Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 414 total)
  • Explosions heard at Manchester Arena
  • oldnpastit

🙁

beej

BBC reporting it was a bomb in foyer as people were leaving.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I just caught the breaking news on Sky news last night that there was an incident at a concert in Manchester before I went to bed. Waking up to have my worst fears confirmed 🙁 Truly horrific and RIP for those killed in the blast. And thoughts for those affected.

swavis

😥

sargey

A big up to the emergency services rushing into the unknown without a thought for their own safety.

Just been confirmed 22 dead-end 59 injured.
    C###s.

votchy
    Free Member

BBC reporting 19 dead and 50+ injured. Thoughts with all those involved
    BBC latest

v8ninety

Confirmed suicide attack. Coward

bodgy
    Free Member

Piers Morgan is already making political capital out of the attack on ITV: “So, how should the electoral candidates respond during the aftermath of a terrorist atrocity like this, given all the headlines over the past few days about Jeremy Corbyn’s Support for the IRA?”

A bit sick, in my opinion.

martinhutch

https://my.blood.co.uk/

Couple of sessions today at Plymouth Grove and Brown St.

Jamie
    Free Member

Piers Morgan is already making political capital out of the attack on ITV: “So, how should the electoral candidates respond during the aftermath of a terrorist atrocity like this, given all the headlines over the past few days about Jeremy Corbyn’s Support for the IRA?”

A bit sick, in my opinion.

It’s what he does, usually just to get a reaction. Same with whatsherface. Best thing to do is ignore them.

dantsw13

Sporting venue/concert attacks have been a big fear of mine for a long time. Any gathering of people outside the security cordon is an easy target. I’m feeling sickened reading all of this, and sadly there aren’t any easy solutions.

Huge sympathy to all involved/close to this.

allthepies
    Free Member

Shocking, and attacking kids too, big man.

I wondered if anything was up yesterday, lots of police in London around the transport hubs. Police with automatic weapons very visible at Waterloo station. Perhaps some chatter on the intelligence grapevine or maybe just pre-election precautions.

weeksy

Mrs Weeksy is due to be in the same place this weekend for Take That concert… Makes you think !

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sad sad news indeed.

stevedoc
    Free Member

No words

badnewz
    Free Member

Awful and very depressing. Probably intended to affect the election in some way. The fact it was aimed at kids makes it even worse to think about.
    Who’d want to brings kids into this world.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Big up to the people of Manchester for opening up rooms, taxi drivers getting people home etc.

Bunnyhop

I feel sick to the core.

You can help by donating blood. There will be special blood bank areas set up. Sorry I don’t have any info on where to do this.

deviant
    Free Member

Loving the apologists in this thread wriggling every which way to explain it as anything other than terrorism…..helium balloon, stampede….yeah right, we all knew what this was when the news broke but people have become so desperate to appear ‘PC’ that they ignore the threat currently out there.

It’s not racist to be recognise the threat of an extremist group FFS….it’s not racism at all, it’s not about ‘brown skinned people’ as someone so crassly put it in an earlier post….it’s about the hateful, violent, part of a current religious ideology that sees the West as nothing other than to be conquered or exterminated.

That’s real, that’s not racism and it needs more than planks like Philip Schofield tweeting pics of himself looking sad to sort out.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Deviant, its not apologism, get a grip and stop trying to start a rammy. Not the time or place.

lowey

Our wonderful city is in tears. I’m gutted, utterly gutted. I was in the Trafford Centre with my girls last night and I cant stop thinking what if.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Don’t be such a ******* moron deviant. People just weren’t going to immediately jump to conclusions before any actual facts were known.

igm

Ming has it. Much as I want to hit out at someone when I hear these stories, the best long term solution is showing your humanity. Sometimes people will abuse that sentiment, but ultimately you can not “win” without it.
    Well done to all those showing compassion last night. My thoughts with those affected.

On a personal level, in my head I’m back in Manchester 20 years ago when my then girlfriend, now wife, having dropped me off at Ringways changed her mind about going shopping in the town centre with a friend. She was absolutely fine, but pre-mobiles, and given the time difference to the States where I’d flown, it was between 24 and 36 hours before I knew that.

My thoughts therefore are particularly with those who don’t know where there lives ones are.

And deviant, there is a long history of bombing in Britain. This is just the latest chapter. We closed the last chapter through forgiveness and talking. You can’t fight terrorism with guns, security checks and hard borders – stop individual acts yes, but long term you need a different solution. Much as it may stick, you need to find what you have in common with people and work from there.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

igm + 1

Wonderfully put and sorry to hear about the traumatic memories this re-earths from 20 years ago.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad news, really awful. My thoughts are with parents, friends and relatives of those affected and the whole City of Manchester.

