Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Exotic Carbon Bars
  • chillidave
    Free Member

Has anyone tried a set of these? Wide, light and low I thought they could be very popular but can’t find any reviews. I’ve a set of their forks I’m very happy with but the idea of a bar fail is pretty scary.

neninja
    Free Member

That’s seriously light for a bar that wide. I’d rather sacrifice some weight and get a set of Carbon Havoc’s for £30 more from Merlin if I wanted a carbon bar that wide.

geetee1972
    Free Member

157g! That is nuts for any bar let along one that’s 750mm wide.

That said, the new 35mm Easton bar is a full 800mm wide and weighs 220g, so cut down it may come in under 200g.

Still, I trust Easton a whole lot more than some brand I’ve never heard of.

I think use at your peril? That’s how I would see it anyway.

thedon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

druidh
    Free Member

As a brand they’ve been around for years and lots of other brands are the same with a different logo. Ove not heard of any issues with their forks and seatposts, so can only assume they know what they’re doing.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of road bars and a mtb fork, both carbon, both fine.

I probably over tightened/over fatted that seat post, but I’d bit buy another.

smiff
    Free Member

most times i’d say go cheap, but this i wouldn’t, because even if it didn’t fail, it would ruin my riding worrying about it.

mtbmadness
    Free Member

i have a set of exotic carbon bars and carnt fault them mate

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’ve snapped Bontrager xXx bars in the past and had bigger crashes with a set of Eastons, with no problems (to the bars!!!).
    I’d buy Eastons again.

Superficial
    Free Member

To be fair the Easton Havocs are pretty overbuilt (designed for DH racing). So whilst these are a lot lighter than those, they’re only a (stated) 13g lighter than Easton’s “Trail” carbon bars, the Haven. I probably wouldn’t use them myself, but for light use I suspect they’d be fine. On the other hand, 750mm bars kind of suggest the rider might give them a hard time.

Plus £60 isn’t THAT cheap.

smiff
    Free Member

this is a trust thing isn’t it.. there are brands that i’d trust to do their own testing (Easton, Thomson, some others) and others i’d rather see independently tested. i’d rather have a bit more weight and less worry with some good alloy bars!

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear the only person to use them was positive however it’s hard to make the numbers stack up. I’d be happier if they were a little narrower and a little heavier. £60 is a bit much just to try out.

messiah
    Free Member

See also these… MT Zoom

I’m just not sure I would.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Do not buy any carbon bars other than Easton or Syntace.

Generally don’t take risks with components that stop your craniofacial region from planting the floor.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I had some carbon bars from Sunline 155 grams ish 685mm.

Lent my bike to a mate (a bit heavier than me to be fair 70kg to about 80kg) and they snapped on him.

Reckon would nt go lighter than about 175gram for say 670mm now.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

PS I’d been riding them quite happily for about a year before this, his face after the crash was not a happy sight.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I think Sunline recalled a load of their carbon bars a while back. I saw a pair snap in the alps.

I was intrigued by the exotic bars but don’t want to be a test pilot. Easton’s CNT jobbies should be nigh on unbreakable.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah they recalled the 31.8mm but not the 25.4mm, which I had.

think they probably should of recalled the 25.4mm too.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I use the exotic carbon bars on my nukeproof mega, very light indeedy but do seem very well made,if they can stand the abuse of a lakes descent they must be ok…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some people are real suckers for marketing bollocks aren’t they?

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have these. Landed some pretty big stuff on them. These meet all strength tests required… would not be able to sell them otherwise.

chillidave
    Free Member

I went for these in the end, very impressed. Nicely finsihed, very comfortable shape and light. Only ridden a few times but I don’t see any reason to doubt the longevity, yet.

tang
    Free Member

take a look at enve.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Errr… is anyone else thinking, long bars are big levers, bigger stresses on the stem join. Id rather have a face and have to ride around with 100grams more…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Exotic Carbon Bars’ is closed to new replies.