Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Experience of new M780 pedals please!
  • oxym0r0n

The bearings on my old XT SPDs have just died on my “best” bike (XT, SLX, MartaSL, Thomson type level of componentry)

So, do I get some M540s to replace them @£28.50 or is it worth paying a bit more (£44.99) for the M780 race? Are they more supportive of your foot? I guess no-one can comment on longivity yet?

Thanks

adsh
    Free Member

If they are like their new XTR bretheren they do support the foot more but at the expense of clearing mud,snow etc. My new style XTR race pedals were a nightmare in the recent snow. I took them off and use my old XT pedals from 2 years ago.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The XT’s are better in mud and snow than XTR due to having a deeper pedal body, I use the XT’s on my cross bikes for racing due to this, so do several Shimano sponsored pro riders.

dannybgoode

M520’s even cheaper – don’t see the point of spending more…

Cheers

Danny B

oxym0r0n

540s look much nicer and have more sealed bearings than 520s. I have a set that have lasted ages on my SS, so worth the extra £10er at least IMO

getonyourbike
    Free Member

They’re all good and will last forever, especially if you service them now and again, which is dead easy by the way.

I know they’re not the same, but the M785s I’ve got are brilliant and servicing them only needs standard tools, while the lower end pedals need a special tool. The special tool is really cheap but it’s annoying all the same.

oxym0r0n

Okay, so I took my current pedals apart, tightened bearings, filled the body full of grease – put them back together, which purged the old grease. Sorted!

So, final purchase decision delayed for a bit longer 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Experience of new M780 pedals please!’ is closed to new replies.