Exposure Revo.

Home Forum Bike Forum Exposure Revo.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Exposure Revo.
  • GregMay

Am in the same boat debating buying one, but not seen any real world reviews just yet.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Uses a std SP hub so should be some reviews of that about. Main concern seems to be bearing replacements but much depends on how long they last. Obviously )

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

james.

I’ve read all about the SP hubs but the only person I know that’s had any experience of one has warned me away from it.
    Recons he could feel the resistance in the hub when pushing the bike and at slow speed.
    Knowing how i hated that feeling from the Rohloff i had for several years i’d not like to go down that route again. ๐Ÿ˜•

Subscriber

Anyone using one?
    I’ve read all the posts from Rob Dean.

Now I’d like to hear from people that weren’t envolved in developing it please but have paid for one and used it for a while.

I’d like one but I’ve heard a few bad things about the hub that comes with it.

GregMay

That much drag off a Rohloff that it was noticeable? (I’ve never owned one)

Just ordered an Alfine (poor mans Rohloff I suppose)…hopefully not going to be that bad :/

RAGGATIP

I haven’t tried the Revo but I can vouch for the SP dynamo lasting well over a year and a half with a lot of mileage on it now and it hasn’t missed a beat. I use it on my only road bike for commuting and leisure. The drag really isn’t noticeable when riding, you’ll still get your Strava KOMs on it. The bearings haven’t needed replacing so I can’t tell you how easy/hard they are to replace. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Trust me the lack of hassle with charging lights all the time is worth it.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Didn’t slow Mike down on the TDR this year, or the next 4 behind him, all on dyno hubs. But I know what you mean, I went off hub gears for the same reason. Going to try out an SP / Revo hub soon as I like the idea but unsure of a few aspects.

I can’t tell you how easy/hard they are to replace

Return to manufacturer job, apparently.

CraigW

You could buy the Exposure Revo light on its own, then use it with any other dynamo hub.
    eg Shimano dynamo hubs are fairly cheap, and work fine in my experience. Yes, they are a bit heavier and slightly more drag than the SP hub, but you won’t actually notice the difference.

robdeanhove

For everyone’s info, the Revo will work with any dynamo, although I rate the SP hubs quite highly, having used them commuting (on and off road), touring and on the mountain bike for a couple of years.

However, be careful, as for a MTB at slow climbing speeds, the lightest hubs, rated at 2.4W, will give you noticably less light at low speeds (although maximum brightness will ultimately be the same. I have run my with a couple of different Shimano models and some no-name random hubs too, and all “6V 3W” rated hubs (note, this is at a controlled speed, with a fixed load, the actual max outputs depends on what you connect) should provide similar performance but with different weight and efficiency.

Personally, after the hub completing EWE under three different riders in the last two years, and “winning” both, an SP hub being on the winning bike for the Highland Trail race, and coming first AND second at this year’s Tour Divide, I wonder what more proof people need that they’re both suitable for mountain bike and durable!

Hope that helps clarify hubs, as I was requested in the first post not to comment on the Revo itself ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and the SP hub is now available in a QR15 compatible version too ๐Ÿ™‚

flatfish

Tagging this for reference.

Subscriber

Rob.
    I knew you’d not be able to resist answering. ๐Ÿ™‚

James.
    Looking forwards to hearing your thoughts on the SP.
    I take it you’ll be going for the fatbike version to put on your Jones?
    Are you aware that you can get an adaptor to convert the 15mm SP for fat use?

scandalous

Mine is newly built up now.

I have put together a bike (now my only mtb bike!) to concentrate on self supported / going long events for the foreseeable future (BB200, Highland 440-530 etc) and with the help of Kemo M172 now powers the light and satnav.

When it was first built up I thought the hub was borked as it was so so so clunky when trying to spin it in your hands (I fact I actually rang up Exposure to enquire about it!). However, once fitted with a QR into the forks it spins fine. If you spin the wheel unweighted in the forks it just get very slightly clunky when slowing down to a stop but once weighted (i.e. in proper riding conditions!) you don’t notice it!

Went for a 4 hour ride at the weekend o shake down the new bike and it worked well. The hub charged the GPS and at the end of the ride there had been no reduction in the level of charge in the unit.

Will be taking it out on a night ride this week to see how it works in the dark!

lilchris

I’d only previously used the Chinese knock-offs, but bought the package from Wiggle last year with a promo code (otherwise probably wouldn’t have).

It’s great.
    Can’t really add more than that, it’s just great ๐Ÿ™‚

trail_rat

Anyone in north east scotland got one i could take a gander at ? Im reluctant to add more drag to my commuter already having an alfine on it….having binned my rohloff for same reason as stu.

Im seeing the same phrases mentioned here as i did when i bought my rohloff.

joemarshall

When it was first built up I thought the hub was borked as it was so so so clunky when trying to spin it in your hands (I fact I actually rang up Exposure to enquire about it!). However, once fitted with a QR into the forks it spins fine. If you spin the wheel unweighted in the forks it just get very slightly clunky when slowing down to a stop but once weighted (i.e. in proper riding conditions!) you don’t notice it!

