• This topic has 49 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Exposure MaxxD Mk9
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone got one?
    Any good?
    How long do they last when you use the Reflex setting?

mboy
    Free Member

Mine just arrived this morning, to replace the Mk8 I had for the previous year. Main differences are the new button and display from what I can tell.

My experience of the run times in Reflex setting on the old one (and a Toro) is that you won’t get the quoted run times unless you’re going really quite slowly uphill, I can’t remember the speed the accelerometer starts dimming the light drastically, but it’s lower than say if you were climbing most fireroads. If all your riding is really steep and technical though, it’s a brilliant feature.

Superb light either way.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mine is a Mk7. I use reflex programme 2 which should give me six hours but the display suggests it wouldn’t. In the reflex mode I can still switch to a low setting so I do that on road or simple sections. Really happy with it as a good compromise between power, weight and duration. Also have an axis on me head.

singlespeedstu

Ta.
    So how long on average where you getting out of it in the Reflex setting?
    Does it turn it’s self up quick and high enough when the trail suddenly goes steep but is still quite low speed?

DrP

So i got one of the Evan’s reduced ones and used it on tuesday.

Pens at the ready..

From The off it had 5.40 on the timer on level 2..
    Left the house at about 1910, and got back about 11ish. We stopped at the pub for about half an hour.
    I was down to 45 minutes when pulling into the pub, and i often dimmed it myself, though was mostly on high/reflex setting.
    On leaving the pub i dropped it to level 3 and left it on reflex for the 30ish minute ride home. It was on ZERO as i pulled into my drive.

How many packets of crisps did I have in the pub?

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

So how long on average where you getting

Sorry but I don’t know as I manually switch to low at times plus I’ve never let it run to flat. I’d guess at nearer five hours rather than the quoted six but I really am just guessing at what would happen

Does it turn it’s self up quick and high enough

It works well enough that I never give it a thought BUT if you want maximum light at low speed you don’t get that. It chucks out a fair bit of light anyway so hasn’t ever left me wanting and ramps up quickly as speed picks up.

You need to try one to see if reflex works for you. Still a great light if you use a non reflex mode

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

How many packets of crisps did I have in the pub?

None, you had salted peanuts 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

From The off it had 5.40 on the timer on level 2

Level 2 = 6 hour reflex mode? Yet after 3 hours, a fair amount of time at lower settings and several packets of crisps it was done? My Mk7 is not that bad, probably not as bright either but think I prefer it as it is

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone compared one in real world to a 6 pack?

Trying to choose between the two currently.

Yak

DrP – maybe yours needs a full 12hr charge – well past showing 100%.

DrP

“A fair amount of time at lower speeds..”

Steady on old boy 😉

DrP

Alex

I run mine in PGM-1 but click the switch to the low power mode when climbing. It’s more than enough for that. In Reflex it says 3:01 on 100% charge when turning it on, but not sure you’d get that unless your ride profile is all up, all down, all up, etc…

Still easily get three hours+ using the low power mode. It seems to have improved with a few charges. Great light. really happy with it.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its almost too bright. Great for techy downhill bits, but quite possibly far too bright on its highest setting for just riding about.

Its so bright I cant tell if the Joystick on my helmet is actually on or not.

Im now riding about on lower settings. Not sure what you would do with more light, it really wouldn’t be a night ride then.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I said lower settings 🙂 and I don’t want to flatter you too much but I do wonder whether Exposures calculations are going to fit with your speed profile.

singlespeedstu

Next question…
    Is the 6Pack worth an extra £35 ?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Where do you get 35 from?

Trimix
    Free Member

I ride a lot at night, I really dont know if I could use a brighter light. Seriously, any brighter than the MaxxD and its not a night ride.

jonnyboi

Used my six pack for the first time tonight, chose it over the maxxD simply because I thought the extra lumens on a longer run time was worth the extra as I do endurance events.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I get where you’re coming from Trimix – there’s always a balance

singlespeedstu

bonesetter – Member
    Where do you get 35 from?

Evans.
    My thinking is that I can run the 6Pack on a lower setting and get more runtime with the same amount of light?

mboy
    Free Member

So how long on average where you getting out of it in the Reflex setting?

I reckon left on Reflex you’ll get 60-70% of the quoted run time, so around 2hrs on the 3hr setting and 4hrs on the 6 if that makes sense.

I run mine in PGM-1 but click the switch to the low power mode when climbing. It’s more than enough for that. In Reflex it says 3:01 on 100% charge when turning it on, but not sure you’d get that unless your ride profile is all up, all down, all up, etc…

Yeah basically what I do. You still get about 500 or so lumens for climbing, which is more than enough. As soon as you’re on the flat or going downhill, knock it up to Reflex and it sorts itself out (albeit the battery runs out quicker than stated).

Its almost too bright. Great for techy downhill bits, but quite possibly far too bright on its highest setting for just riding about.

Quite agree. Which is why, to me, even though the 6Pack is only slightly more expensive, the extra brightness is totally redundant, however…

Used my six pack for the first time tonight, chose it over the maxxD simply because I thought the extra lumens on a longer run time was worth the extra as I do endurance events.

As he said, if you do endurance events especially solo, the battery life on the 6Pack comes into its own. You can get roughly 1000 lumens for a solid 12hrs FFS!

Next question…
    Is the 6Pack worth an extra £35 ?

