Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Exposure equinox opinions.
  • peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Considering an equinox to replace my 8 year old ayup light, I’d be using it helmet mounted.
    Has anyone got any real world experience of these? Are they enough on the helmet on their own or do you still need a bar mounted light for the faster stuff?
    How long does it last when switching to high for techy stuff and using lower power settings for fireroads and the like?
    Is there any need for the support cell for a 3 hr ride?
    How is the support cell mounted? I can’t seem to find any info on this, does it just sit on another helmet mount or does it need to go in your pack/pocket?

Thanks in advance,

‘Nut.

johnnystorm

Can’t speak for the equinox but I have a diablo that I use a support cell with. I had my additional battery made by Smudge at MTB batteries who will make the lead as long as you want. I had mine made long enough to fit in the lower jersey pockets.

jerseymountainbiker
    Free Member

I have an Equinox. Brilliant light (literally). The support cell has a bracket to mount it to the helmet. You will get 3 hours out of the light but I always use the support cell so I am not worrying about the amount of time I spend in high.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got an equinox, support cell mounts on lid and if your sensible with the power settings you’ll get 4 hours out of it. You can use it on its own but I’ve got a bar mounted light as well. Bar mounted remote is a boon Great light.

dovebiker

I have one too – bright enough for everything except high-speed techy stuff. I like the remote feature as it really helps preserve power on longer rides – knock it down to low on climbs / fire roads etc and give it beans for the descent. Have the small Support Cell and looking to invest in the 4-cell version for all-nighters.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Fully charged it will last all night. The trick is to ride on low power which is more than enough along trails that are not to fast or technical and then high power when you speed up or the going gets tough. I have had mine for more than a year and have never needed a back up battery. I have found the remote to be excellent.
    I also have a Maxx D on the Bars which I use in much the same way. It makes for a superb riding experience as the bar light points where the bike does and the head light where I am looking. Also I switch the head light off for any sections of road I ride as it dazzles other road users.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As Mikedabear says, use it on lowish for climbing, full blast for descents, will last you no probs.

I have no idea why anyone would want to connect a battery and cable to an exposure light, kinda defeats the whole point IMO….

johnnystorm

I’d rather not connect an extra battery but if you want full power for dusk until dawn or a few evenings away it’s the only option save for sitting in a cafe for two hours each day by a socket!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d have bought a lumenator or similar then, half the price at least and will last for the time you require.

BadlyWiredDog

Not used an Equinox specifically, but my experience of riding just with a helmet light is that it messes with your depth perception and it’s sometimes hard to tell the difference between an undulation in the trail say, and a full-on step, so I’d tend to use a bar light as well.

On paper it looks brilliant. My one beef with Exposure’s conventional lights is that you can’t combine a remote switch and a back-up battery because they both use the same port.

What’s the beam pattern like btw?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My Equinox remote works fine with the extender battery plugged in.

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, that’s why it makes more sense than the rest of the Exposure range where you can have either an extender battery or a remote.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks, will be ordering tonight!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Exposure equinox opinions.’ is closed to new replies.