Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Experiences of talas vs dual position
  • damascus
    Free Member

I currently run rs revelation dual position forks 140/120 travel.

I’m just looking at a new set of forks and the talas seem to be a lot cheaper at the moment than they used to be. I haven’t run fox forks for years and just wondered what system people preferred. Anyone used both?

I’m kind of set on rs as mine have been great and I like the look of the black stanctions.

Does the fit 4 make a lot of difference over the fit?

Thanks

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve used the old TALAS (2012) and DPA Pikes from 2015. Not a fair comparison, but I preferred the Rockshox. Not sure what a 36 Fox to a Pike would be though.

timmys

Also probably not a fair comparison but:
    Talas III (2010 36’s) = shite
    Pike dual positions (2014) = great

Davesport

Lots of seals in the Talas system. It definitely blunts the forks response to small hits/washboard surfaces.

tom.nash

I wouldn’t bother with either tbh, far less things to go wrong (and better performance) with solo air forks imo.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The latest Talas is probably the best travel adjust system on the market and has less moving seals then DPA.

mikekay
    Free Member

ive got 2014 pike dp and think they are great, they do need the tokens in them which you can with the 2016 but ive had Push internals put in them to help compensate.

timmys

they do need the tokens in them which you can with the 2016

You can put tokens in any age DP Pikes, it’s just only relative recently they started selling the tokens though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remember the L in talas stands for Linear, it needs better compression damping to get the feel of a good air fork back.
    Never really liked TALAS, do you have a bike that needs the lower front end

Northwind

Thing is these days they’re all “climbing modes” basically, ever since Rockshox binned uturn there’s not been any genuinely adjustable shocks that work right at all lengths. Because turning a dial was too onerous apparently, it’s much better to flip a lever and have a fork that doesn’t work as well as it could.

So if you want to just drop the front for a climb, they’re OK. if you want to ride around with it shortened, they’re all various degrees of rubbish.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a salsa horsethief that’s designed for either 120 or 140 fork.

I run it at 140 most of the time but for technical climbs it’s so much better at 120. It doesn’t bob about etc.

Like northwind says, it’s only for climbing and they feel terrible riding at 120. Always have done from new.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Experiences of talas vs dual position’ is closed to new replies.