Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Explosive bowel syndrome avoidance….. Energy gel/powder advice pls…
  • v12jat
    Free Member

Happy new year!

Can anyone recommend a gel or powder that is easy on the stomach? I tend to use SIS go on longer/hard rides which has the desired effect, I have never ‘bonked’ when I use that in my bottle, unfortunately it has given me a dose of the aforementioned bad guts on numerous occasions! I try and avoid the caffeine based stuff as this is even worse than normal – especially mid race!

Post ride it’s a bit annoying needing to be within sprinting distance of the nearest toilet!

I usually use the SIS stuff due to availability at supermarket etc.

Advice appreciated cheers!
    James

druidh
    Free Member

SIS is god awful. Try Torq.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Druid speaks the truth.My arse twitches if I use an SIS bottle!Not had a re-occurrence of what I refer to as ‘the M6 hard shoulder incident’ since I’ve been using Torq (about 3 years now).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    getonyourbike
    Free Member

TORQ is all natural stuff so is easy on the stomach.

shedfull
    Free Member

You might be reacting to the aspartame or acesulfame that SIS put into some of their stuff. Look for one of the natural alternatives. I’ve found Torq to be excellent.

Also, don’t use a recovery product containing protein during exercise.

Phil_H

Torq for me too, although for me a dose of the Eartha Kitts is usually a sign that I’m over doing it.

titusrider
    Free Member

Cliff is my preferred, sis is ok for powder drinks but their gels mess me right up

lucien

Is this another Picolax thread?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had flashbacks when I read that post and a LOT of empathy with Mr Piccolax 😯

v12jat
    Free Member

It’s not a picolax thread honest!

I am definately getting some torq instead of sis!

frogstomp

I’ve never had any problems with High5 4:1 stuff..

jonba
    Free Member

Torq

hammyuk
    Free Member

Aptonia is very good too and obscenely cheap in Decathlon 😀

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve been using CNP for years and really rate it. The gels work very well and kick in quickly, and seem to have no nasty after effects. I also use their hydrating powder in my water bottles – again, no issues (if you will pardon the pun!).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another Torq convert here. One sniff of SIS and I can render a full on organ voluntary within minutes.

kcr
    Free Member

What concentration are you using? The recommended concentration for carb drinks is usually around 7%, but some of the manufacturers seem to list much stronger mixes (guess it sells more powder).
    I tend to just use fruit juice diluted with water these days.

soobalias
    Free Member

as you mention a bottle rather than a bladder, i guess its less likely that it is due to lack of cleaning
    but way back when, one of the big arguments for a camelbak was that the bite valve didnt get covered in shit thrown up from the trail, cow shit, horse shit, dog shit….

give another brand a try, but keep this in mind.

njee20
    Free Member

IMO SIS is awful stuff – the least palatable I’ve tried.

I personally like High5 the most, but would recommend Torq if you’re sensitive to such things!

thefaller
    Free Member

Only ride with neat water and buzz bars.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too recommend Torq, used there stuff on LeJog day after day and no problems. Funnily enough of recent plain old Zymm or Nunn appear to be causing me delayed one off blowout issues several hours after riding. I use a bladder pack that is cleaned along with the bite valve and tube (use oxygen tube and ditch it when it doesnt seem to clean up properly and got some bite valves in bulk via ebay. Not entirely sure if its not just meds/disease issues that are causing it. Hopefully some medical bod may be about shortly.

faceplanter
    Free Member

I’ve never had any problems with High5 4:1 stuff..

+1
    apparently the Protein 1 in the 4:1 is what helps your stomach. Was recommended this by a tri shop. The week before any tri they sell out of this 4:1 stuff but not Hi5’s other stuff.

Tim.

fizzicist
    Free Member

SIS is full of artificial sweeteners & preservatives (Ace K, Aspartame, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate) – none of these actually help you out – they’re flavour enhancers and mould inhibitors.

