Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Explain this unusual street furniture (Drain/Access cover content.)
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Someone told me there was an interesting story behind the function of these:

Cover

…but then failed to tell me what it was.

Anyone tell me what it’s for, and why it would be of interest?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think you need to link to the actual image (jpg) not the Whatsapp link to it

My immediate thought is that it’s designed to drain surface water through the grid on the right, and also has provision to be lifted for access.

edit – the image in the OP didn’t show for me until I reposted it!?

johnnystorm

It showed for me initially and then once you’d replied it vanished. Now it’s back!

Anyway, my dad was a BT engineer so I hoped he’d come across one, and sadly he doesn’t know either!

antigee

combined speak your weight / urinal – moved out from underground when public toilets closed in the sixties – probably work now got contactless payments

maccruiskeen

toast rack and waffle grill for tramps.

there are similar looking drains used in manufacturing situations where hot water is draining in large quantities and and has to be cooled before it gets into the sewerage system so in that situation the bit to the left of the drain is a water tempering system using the cold water system to reduce the temperature of water going down the drain.

but – apart from having a passing resemblance to your pic – its probably not that

joshvegas
    Free Member

I bet if flicked thw crud out the hole you’d find a bolt.

I’m going to say the solid part is sealed with a gasket around it.

Possibly for some kind of meter.

redmex
    Free Member

Its just a hit and miss cover you can still get new ones dont look the same, grippy no holes at one end wee holes at the other usually about 300×150 for a hopper heid, lets the water in keeps the muck out

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks Redmex one of these:

https://recessedmanholecovers.co.uk/300-x-150-x-35mm-hit-miss-surface-box.html

Any idea what would have been under it? (A meter as JoshVega says?) Pretty sure they’re Victorian?

redmex
    Free Member

There should be a wee shelf to trap the muck at the holes end, the vertical drain pipe sitting below the solid end

keithb

My guess is that it covers a rodding eye so that the spur from the main line to the gully could be cleared out.  Now not needed as pipes are now jetted from the outlet, not rodded from the inlet .

Total guess though…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, especially redmex! Like your theory keithb.

I’ll be honest, I’m not quite sure when this was considered interesting! Anyway, I know now. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Explain this unusual street furniture (Drain/Access cover content.)’ is closed to new replies.