£55 at RRP. If you want to have a play with one though, pop by the shop you’re more than welcome to give it a go.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oh, the 6 pack’s on clearance too

Charlie says: go big of go home. This packs a shed load of light, and is recognised as the ultimate light. I use this light, not only for the whopping lumins and clever “gets brighter as you get radder” feature, but also its the massive battery life. I dont need to plan ahead, rush home, cram a charge in before a ride… it lasts many many rides with a single charge

DrP

What I will say is, coming from a mk4 maxx d, is that the extra light IS better!!
    I was riding faster downhill (albeit on a rigid ss), and it’s NOT like daytime riding – is still night riding, just better!

More enjoyable for me, but then I’m probably just convincing myself… Purchaser confirmation bias etc!

DrP

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the Maxx Stu

My Trotie has done well for a coming up to 7 year old light

singlespeedstu

6Pack ordered.
    Cheaper than buying the Maxx and a battery extender thingy.

fifeandy
    Free Member

With the evans discount a 6pack is a no brainer. Worth it for the larger battery if nothing else.

nickdavies

Being as the other thread died, anyone here talking about the maxx d have a race too? Output is lower but looks quite similar on the exposure compare tool. Prefer the price and size of the race – will I be left feeling like I should have gone for the max d?

roverpig

I reckon left on Reflex you’ll get 60-70% of the quoted run time, so around 2hrs on the 3hr setting and 4hrs on the 6 if that makes sense.

I’ve got a Reflex MkII rather than a MaxxD, but I guess the principle is the same. I’ve had it around three years (lost count) and it always says 3hrs in Reflex mode at the start of a ride but only ever shows around 30 minutes left after 1:30 if I just leave it in that mode. I even sent it back after a couple of years and they sent me a brand new unit (and updated charger), but the new one does the same. So, I just work on the theory that when it says 3 hours it really means 2. Maybe I’m just too fast for it 😀

A simple tap on the switch will put it into P2 with a quoted 12 hours run time, so I’ll do that on the climbs if I know I’m going to be out for more than two hours.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

How/why are evans doing them so cheap when the next cheapest is £80 more for the six pack?

Evans £280
    Crc £360.

Are these evans ones legit as in the new model? They are claiming it is a clearance model but the six pack 2017 is a brand new model. Bonkers

Saccades
    Free Member

Roverpig – I’ve a mk2 reflex and on the 5 hours I needed it on the twentyfour12 is told me perfectly the time remaining.

jonnyboi

matlockmeat – Member
    How/why are evans doing them so cheap when the next cheapest is £80 more for the six pack?
    Evans £280
    Crc £360.
    Are these evans ones legit as in the new model? They are claiming it is a clearance model but the six pack 2017 is a brand new model. Bonkers

Completely legit. Mine is a mk 7.

Yak

anyone here talking about the maxx d have a race too?

Yes – it’s very good. All the same stuff as the bigger lights inc reflex, just much smaller. Great for solo night rides, but I haven’t ridden it with other folk, so don’t know if you will be outgunned in a group ride.

iainc

new Mk9 from Evans yesterday. It’s certainly the current model, don’t know how they get away with selling them so cheap, but I’m not complaining 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hmm… the 6 Pack looks pretty big – can like

dlr

Bit confused with their “detailed” quick start guide….

take the Maxx D for example, 2350 lumums and boosts to 3200 in reflex mode. So does that mean in normal operation with reflex off, selecting high/medium/low yourself, it will only go to 2350 in High?

roverpig

Roverpig – I’ve a mk2 reflex and on the 5 hours I needed it on the twentyfour12 is told me perfectly the time remaining.

I must admit, despite having it for around three years, I’ve not done much playing with different modes. Since my mid-week winter night ride is usually around 1:30-2 hours long I just stick it in the brightest (P1) Reflex mode and leave it there.

What little testing I’ve done would suggest that the lower power modes are more accurate in their estimate of the time.

Even on P1 it isn’t really wrong. It adjusts itself as it goes along and after a little while it’s quite accurate. It’s just in the car park before the ride starts that it’s overly optimistic. Maybe I’m faster uphill than it expects or, more likely, slower coming down again. Either way, I guess my rides don’t fit the profile it expects, so it spends longer on full brightness that it predicted.

iainc

take the Maxx D for example, 2350 lumums and boosts to 3200 in reflex mode. So does that mean in normal operation with reflex off, selecting high/medium/low yourself, it will only go to 2350 in High?

yes

bonesetter
    Free Member

take the Maxx D for example, 2350 lumums and boosts to 3200 in reflex mode. So does that mean in normal operation with reflex off, selecting high/medium/low yourself, it will only go to 2350 in High?[/QUOTE]

yes

That seems weird – nearly one thousand lumens amiss

dlr

Ok thanks Iainc. Was also looking at the Diablo and Equinox but neither of the aforementioned quick start guides for the helmet lights even list the battery times for those two. Think I will stick with my Lumicycle which lasts forever on the bars and just get something different for the helmet, always wear a camelbak anyway so seperate battery not the end of the world and the Equinox/Diablo have low runtimes anyway

iainc

dlr – the benefit for me of Reflex is it’s very intuitive. I have it on PGM1, and leave on high reflex setting. My usual night rides are around 2 hrs and it always have at least 20-30 mins plus left in it at the end. If I am going on a longer ride I will toggle it to low when having breaks, waiting for others etc, and I have been out for close to 3 hrs doing this and it’s still had juice left at the end.

The Reflex bit just ‘works’, you can feel it powering down on slower climbing sections and really ramping up when you get fast. The only time I have found it at all wanting is after a short stop, when it has dimmed down, you go straight into some fast downward sections and the first few seconds it is a bit dim, but that’s a small annoyance given how intuitive it is at giving you the optimum, ‘enough light’ at any time

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Exposure MaxxD Mk9’ is closed to new replies.