Ultimately your body needs quick release and slow release energy (simple & complex carbohydrates), mineral salts to alleviate/minimise cramps and a small amount of protein to help digest the carbs. Torq is a Maltodextrin (complex carb) and Fructose (simple carb – fruit sugar) blend with some electrolytes (mineral salts such as Potassium Chloride) in there so its pretty good. I’ve found it a lot better and done 24h & Kielder on the stuff. Their Rhubarb & Custard gel is tasty too.

I’ve recently tried High 5 4:1 as I liked the idea of the whey protein to aid digestion and have to say I found it easier on the stomach than Torq.

Ditch the SIS however – awful stuff which for some unknown reason, every bike shop seems to stock instead of Torq.

Clif is pretty good stuff, ZipVit is good too – their caffeine gels are amaaaaaazing!. Accelerade is supposed to be ok but I’ve no knowledge of its contents.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Torq for sure.

v12jat
    Free Member

i usually stick a full sachet in a 750ml bottle. sometimes i’ll finish it if its a longer ride, if its a relatively shorter ride but loads of hard climbing etc, i’ll not get through a full one.

gonna definately try torq i have heard good reports, maybe the zipvit caffeine gel for racing!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Torqs yummy, I actually really genuinely like the taste of pretty much all of their stuff.

funkrodent

Swear by 50/50 smoothie/water mix in the bottle and good flapjacks to munch on. Apparently milk is as good a recovery drink as you will get, no nee to outlay on expensive protein shakes etc. Certainly seems to work for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just quit the branded gel/powder gunk.

Though maybe you have a sugar/carbs intolerance. If not though…

Water + High Juice (50% juice concentrate squash, cheap supermarket brand, all sugar & carbs) + pinch of salt.

Done. And drink more than you probably think you should.

Ride nibble – Jelly Snakes (Natural Confectionary Co). And eat pasta the day before.

All that said, whether it’s suited for races I don’t know.

globalti
    Free Member

SIS, Torq and all the rest all contain maltodextrin, which is extracted from natural sources.

Maltodextrin being a concentrated carbohydrate, lots of people will get flatulance several hours afterwards. I certainly do.

Watch out with milk; as you age you become less able to digest lactose. It will also give you gut ache and wind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Torq actually tastes nice too

cp

Any of high5’s products work for me – very easy on the stomach and no side effects.

Torq is ok too.

SIS is vile stuff, both in taste and gut effect.

v12jat
    Free Member

anyone used the high5 extreme powder?

I know its got caffeine in, so anyone experienced bad guts with it? ❓

howellj1
    Free Member

I’d urge anyone who regualrly uses energy or recovery drinks to have a look at this nice summary of the British Medical Journal special issue on energy drinks and evidence (or lack of).
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2012/07/19/guest-post-the-bmjs-amazing-shock-and-awe-assault-on-sport-drink-science/

Save yourself a lot of money and abdominal pain!

winterfold
    Free Member

High 5 is good – especially the protein stuff (4:1?)

However Ive had a fair chunk of my guts cut out so every moment can be a bit explosive if not careful 😯 and much prefer bananas and oaty bars (Mule are the best by miles) and water or weak salty squash/zeros these days.

flange
    Free Member

Skratch labs is good too, although you can only buy it from the US – just order a big box of it.

Designed with sensitive stomachs in mind, its pretty good and tastes nice. Other than that, Torq all the way

michaelbowden

v12jat – Member
    anyone used the high5 extreme powder?

I know its got caffeine in, so anyone experienced bad guts with it?

Yes I had an explosive experience with said stuff 😥

grahamg
    Free Member

I was going to suggest ‘real food’, but then read your post… if racing or riding bloody hard for anything longer than 2 hours you definitely need liquid fuel.

As another brand to throw in the mix, try ‘Bikefood’ – it’s a relatively new company but it’s one that is very palatable (taste isn’t much different to squash even in higher concentrations), all natural ingredients and seem to sponsor/support the odd endurance freak so must be OK in that respect. Their gels (basically just honey!) are very good too but the bars are cack.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Explosive bowel syndrome avoidance….. Energy gel/powder advice pls…’ is closed to new replies.