Exmoor routes

Home Forum Bike Forum Exmoor routes

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Exmoor routes
  • You could use these 🙂 (Exmoor "Bike marathon" routes, they look good)

LINKY TO MAPS ON PICASAWEB

RaglanSurf

Thanks Mr Lightyear

snaps

Azarat's your man for that area but he's off to Brechfa with us tomorrow for the weekend but I'm sure he'll be riding up there later in the week.
    EE routes are usually good to follow also http://exmoorexplorer.com/Explorer/Home.html

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

If you are staying in the Doone Valley there's a cracking ride right outside your tent.Follow the Doone Valley down Badgeworthy Water pass Cloud Farm through remains of a medieval village then across Brendon Common.If you want more head for Hilsford Bridge and Watersmeet .Just check out the OS map .There's loads more around Dulverton Aand Simonsbath and a bit further a field follow our safari route from Minehead.That was a corker .You could start that one from Porlock save driving back as far.

RaglanSurf

Hi All,

Heading off to Exmoor tomorrow for a week of camping, beer and biking. Has anyone got any routes they could point me in the direction of? Probably staying in the Doone Valley but happy to travel a bit to the ride.

Looking for 20-30 milesish.

Cheers

tang

im off to porlock on sunday, staying at poolbridge campsite at the top of the horner valley. stayed there before and like it. its mainly for the kids so im looking at slipping out for 2-3hrs, like the look of the above 25km bike marathon route. any links to your safari route oldfart? cheers.

woodsman

I'm pretty sure I stayed there last year with an ex, a campsite by a river? We did a ride from a guide book, it was very scenic,with some nice singletrack here and there, we descended to Porlock, had lunch and rode back following the route. I'd recommend the ride, the small guide book series 'vertebrate graphics – Nick Cotton, South West Mountain Biking'. It would've been great if it wasn't such a nightmare – not ride related!

Enjoy, best of luck

Pete aka Woodsman

tang

thats the one, by the river.

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

Tang sorry been out all day.Might be too late.Reckon if you click on my profile and do a bit of digging you could find the route.Basically its Minehead Dunster,Grabbist Hill Wooton Courtenay Brockwell Dunster Path Webbers Post Stoke Pero Horner Allerford Selworthy .

Premier Icon singletracksurfer
    Subscriber

The green is a good intro or the blue route on that link (the other half that is different from the green) is also a (tougher) cracking route.

Loads good stuff to explore around Horner wood etc as well. Have fab time. I'm off there next week too. Yipeee.

Dont miss this "track" on your way off Dunkery

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=286250&Y=139630&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1

…it's quite challenging, especially after rain.

allthepies

That's the rock-bed wheeltrap-tastic descent isn't it ?

I'm gonna be riding on Exmoor on Friday 28th for the day if anyone fancies joining me.

Not sure where yet, but probably start around Minehead way.

allhepies – yep, spot on. I came across it on what I thought was going to be a regulation xc day…. Cant believe all the traffic during the Exmoor Explorer heads down that route, must be carnage with so many riders.

For the record, made it about half way down, did a slow speed 180 degree spin then slid down on my side feeling grateful for mtb helmets. Ms AD did much better but didnt clear it.

This one the other hand, although extremely cheeky, is a beautiful trail

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=289935&Y=148605&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1

ride it early, or late and enjoy the sunset as you ride down towards Porlock.

allthepies

>For the record, made it about half way down, did a slow speed 180 degree spin then slid down on my side feeling grateful for mtb helmets. Ms AD did much better but didnt clear it.

One of our mob cleared it last time we were there. Reckoned that following the water course was the best way.

yeah, less greasy where the water is still flowing generally. Next time…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor routes’ is closed to new replies.