Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Exmoor explorer
  • dropoff

Hey, just checked the route for next Sunday, were all in for a real good ride, so who's doing it and who's gonna be at the pasta party Sat night.

snaps
    Free Member

I did a recce up there yesterday in advance of next Fridays EE warm up ride & its still very soggy in places!
    Also if you're doing it, I'd recommend a good insect repellant.
    Took this pic from Bossington hill looking west

Clink

I'll be there with a mate, but we're going up early Sunday morning. Looking forward to the half-way cakes already 😀

dropoff

We were riding there both days this weekend, sat was ace and sunny/dry sunday was very different but most of it drains quite quickly 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

Woo Hoo <waves> yep me & my mate will be there for another blast on some of Exmoor's finest next Sunday.

I would be grateful to any locals letting me know the trail conditions say next Friday so I know whether to bring my 'slicks' or my 'wellies' 😆

dropoff

CB at the moment I would have to say wellies:) but we'll be up there Friday and sat so may be able to give you an update.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Cheers dropoff – appreciate any help you can give on the type of tyres to bring front. Can you let me know on Friday please, only I'm travelling up on Saturday.

dropoff

Hi CB, would be glad to, but as I'll be camping in porlock I'll not have any internet. If you want to drop me an e-mail with your mobi no. I'll text you on Fri.

crispybacon
    Free Member

dropoff – ygm 🙂

dropoff

CB, received, nice title:) Have you ridden on Exmoor before ?

crispybacon
    Free Member

This will be my 4th Explorer on the bounce plus I had a two day tour bimbling round Dunkery Beacon/Selworthy Common/etc with a mate a few years back & I've loved it everytime I've been there. Oh and I took part on the recent STW Q's ride too.

dropoff

I think this one will have a great feel to it, it's so cheeky it even uses our Friday night pub downhill run. 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

is anyone having probs downloading the mmo file???

thekingofsweden

We will be there on the Tandem 😀 should be a good one

And yeh couldn't open the .gpx or mmo files so have had to do it the old fashioned way !

Milkie
    Free Member

I'll be there with a few mates.

Staying at Exe Valley Caravan Site here and making a weekend of it. 😀

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I've booked my place but I'm not sure I can be arsed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

gpx and mmo files opened ok for me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Fine for me also – need to join all 3 and make a course out of them to follow instead of 3 separate gpx files!

My Mate and I are doing it as we were too late to register last year – did it the year before – hope its dry 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

We missed out last year too!!!! But did the route mid September, some very big puddles, top of the wheel deep!

Looking forward to it.. Does it take in Stoney Lane again?

billybob
    Free Member

hope so – stoney lane is my favourite part – i get to ride it then go back & ride my gf's bike down as well.

keyses2

I'm doing it for the first time and also stopping at the Exe Valley Caravan Site to make a long weekend of it:-)

delusional
    Free Member

I'm going to be riding it for the first time.

Does anyone know what the access to the campsite is like? I've got the option of borrowing a comfy campervan to get a good nights sleep it, but it's a reasonably wide coachbuilt that I've not driven before so I'm not overly comfortable with taking it down lots of narrow lanes.

In fact, does anyone know the specifics of where the campsite is? Either the details on the website aren't that great or I'm having eye site problems today.

singletracksurfer

which is stoney lane – I can think of a few places that would qualify?

Milkie
    Free Member

which is stoney lane?

Had a look at the map and it looks like we aren't going down Stoney Lane. 😥

If you look at the map, where it says "2009 Exmoor Explorer Aug 2nd 10.00am", its the bridlepath just to the left of that.

Not sure if the organisers would be too pleased if we took a detour?

charlierevell
    Free Member

What can I use to add my maps together? My mac doesn't seem to make it that easy.
    I just want a whole GPX or course to upload if poss?

Milkie
    Free Member

Has anyone noticed that the GPX is not available on ExmoorExplorer.com?
    It now says available soon.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup thats because I informed Stephen that one of the files seemed a bit dodgy – references in it to a walk in the mendips and wouldn't display properly on my comp. I have sent him 3 GPX files I exported from my MM V5 and they seem to be OK – I guess he'll put them up very soon. FXR

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have used TCX convertor to merge the 3 GPX files into a GPX and TCX course file – I uploaded it last night to my garmin and seems to work OK but have not tested it compared with the supplied route as yet – PM me if you want a copy but as I said I haven't made sure it works 100% yet but my garmin shows it OK as a route so….

TCX Convertor website (free)

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW – Got a reply off Stephen and so should be up again soon.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've just been looking at the route on MM and there seems to be two slightly different versions of the long route, 09 POR POR and LONG EXP09, I also seem to have gained a load of walking routes from Walking World. 🙁

srrc
    Free Member

To bring you all up to date………….
    The camping is the sports field right in the middle of the village, because of the village fete no access until after 5pm on the Saturday. You are welcome to camp Sunday as well at no extra charge. If you want to come on Friday that's fine too, but let us know as we have a different (but very close) field organised for that so you don't have to move on Saturday.
    Pretty much all the tracks are no problem in the wet, there will be serious puddles, but no bottomless perdition. The forecast is quite decent for Sunday, so fingers crossed.

The route will be all marked out, but check the map anyway.

GPS has been giving me aggro!
    This evening (thanks to Foxy) fresh verions of gpx and mmo will go up. We've been using Memory Map all winter in the planning with no probs, then when we start posting stuff all sorts of old stuff seems to get sucked up from MM's bowels.
    So apologies, I hope it's all correct now.
    I've done it as 3 separate sections for 2 reasons, smaller files and leaves the Long Loop as an extra. Can you join it up OK?

Any MM geniuses on here? How can I "clean" the map of any old routes? I used to just delete, which worked fine, but this time it's taken all the lines away but left waypoints behind.
    Steve

srrc
    Free Member

Just a thought, make sure you go to the official site for the downloads

null

The .co.uk isn't ours and the downloads may not be correct.

Steve

dropoff

I thought all this gps malarky was supposed to make it more difficult to get lost 🙂 Think I'll stick to my good old map.

Dibbs
    Free Member

but this time it's taken all the lines away but left waypoints behind.

Same here, I've got a series of Waypoints around Porlock that I'm unable to unlock or delete.

dropoff

You're all doomed. Gonna ride around porlock for the rest of your days 🙂 Still theres worse things.

srrc
    Free Member

Alarmingly, if I click delete on the route showing on the map it clears everything, even in the saved routes.
    Dibbs, save elsewhere and then delete the whole lot, my errant waypoints vanished!

Moral of the story? Use a map!

dropoff

I'm worried now that on my travels around the country I may trip and fall over one or more of these way points. Please pick up your litter from the countryside 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

on MM I use the hide tracks routes etc – if you delete the track the waypoints still show up and then you have to delete each waypoint. Goto top left menu option – can't remember which one its the one with import in the list – at the bottom it says hide all or hide certain types of ovelay also you can show all of the overlays and delete them them from there.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Dibbs…. can you just transfer me the route on the day IF i get there early?

dartmoor_rocks
    Free Member

The route this year is fantastic surpassing previous years gems. Tough but | am sure no one will be disappointed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor explorer’ is closed to new replies.