As for jumping to conclusions going right back to Cougar’s post last night given the world we live in today and the active campaign of incitement to commit attacks the LOGICAL first responce is that its LIKELY to be an Islamic Jihadist inspired terrorst attack UNLESS proven otherwise.

franksinatra

And deviant, there is a long history of bombing in Britain. This is just the latest chapter. We closed the last chapter through forgiveness and talking. You can’t fight terrorism with guns, security checks and hard borders – stop individual acts yes, but long term you need a different solution

Very well said indeed.

However, I can’t really find the words to to express my feelings towards people who do things like this. There are not words strong enough for those who target kids.

martinhutch

https://twitter.com/GiveBloodNHS?lang=en

Summary – don’t just turn up, but please keep your pre-arranged appointment if you have one.

So please disregard my earlier post.

deviant
    Free Member

As for jumping to conclusions going right back to Cougar’s post last night given the world we live in today and the active campaign of incitement to commit attacks the LOGICAL first responce is that its LIKELY to be an Islamic Jihadist inspired terrorst attack UNLESS proven otherwise.

About right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I often wonder if some people are secretly pleased when stuff like this happens – it feeds their internal bigotry loops.

I dunno, I remember a powerful quote around the time of the Brussels attacks (IIRC) that went along the lines of, “with all the shit going down in the world, who thinks it’s going to be fixed by blowing up a few more innocent people”.

molgrips
    Free Member

the LOGICAL first responce is that its LIKELY to be an Islamic Jihadist inspired terrorst attack UNLESS proven otherwise.

Ask yourself why you posted that.

This is a terrible thing. Let’s not tie strings on it, certainly not now.

lunge

And deviant, there is a long history of bombing in Britain. This is just the latest chapter. We closed the last chapter through forgiveness and talking. You can’t fight terrorism with guns, security checks and hard borders – stop individual acts yes, but long term you need a different solution

This is so true, I’ve shared this quote elsewhere.

“with all the shit going down in the world, who thinks it’s going to be fixed by blowing up a few more innocent people”

This is true too.

mrmo
    Free Member

Follow the money, where is the funding behind the ideology. You can’t “beat” terrorists with force you have to deal with the ideas.

Drac

My friend who posted on Facebook last night wasn’t looking for his friend but his teenage daughter, he found her but her friend is missing. 😥

PLEASE STOP NOW ABOUT WHO IS RIGHT ABOUT GUESSING THE CAUSE AND IT’S FAIR TO CLAIM WHO DID IT.

durhambiker
    Free Member

I can guess why he posted that, molgrips. And also why deviant agreed with him. It’s because they’re not particularly nice, tolerant or understanding people.

I’m hoping my fellow Mancunians manage to be more tolerant over the coming days and weeks.

angeldust
    Free Member

And don’t begin to insinuate I think that way, and/or I have issues with brown people.

Whatever the context, this is just massively ignorant. Hang your head in shame.

These attacks just make things worse for everyone. Innocent people die. The attackers make things worse for their ’cause’ (whatever that may be). Ignorant racists just hate even more. You can’t apply logic to these events, but they just cause further hatred.

Cougar

Update, GMP an hour ago.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Awful, simply awful.

After over 3000 people were killed in sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, inspired in part by Christian belief, and often funded by people in the US, we would do well to remember that the main thing about people who do this sort of thing is they are arseholes, pathetic gullible scum, who show no real understanding of their own religion. Hating the religion or reacting like one or two above (and there will be more) just gives pathetic inadequate dickwads more power than they deserve.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Manchester and its people are awesome. I truly love that city – one of the only other cities in the UK I would choose to live in – I’m always amazed by how much time I end up just chatting with strangers whenever I go there – friendly, funny, helpful city. They will rise above this. They will get on with life and be the tolerant, open, tough and compassionate people they’ve always been. They will go to concerts this weekend. They’ll show respect to and solidarity with victims like they’ve always done.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Whatever the context, this is just massively ignorant. Hang your head in shame.”

You need to check out the comment which prompted Wrightyson to clarify his position.

People were relaying reports of an explosion at the venue without pointing a finger at the possible perpetrators.

How can relaying such information be described as bigotry?

Cougar – Moderator

There’s a million possible causes for an explosion, not all of them are down to brown people with beards and rucksacks. It’s entirely possible that it was a terrorist attack; equally, it could’ve been a faulty boiler.

atlaz
    Free Member

People were relaying reports of an explosion at the venue without pointing a finger at the possible perpetrators.

Why were the perpetrators so vital to the relaying of news at that time? The problem, frankly, is lots of armchair experts are weighing in on subjects either because they like the sounds of their own voices or think its a good time. It’s not.

There’s plenty of time to talk about who did what and why later. The death toll is slowly climbing and people are still missing loved ones. Now is the time to think about the victims.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 414 total)

The topic ‘Explosions heard at Manchester Arena’ is closed to new replies.