Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Exposure sync. Don’t bother
  • Premier Icon mikeryan
    Free Member

Just bought a diablo sync for the winter months to upgrade my old ay ups. I thought I would go for the sync as it was only a few quid more and it allows you to configure the light settings via an app.

First thing is that the instructions are for the older model with a supplement with a barcode on. This leads to a series of generic videos. What is wrong with some good old paper instructions. Second thing is to download the app. Then try and connect to the light. This is the most long winded operation I have encountered. You can get men of a launch pad in a rocket quicker than connecting to the light. I do eventually connect but the moment I try to change anything it disconnects. I am about to try out the tap feature as I sling it at the wall in disgust. After the best part of £200 I want the features to work. Come on exposure. Great lights s**t app. Please pay attention and sort this out.

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

TBH Exposure lost me years ago when they started all this 10 different programmable modes bullshit. Press the button for X seconds then double click to cycle through the….blah blah blah

**** off exposure. Make a light with high, medium, low and flashing. Put a decent battery in it and then repair it for free every few years when it breaks. That’s all we want.

All this toss about apps and programming it. WTF is the point. As the old adage goes…. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

That’s all we want

Untrue of course. Since this is STW which is populated by rampant gear freaks…

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk
    Free Member

**** off exposure. Make a light with high, medium, low and flashing. Put a decent battery in it and then repair it for free every few years when it breaks. That’s all we want.

Funny, my Joystick is apparently programmable but I’ve just left it as it came from the shop, e.g. high, medium, low or flashing 😎

Actually the battery stopped charging properly a year or two ago. They replaced it for free too!

Premier Icon bigwatts
    Free Member

You really must be a dumbass if you can’t work out the programming on an exposure light. So simple and once set you don’t have to touch it again. Not felt a need for the sync though.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“TBH Exposure lost me years ago when they started all this 10 different programmable modes bullshit. Press the button for X seconds then double click to cycle through the….blah blah blah”

I thought this too. Then I got one. And another. You adjust it once to suit your riding and then leave it for good. So it feels just like having high, medium and low – except the brightness/runtime is tailored to suit you.

I’ve found the tap thing doesn’t work because if I land a drop hard it dims the light. Haven’t tried the sync thing. But the programmable thing is brilliant.

Premier Icon scotroutes

You adjust it once to suit your riding and then leave it for good

Nah – I adjust mine according to what sort of ride I’m doing. Going out for a 3 hour blast around the local forests is a different setting from a 2-3 day/night bikepacking trip.

Premier Icon njee20

I’ve never touched mine since I set it up.

I liked the idea of the tap, but it never worked for me, I mainly bar mount my Diablo (on the road) though.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

You adjust it once to suit your riding and then leave it for good

Nope. One light, lots of options for short blasts, road rides/commutes, 24hr races…. The one thing I wish they’d do is change the sequencing so instead of going H > M > L > H etc on the cycle it did L > M > H > L etc.

If I’m in Medium and a descent comes up, I don’t want to have to click through Low first, I want it to kick straight into High. Other than that, they’re top notch lights.

Premier Icon DickBarton

Sounds like the vast majority of people’s suspension as well then – setup when new and never adjusted again…

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

The sync is rubbish.

The remote for mine needs resynching every ride. The phone app needs the light reset then done from scratch to connect every time I want to change the settings.

Connecting takes any where between 2 and 102 attempts.

Premier Icon DrP
    Free Member

I have mine in just two settings.. High and med….
    Never found a need for low, and means the cycling through makes more sense..

DrP

Premier Icon Poopscoop

They are bloody great lights to be honest. Hard to find fault apart from price. Some things are worth the price though.

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

Leisure lakes had the sync for £185 recently.

It was a faff to set up but program 6 is perfect for my local loops.

No problems so far and happy with the light, the design of the remote could be improved though.

AFAIK the sync doesn’t have TAP.

Premier Icon longmover

The reflex system on my MaxxD is a bag of balls, everytime I have tried to use it I’ve ended up with a broken light going back on warranty as it will no longer turn on. Staying away from reflex its fine and is a good light.

Premier Icon mattbee

Haven’t tried Sync.
    My Equinox has a remote which is handy on my drop bar bike as I run the light on a front of stem mount, under my gps so it’s fiddly to get to.
    The programming is really easy too. I use in a lower power setting with just High and Low when on the road and then a slightly higher setting off road, again with just High and Low. If I’m riding with other people, when my slightly lower powered light can get drowned out, I run it at full blast (High) and Low along with a battery pack to extend the burn time.
    Takes about 20 seconds to change between the programmes and they are printed/etched on the light body so it’s not difficult to work out which one you need!

Premier Icon tall_martin

Still running a mark 1 six pack on the bars plus a diabalo on my head.

I tried the tap function on the diabalo a couple of times and it was a bit fiddly.

Have happily used the buttons for the las few years with out changing the programs.

Just works with no fuss for me 👍

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

oreetmon
    AFAIK the sync doesn’t have TAP.

Correct – the instructions are slightly misleading on this.
    I emailed Exposure when I got my Diablo Sync to ask the question – apparently they can’t fit the bluetooth and tap stuff in together as there isn’t enough room.

TBH I only bought the Sync version as it came with the extra battery pack.

Premier Icon Trimix

Every year they have to come up with something “new”. So you end up with features no one needs / wants.

