had it all ok the one bit at the far end where you turned left down a bit on soft forest ground then climb back up I didn’t enjoy that much.

Did find that everyone was friendly on the course and hope I was friendly to when asking to come pass did have a vinto jersey for Frist 12hrs of 24hrs.

Sounds like some great challenges there and some ace placing to well done.

Jay

Premier Icon Sonor
    Free Member

Sounds like some great challenges there and some ace placing to well done.

Not going to mention you came 1st in the solo category Jay?

I’ll tell you what though, I reckon pairs could well be harder than solo’ing.

It has been the times I’ve ridden in pairs, That’s because you ride with a team mentality.

Premier Icon Yak

Ha, awesome ride Jay!!

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Finally had the time to sit down and put some thoughts to paper.

Weather was redonculous – it was warm in Ireland and the forecast had been constantly evolving over the prior week and I had been hopeful that we would have better than the previous year’s weather. I didn’t expect 33C driving down on the Thursday, the rest of the weekend was pretty much beach weather. Looks like instead of making a beeline for 24/12 the wet dropped it everywhere else fortunately.

Really enjoyed the course, the longer river run section is a joy, although the bridge at the end is kinda narrow so to get over the bridge I had to cycle leaning right over so that my left bar was over the top or walk. 840mm is too much (Nominally 800mm but eargon gp2 added 4 cm)

The inclusion of the bends on the grassy descent made the short sharp climb worth it, so I take back my previous comments. Finally managed to nail the bombholes so that they flowed, I don’t know if it was because they were dry or the slacker bike but those three sections (bombholes/cottage/the other one) were great. Didn’t walk a single bit in my hole race.

I was in 24 pairs (2nd attempt, first last year after torchbearer entries) so we had agreed to alternate laps, meaning we could push a bit harder as we had recovery time. This worked well until it didn’t. My partner is better than me but has done less long distance prep so he decided to go for a nap at about 2am for a couple of hours… I had always being aiming to get 100 miles in 12 hours so I continued to plod around, unfortunately after 4 more laps I bonked (12). I dunno if it was just the pacing (I thought I was being sensible and I started to freewheel a lot of the steeper descents etc) or if the incredible cold through the night played a factor. Either way I was borked and had a proper sit down by the fire to recover. I completed one more lap with ~15 minutes to go on the 12 hours and as I’m including the cycle to and from the transition I just hit 100 miles.

Once again, big thanks to the two younger lads at the bottom of that drop – constant encouragement on every lap.

Support from spectators around the course was great – the infrastructure not so much.

I thought it was a bit poor that there were no showers for after the running event on the Thursday evening and just 8 would have been a disaster if it had rained (toilets could have done with more frequent changing too). I know numbers were down (due to previous lumps of bad weather?) but when your going to the local pub to take advantage of their facilities something isn’t right, lots of opposing rumours floating around about the reasons. Timing wasn’t an issue for us but it was pretty poor, even now I can’t see individual lap times on the website. I know there are much smaller events with proper live timings and multiple transponders so you can see almost where exactly individual racers are on the course and all accessible across the web (LDLR mtb) instantly. Wasn’t too keen on being given a medal before I had taken part in an event either, I would have preferred a stem spacer (like 2010?) as a memento at the start rather than a finishers medal. Fingers crossed it’s just learning from the new team.

Jay – Are you the guy in the Vimto top? We had a chat on the tarmac climb and I recognise you from previous years (I’m the big lad in the green MAD kit). Great result, every time I was going around you appeared to pass me by, almost made me miss my old 26er.

Congrats to everyone else, I really enjoyed it and hope you all did too.

Premier Icon Yak

Saccades – I am sure I saw you on course a fair bit in the MAD kit. I was in turquoise and purple Pedal 2 Pedal kit. My wife and her teammate (12hr vet ladies solo winner – yay!) were in red, white and blue JMC kit.
    Yeah the bombholes – I reckon get the entry wrong on the first and it never flowed. Go in hard R, well off the rock slab and the whole section just flowed beautifully. Lovely!
    The river run ace was too, mostly I think because of the faster entry so you could really carry speed into the first few sections. Definitely preferred it this year.

Congrats on hitting your distance target!

We did pairs 12hr and started lap about, but it felt too much so went to doubles and a steadier approach. Seemed easier and allowed me to help a little with the pit-work inbetween.

Anyway – well done everyone. This is still my favourite race/event of the year despite the niggles with timing and the new schedule. Preferred the noon-noon format as my lad’s podium had neither of us there to see him unfortunately.

Premier Icon dabaldie
    Free Member

New link to timing with individual lap times.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wOpHBc29tkdVHNOWOUli5bwu67TLkigaFE-2zRyyya0/htmlview?sfns=cl#

Best viewed in Chrome.

Premier Icon jay_tht
    Free Member

Sonor you got me there 🙂 👍

Still in shock I done it 24hr vets solo 1st place, just got home from family short break around Devon. Just unpacked the car and got trolly out big smile on the face.

My wife didn’t say how I was doing through the race but felt good and kept feeding and tapping out on the pedals. Was not to 10am I was told didn’t believe it 100% not to we crossed the line and Matt said..

Yak thank you 👍

Saccades yes I remember chatting to you on the tarmac climb cannot remember about am sure it might of been about the course or bikes lol.

Yak agree with you on favourite event to.

Premier Icon hopoplu
    Free Member

Always my favourite event of the year and for the whole family, with the kids races and then them going for high fives and handing out sweets to the riders during the main races… we were parked immediately after the narrow bridge if you got collared for high fives or sweets!

Other than the timing issues thought it was another great event, course was tough but fun, Marshall and campsite support was spot on and it was sunny!

I managed 4th in the open 12hr solo behind a pretty stacked podium so was well happy with that, although still feeling it a bit now….

Premier Icon jay_tht
    Free Member

Well done hopoplu in getting 4th. Remember the kids and high fives there think I got a sweet once to.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Twentyfour12 rollcall.’ is closed to new replies.