Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Experiences of SRAM XX1
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Would like to find out your experiences of the latest SRAM XX1 11 speed. I am looking at a new bike which has a 32T front ring and a 10-42 cassette on the back. Surely that front 32T is too small? I do a lot of road cycling and time trials so used to using big gears. I use mountain bike a lot during the winter months and do a lot of on road training on mountain bike.

pipiom
    Free Member

Mine’s 30 and it gets me up most IOM stuff. I’d struggle with a 32 TBH.

otsdr
    Free Member

32 is a good starting point, you will most likely find a 30 necessary on steeper stuff.

honourablegeorge

XX1 gives a 10t at the back though – so a 32 front is equivalent to a 35.2 with an 11t rear

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

On a 29er?
    I run the same set up on mine and use it for everything, commuting, training, racing…

I start to spin it out at a little over 50kph given the chance.

On my last bike (a 26er) I ran a 42/28 front with an 11-36 cassette. I basically lost the biggest and smallest gears.

Compared to your roadbike 32×10 is almost exactly the same as 53×16.

Of course if you’re not running a 29er then you may want to get a bigger chainring if you’re doing a lot on the road.

HTH.

mintimperial

I run a 32 on a 29er, it’s plenty big enough for anything properly off-road, and I’d not want to go any larger really. I use the 32-42 a lot where I normally ride (Dark Peak/S. Pennines) If you’re worried about regularly spinning out on tarmac or really smooth trails you might be looking at the wrong tool for the job.

jamesg55
    Free Member

I’m running a 34 up front on a 650b wheel.

jonnyrockymountain

Yeah I’m 32 generally, sometimes change ie 34 in dry summer months or go to 30 in winter slop, I’m also running oval ones which make a difference

njee20
    Free Member

Adam nails it, I’m exactly the same.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input so far. What about the actual quality of the kit though? Have been using Shimano XTR for many years now.

coogan
    Free Member

Run a 30 and bang on for all the stuff I ride.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Cassette and cranks are a work of art. They have given me zero problems, chain works as a chain, i do run it with an xtr mech and shifter, as I generally prefer the feel. For some reason sram gxp bbs seem to die on me, so I use hope with gxp adaptors.

Great kit but like the feel of xtr shifter so run that, no concern over quality

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’d been an XTR user for years abd went XX1 with a 32T on my 27.5 Bronson – best thing ever! Not quite as slick a change as XTR, but far more ‘definite’ and the 1 x 11 with XX1s range is fantastic.

Highly recommended. I quite fancy trying XTR Di2 1 x 11 just for the bling factor, but can’t see that happening on my next bike.

soundninjauk

I run 32 on mine (Whyte G150, 650b), and whilst I was in the lowest gear for some climbs last I was in the Dales most of the time it’s pretty on the money (normal riding is down south, Swinley Forest etc.). I might try a 30 once the 32 wears out and see if I start spinning out on roads.

I don’t notice any major quality difference over XT, and am definitely a 1x convert although I think mine’s X1 rather than XX1. I do find it hard to remember the different names for the SRAM price brackets.

njee20
    Free Member

What about the actual quality of the kit though? Have been using Shimano XTR for many years now.

I changed to XTR mech/shifters when they became available, I was disappointed with the feel of XX1 grip shift, having been a big fan of the 9 speed stuff. I found it very fussy about cable set up, but friends didn’t find it so bad, so YMMV. I think Shimano mech/shifters with XX1 cassette (and your choice of cranks) is the best set up personally.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Experiences of SRAM XX1’ is closed to new replies.