Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Expanding bungs, talk to me
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay for obvious reasons star nut cant go in my new carbon forks so i need an expanding bung, now is there anything i should know or look out for or any that are specifically for off road use?

I was thinking of this 52mm one, is the extra length a good idea? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITM-CARBON-1-1-8-ROAD-BIKE-EXPANDING-STEM-CAP-EXPANDER-/370704147854?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item564fb0658e

stevied
    Free Member

Hope Head doctor?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ive read its a bit too thick for some steerers.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think I have a head doctor if you want it for minimal dosh

teasel
    Free Member

I opened this thread with caution. I’m happy to say I’m relieved…

The BBB version is good at its job IME.

Edit : The units you link-to are almost identical to the BBB type.

toys19
    Free Member

Head dr sucks in my experience..

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I opened this thread with caution. I’m happy to say I’m relieved…

Well thats just your dirty mind.

Is insertable length important?

teasel
    Free Member

Fnaar, again. 🙂

I went for the longer length going on the idea that a larger surface area would grip better. I’m sure someone will prove otherwise in a really scientific fashion, though…

dantsw13

Remember, the job of a star nut/fork bung isn’t to hold the fork tight, but to provide Pre-tension before the stem bolts are tightened in place. It is the stem bolts that provide the strength.

teasel
    Free Member

But if they don’t secure well enough you’ll never get the headset tight enough. I had a bung that continually pulled-out before the correct tightness was achieved. This type of bung doesn’t cause that problem, hence the overall grip I alluded to.

cookeaa

Head dr sucks in my experience..

I’d say the Head Dr Blows more than anyhing else…

This thread was pretty much guaranteed to attract double entendre rather than useful advice…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

This thread was pretty much guaranteed to attract double entendre rather than useful advice…

Was it too much to hope for both?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Well ive gone with the 32mm one, its still longer than most and the knurled finish should give grip.

Now ive just got to cut the forks….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Expanding bungs, talk to me’ is closed to new replies.