Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Exposure Equinox vs Diablo
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Hi all, a rather specific lights question for you – I’m after a new head light. I’ve got a Gemini Duo that I have been using on the head but plan to stick on the bars. I really like the remote control on that but it wobbles a bit and is heavy on the helmet.

For the same price I can get:
    Diablo MK9 – this is the newest Diablo model, only released a few weeks ago. No remote (but has a tap facility).
    Equinox mk1 – My LBS is selling NOS. This is a few years old now (2014 I think) but was more expensive and on paper it’s brighter than the Diablo, and comes with a remote. A bit heavier though (140g vs 119).

Given that I’m using this as a second light, I don’t need it to be ridiculously bright. I’m leaning towards the Equinox but if someone can tell me the Diablo is more modern and better, I’ll go for that.

Thoughts?

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve never used my Diablo on the highest settings.

But a remote would be good!

Sorry, that’s really not much help…

benp1

The newer light will have a new battery, but it might also have a higher capacity

The Diablo has TAP functionality, I haven’t found the need for a remote

Superficial
    Free Member

The newer light will have a new battery, but it might also have a higher capacity

That’s a point. They’re both advertised as 3400mAh but I suppose one’s potentially been sat on a shelf for 3 years.

I’ve heard people say they don’t like the tap thing – E.g. it turns the light down when you go off a drop! I take it you haven’t had such an issue?

dovebiker

I have the Equinox and the remote is really effective – fumbling around to try and tap the back of your light at the point you want more or less lumens is a bit of a faff.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got an Equinox and the remote is lovely, I’ve also got the plug in battery extender which doubles its capacity.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve had both. I have a very old Diablo and I had the first gen equinox. I found the remote to be such a faff that I never used it and even when I ran the equinox at full tilt I found that I couldn’t justify the cost over the old Diablo so I sold it.

Reaching back and touching a button or tapping the light really isn’t much of an inconvenience. I think my Diablo is getting on for 9 years old now. Sounds impoosible but I’m pretty sure my wife bought it to me as an engagement present or something around that time anyway.

Top lights.

benp1

I’ve found tap to really work for me, I don’t ride in very rocky or gnarly areas, and you can change the sensitivity

I also ride multiple bikes so having to move the remote between bikes would be a bit annoying

jonundercover
    Free Member

I have an Equinox, its great. I can do a lap of Cwmcarn on it as long as I use low setting on the climbs. Superbright on full beam.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Equinox vs Diablo’ is closed to new replies.