Same with a lot of products. Seems we cant just make one version and leave it at that.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Every year they have to come up with something “new”. So you end up with features no one needs / wants.

Yes, it’s the defining feature of our consumer culture – perceived innovation. To be fair, it’s only an issue if it impacts on core functionality (ie: it stops the light just working in a basic way), but a lot of it’s unnecessary.

As a classic example, Petzl put a red LED on the battery box of its top-end running headtorch, which is a good idea. But… to switch it on and off you had to pair the torch with a phone app and change it within the app. A small switch would have done the same thing in a way that actually made sense, but there isn’t one. So if you’re running at night and want to switch your rear red LED on for, say, a short section of back lane running, you have to do it using your phone. I’m sure it seemed like a good idea in some development lab.

Premier Icon Sir HC

My MaxxD Mk7 recently went back to exposure after 4 years of trouble free service, rear panel lost its back light, light still worked but was difficult to see what the remaining burn time was. Light used 8 months of the year, twice a week. Back panel replaced at a cost of £60 and its good to go again.

I like my bike to just work, couldn’t be bothered by electric gears or seatposts. They will have been poorly validated with badly written software. Mechanical systems for me.

Premier Icon Yak

I’ve had good exposures that just worked and one that loved a regular return trip for repair. The key things about exposures – neat bracket and compact design are good. It’s all the additional tech that bothers me. Remotes, touch taps, app controls – surely they have no place in something that will spend most of its life getting hammered hard in mucky wet conditions and no doubt hitting the ground a fair few times. Reliability, simplicity, and ruggedness are what I would prefer over the latest app-controlled whatnot.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Reliability, simplicity, and ruggedness are what I would prefer over the latest app-controlled whatnot.

The thing is the sync has all of those things (still works just like a non sync) but has the app for programming which [once connected] does that well and gives a very good indication of exactly what you’re doing – you adjust the burn time you want to and it adjusts the output accordingly.

If it stayed paired and didn’t crash the light it would be great.

For a helmet light a wireless switch makes a lot of sense to me, again if it actually worked it would be great. For a bar light it would be a bit of a gimmick (though a dinky remote nearer the grips makes sense there’s little point in it being wireless)

Premier Icon andybrad

id considered upgrading my diablo mk7 (great light, toro is balls in comparison) to one with sync. I wont bother now.

Although i do like the ability to adjust the program on my lights so i can actually get to the end of a night ride.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I’ve had good exposures that just worked and one that loved a regular return trip for repair. The key things about exposures – neat bracket and compact design are good. It’s all the additional tech that bothers me. Remotes, touch taps, app controls – surely they have no place in something that will spend most of its life getting hammered hard in mucky wet conditions and no doubt hitting the ground a fair few times. Reliability, simplicity, and ruggedness are what I would prefer over the latest app-controlled whatnot.

Step 1) make a bright rugged light
    Step 2) make it with a bewildering number of light levels and flashing modes, charge more for this feature
    Step 3) make an app and a remote to control the extra features, allowing users to disable them and get back to step 1. Charge even more for this feature.

I just want a sensibly priced light for the road bike, with a STVZO dipped beam and a big >1000lumen main beam. I looked at the Exposure Strada, but even at £210-£300 the dipped beam is still just an oval. I don’t want flashing modes, i don’t want 9 variations on ‘middle’, or an app, or a remote. Just enough light to see by on a descent, and a dipped beam for oncoming cars. Thinking of getting the B+M IQ-X E 100lux and hacking an old mtb light to switch between them on a rocker.

Premier Icon rollinrollinrollin
    Free Member

Yup, I concur. I’ve been trying to connect my six pack and diablo all f***in weekend. It did connect but now it just doesn’t see the app or the remotes.

I was hoping to find other with problems and how they sorted it. I quite like the idea of an app to configure the lights rather than pressing the buttons like I’m trying to get the finishing move on Mortal Kombat. It seems a good idea being able to turn them on from a remote rather than trying to fumble for a button on the back or tap it like a moron.

The lights are great, they burn shadows permanently and the battery will last long enough on full chat, but the app and the remote are f****in next to useless. I really don’t want to d1ck about connecting every fu***in time I attach them to the bike.

These things are chuffin expensive, they should work out of the box and not to hard to setup, I can’t do any of that sh1t now!. FU Exposure, simply FU. They’ll be either going back or smashed into tiny little pieces the size of dust, eaten then shat out onto one of the provided stickers and then returned to Exposure to show them exactly what I think. Exposure should be reading this thread and helping out where they can, not just giving 0 ****.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 the switching/button stuff is annoying. I have an older Diablo and Joystick and they both try to go into settings mode when all you want to do is switch them off. Not used Sync but will steer clear.

Premier Icon naessean
    Free Member

So So Sooooo Glad I am not alone to feel the pain of my Diablo Mk11 SYNC Pack…

I have been trying for hours to pair the light and remove.

I have deleted the app, restarted the phone and cleared the cache. I have tried all things I can.

I set the torch into pairing mode and last for hours.

Tried different phones, in the middle of an oval with not a device for hundreds of meters as this can cause issues I have read.

NOTHING WORKS. I love the light, it is bright and light.

The preset times on the side are great as you can alter these so easy and fast if wanting to.

BUT the remote and APP is just painful.

If you dont want the remote or custom setting great unit…

I bought as one day thought might get another light and sync it….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.