Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Explain how a chain tug works please?
  • sandwicheater

I’ve just built up a single speed road bike (Salsa Casserole) and am finding the rear wheel moves on the drive side under power.

After some research it’s been suggested I get a chain tug (like the look of the Surly Tuggnot) but can’t quite get my head around what it does or how it works.

Does is get forced against the frame by the quick release and rely on the friction of it on the frame to stop the aforementioned problem?

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are meant for track-ends not the dropouts you have on your bike, so won’t work.

I think you can get some that replace the screws in the dropouts you already have, but the ones I think I’ve seen encircle the axle and thus would be a PITA.

You are using a decent QR, tight? I had no issues with mine.

tails
    Free Member

No they would not work on your frame, if thee QR does not work try converting the hub from QR to bolt. If they are Hope hubs this is easy if not I’m unsure.

sandwicheater

Blast. Thanks guys. I’ll try and rough up the scewer body so may bite the frame better. Failing that bolt may be the way forward.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If only the internet wasn’t full of folk describing their track-end dropouts as horizontal dropouts I might be able to find a pic…

Actually I was getting cunfussled…I don’t think there’s a product to help you, bar a good QR – tried shimano?

xiphon
    Free Member

You might want one of these -> DMR STS

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009

sandwicheater

Thanks Xiphon. Wanted to keep the rear as clean as possible. The bike looks lovelly if only it would bloody work!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

How would that help?

xiphon
    Free Member

Ah, I missed the road bike part, sorry!

If the hubs are cup’n’cone, you might be able to do an axle swap for bolt-up?

nick3216
    Free Member

solid axle. proper nuts. 15mm spanner in toolkit.

sorted

Gunz
    Free Member

I had the same snag with my Surly Cross Check and solved it using an old (2000’ish) Campag QR, they really bite.

BigJohn

I have an old road bike with horizontal dropouts. The sort where the wheel comes out at the front.

I bought a pair of chain tugs and with some judicious filing have made them able to fit and work.

I filed a couple of flats into the curved rear of my dropouts to provide a bed for the screws of the chain tug and I filed a bit off the back plate so it all fits.

This isn’t mine but it’s the same idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Explain how a chain tug works please?’ is closed to new replies.