Im seeing the same phrases mentioned here as i did when i bought my rohloff.

The difference between the rohloff and a dynamo, is that in the dynamo, the klunky feeling when not on a wheel is because it likes to be in a particular place relative to the magnets, which means there are 24 or something notches round the wheel; so at some points it is pulling backwards towards the last notch, but at other points it is pulling forwards towards the next notch. When you’re riding with the weight of a wheel and bike to smooth it out, the fact that 50% of the time it is speeding you up very slightly, and 50% of the time it is slowing you down very slightly balances out. Whereas in a Rohloff, that’s drag in the hub.

It’s hard to tell how much drag is in a dynamo hub without doing actual tests, because turning the hub in your hands tells you nothing.

The bearings thing I think is true for most dynamo hubs, on my shimano, it’s supposed to be something to do with how the electricity gets out of the hub, there are some small wires that can get broken.

scandalous

apparently the overall energy input required / couple of hours is the equivalent of what you get from a Digestive biscuit!

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Know someone that had been running one on his road bike for a while. Reckoned the difference over a normal hub in use was like the difference between 23c and 25c tyres. ie. pretty much nothing at all.

The hub has to provide 3W of power to run the light at full tilt. I’d be surprised if you can feel 3 extra watts of resistance on your bike compared to say, the highly variable ground conditions driven by the changeable weather in this country.

Personally I’m very keen to try one ASAP. The only thing that has been holding me back was a lack of bolt through hub, which seems to be on its way.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Stu/Rob, a 15mm thru-axle version that converts to 135mm? Useful to know, that could be good. Not for my Jones tho at the moment, for a road bike or a maybe later a 100mm spaced fork I’ll get made for the Jones.

MTB at slow climbing speeds

When I was really tired and eyes were failing, I was glad of a battery light when riding alongside others on hub dynamos. May just get used to it but constant light seemed to be a good thing.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

James wrote:

When I was really tired and eyes were failing, I was glad of a battery light when riding alongside others on hub dynamos. May just get used to it but constant light seemed to be a good thing.

Yep – I can’t see how I would manage with just a dynamo light for those reasons.

Aidan

I think you’re probably more sensitive to drag in the drivetrain than you are to drag from the front hub. The difference when you clean a grimy chain is pretty noticeable, and the drag from a hub gear is pretty noticeable.

With an SP hub, I thought I could tell the difference between the Revo being plugged in and unplugged, but only on road while trying to sense a change. It was so slight that it could just be imagination.

For riding over multiple days, or to get away from having to recharge between night-rides, a Revo is a no-brainer for me.

Subscriber

James.

Details about the 15mm converter from.
    mtbtools.chris@outlook.com

He’s doing 9×135, 10×135 and 15×135 to cover all the fat front standards.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

I’ve got the Revo/SP setup on my “road” bike

DSC_0135 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Yes, it gets duller at slow speed, but even at the slowest, about-to-fall-off speed its fine. And the extra-bright mode kicks in at suprisingly not very fast at all. then its good for 40mph+ descents in pitch black. That is on road though.
    If anything, my biggest complaint is that its too bright, especially on road. I’d like to be able to switch off the extra 2 LEDs when riding at speed in a lit, built-up area to avoid dazzling other road users.

For MTB use, it would be nice if the standlight could have an external switch, so for a slow speed techy descent (or climb) say, the light could be boosted from the capacitor.

To be honest though, if you’re off road you’ve probably got a battery powered helmet light too, so that would probably give you enough light for the slow techy stuff, then the faster stuff the Revo would kick in.

As for the drag issue, I was amazed how stiff the hub felt trying to turn it on its own when no built up. Once built into a wheel, you can feel each of the poles contacting as you spin the wheel very slowly by hand, but as soon as its up to a resonable speed, you can’t feel any drag. Unlike my old Shimano B&M setup where the light would flicker like a strobe at slow speed and you could feel (and hear) as you rode slowly.

Edit – For the record, my Rohloff with fresh oil in has naff all drag too….

Sam

Really loving my Revo for road use. In conjunction with a good head mounted light (I have a Diablo) it’s also fine for off-road use. Doesn’t have quite the oomph of a Maxx_-D but it does the job.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

For MTB use, it would be nice if the standlight could have an external switch, so for a slow speed techy descent (or climb) say, the light could be boosted from the capacitor.

Exactly what I was looking for in hall A2 at Eurobike (the German brands and touring tech zone) but didn’t find. But half the catalogues I got were in German so maybe I missed it. Can’t be a difficult mod? I don’t tend to use a helmet light off-road, just a petzl for map and camp duties, so I’m looking for a 1-for-all dyno light.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

James – fancy designing a light with all the features we want in? Can’t be that hard can it?!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Revo.’ is closed to new replies.